Hide
16 Posts

Cry Havoc» Forums » General

Subject: Cry Havoc First Time Play - Game Rules Most Often Missed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Indenture Forlife
msg tools
I am going to play Cry Havoc with some friends for the first time and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to rules or game play that is most often missed, forgotten, or played incorrectly.

I am hopeful that this post can be used by other first time payers in the future so please add anything you think will he helpful. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indenture wrote:
I am going to play Cry Havoc with some friends for the first time and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to rules or game play that is most often missed, forgotten, or played incorrectly.

I am hopeful that this post can be used by other first time payers in the future so please add anything you think will he helpful. Thank you.

Follow along on the player aids located on the faction mats and battle mats and you shouldn't have much difficulty. I suggest reading the strategy guides for the Pilgrims and Machines for the players that get those factions as they are more difficult to grok than the humans and trogs.

Remember to play to each faction's strength. You won't win the area control game with the Pilgrims and wading into battles with the Machines will spell disaster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Petersen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
What are those!
badge
このていどだな、ね?
mbmbmbmbmb
That your HQ counts as a space for scoring and events
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Shrike
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The number one rule I have to keep reminding myself about is to check to make sure I only use the tactics cards that match the terrain of the region where the battle is happening.

Most common I have seen asked here or from other players:

You can only play a card or building when it explicitly says it can be used in a region with a battle marker. Outside of that battle regions are locked down.

If a region has a battle but, one side gets wiped out before the combat phase, no battle happens and the battle token is removed from the region when one side is removed.

The tokens, generated by the Human Watchtower and Artillery, only gets used up when there is a combat involving Humans.

The draw actions lets you draw from the four terrain tactics decks as well as your own deck.

Trogs don't have to stop when they enter regions with Trog tokens like the other three factions. In fact they can run around the map activating the Trog tokens as they pass through.

Enable scoring is a whole action into itself and requires you to spend the card that has the action on it. That is all you do.

Your HQ counts as a region you control and is essentially a safe zone. I cannot be invaded and your units cannot be attacked in it. You can also not build anything in it.

Odd interpretations:

When you take the draw card action the card you pick goes to your hand. All cards you play are put into your discard pile. The game has deck building mechanics. There is no way to remove cards from your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trogs only score half points for gems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Missed rules my us:

In 3 player trogs don't retreat they gain a orange token in adj region.

You only get default + 2 skills (we've been playing with 5)

Remember to add a crystal to each battle!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. During a battle, only one enemy prisoner can be taken. But that prisoner will give a VP each turn unless he is redeemed by its owner--Trog prisoners in 2-3 player games cannot be redeemed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oak Wolf
msg tools
chas59 wrote:
1. During a battle, only one enemy prisoner can be taken. But that prisoner will give a VP each turn unless he is redeemed by its owner--Trog prisoners in 2-3 player games give no points but cannot be redeemed.

I had assumed that Trog Prisonners in 2-3p did give points, actually, but could not be freed (encouraging the other players to avoid letting trogs fall as prisonners, especially early on). Any reference on this one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry; my mistake. I meant to say that prisoners taken by Trogs give no points!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkmancer wrote:

Sweet merciful. That's too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Carter
United States
Neptune
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules I've easily messed up include:

1. Forgetting to add a crystal at the beginning of every battle.

2. In a 2-3 player game, the trogs disappear after battle and are replaced with a nest token.

3. In a 4 player game, Trogs score half on crystals.

Hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:
Darkmancer wrote:

Sweet merciful. That's too much.

We found it fine tbh. It was more a case of remembering the stuff in the rule book which was the problem.

I suspect it unbalances the game though, the humans in particular have several skills which boost each other, the Troggs less so.

I don't even like to think of the machines without the transformation skill, it's their defining skill really (and their best).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Grant on this. However,It is notable that some of the Strategy Guides talk about a particular skill of a race without noting that it won't necessarily be in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Smothers
msg tools
thatach wrote:

WHAT

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tetsuo2k wrote:
thatach wrote:

WHAT

That is why we put a control marker there in setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And one is printed on each HQ as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.