Honshu» Forums » Rules

Subject: 2-Player game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jakub Niedźwiedź
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the loser of the trick have to decide whether he/she wants to remove resources and choose a pair of cards immediately after players reveal their cards or can he/she wait till the winner makes his/her decision and then veto it?
We decided for the first option, which means the flow was as follows:
a. Both players simultaneously reveal a map card.
b. Loser (lower card played) decides whether he/she wants to choose a pair of cards (by discarding two resources) and give the remaining pair to the other player.
c. If the loser declines to act, the winner of the trick decides to choose a pair of cards and gives the other pair to the loser.

I assume that after the third and ninth rounds both players exchange their hands of three remaining cards. Is that right? The play of the next three rounds is then more tactical, as both know what the other player has in hand.

Just an observation: player order cards are not needed in the 2-player game, as both players play simultaneously in the trick-taking phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olav Fakkeldij
Netherlands
Beverwijk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 & 3 I agree

1. No, the order in the rules say: the player with the higher bid decides which cards he wants, after that the other player may decide to pay 2 resources to take those cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kalle Malmioja
Finland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
2 & 3 are correct. Cards are changed and the player order cards are not needed.

1. The flow of the trick is like olavf put it

Players simultaneously play cards
Winner picks a pair and only after that the loser can pay two resources to take that pair instead, giving the winner the other pair.

The timing on this is little odd, I know. The reason why it is like this, and not the way you described, is that the loser should really want the cards.

If it was I win, you pay, you choose then you might pay for nothing. I could have picked the pair that you didn't want so you just lost two cubes for nothing.
Now that it is I win, I choose, you intercept then the two resources mean something. They are not wasted and it can bring surprises to the winner. In the two player game the game is almost full information so knowing when to take away from your opponent could be the little extra thing for victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Niedźwiedź
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for a swift answer. And thank you Olav for coming with the right answer as well.

The reason for my interpretation was that the English rules say:
"...before the winner can take the cards, the loser may choose to remove any two resources from their own map and take either of the pairs instead...", which is a little misleading in the context of your explanation - the loser would do it only to take the pair chosen by the winner (not to take either of the pairs).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.