Mythos Tales» Forums » General

Subject: Is the theme a must love? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Walmsley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking about playing this with somebody who has no interest in Cthulhu or scary monster stuff in general. For those who have already played, do you think a person like this would still enjoy the game if they liked puzzle solving or would the theme really put this person off playing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's generally much more puzzle solving but there's an undercurrent of the creepy monster stuff. Our group plays it for the chance to talk about the clues and ponder them and argue where to go next. So far, we have wanted to not find any monsters - they cause you to lose points. If they were neutral on the theme, it would likely be just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think fondness or even familiarity with Lovecraft is necessary to enjoy this game.

I played three cases of it with my mother, who, although a mystery fan, is entirely unfamiliar with Lovecraft (and not a fan of horror or sci-fi), and she loved it. She had previously played and enjoyed Sherlock Holmes: Consulting detective, which was far more in line with her tastes. Of the two, she prefers SH:CD, but likes MT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walmsley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
themanfromsaturn wrote:
I don't think fondness or even familiarity with Lovecraft is necessary to enjoy this game.

I played three cases of it with my mother, who, although a mystery fan, is entirely unfamiliar with Lovecraft (and not a fan of horror or sci-fi), and she loved it. She had previously played and enjoyed Sherlock Holmes: Consulting detective, which was far more in line with her tastes. Of the two, she prefers SH:CD, but likes MT.

Thanks, exactly the reply I was hoping for. I've never played SH:CD before as waiting for the new edition. Would you say the puzzles in Mythos Tales were logical and of sufficient difficulty?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, I would rate the mythos tales mysteries as somewhat easier than Sherlock Holmes mysteries.

Despite the supernatural elements, the internal logic is sound. The red herrings are somewhat more obvious, and the leaps of logic needed to solve the case are more intuitive. Some of the Sherlock Holmes mysteries had very far fetched clues, and the one case that had a quasi-supernatural element to it is widely considered by the community to be unsolvable as written.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.