$30.00
$5.00
$15.00
$20.00
Shaun Z
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I'm thinking of buying to play with my wife, but she really really enjoys the narrative aspect of games, and not so much the losing and trying again parts

I don't want it to be super easy, but maybe a bit easier than intended, so that she'll at least want to play..

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
burnface wrote:
I'm thinking of buying to play with my wife, but she really really enjoys the narrative aspect of games, and not so much the losing and trying again parts

I don't want it to be super easy, but maybe a bit easier than intended, so that she'll at least want to play..

Thanks!

Some legends have an "easy" mode. The rest would be house ruling.

- characters get more starter items or gold
- Get rid of the negative events, so every day starts with good news.
- Monsters do not add identical rolls
- +1 shield (farmer) in the castle
- ignore the N, just play on

There are definitely ways, IMO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There isn't an overall way to adjust difficulty for the game.

But the game has several openings or opportunities that you could easily take advantage of to make the game less difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you know the game, adjusting the difficulty of a legend is pretty easy. However, a lot of the challenge of each legend is figuring out the right strategy, and/or spotting a trick or two.

If you're serious about winning each scenario when you play it with her, you might want to read spoilers, and/or play each scenario solo first, so you know how to guide the party as you play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen Balzer
Germany
Unterneukirchen
Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A very simple way to make the game easier is the following:

- instead of moving the narrator 1 space for each killed monster you just wait until you killed a second one.

--> So: 2 killed monsters = 1 step narrator

When we first played the game we completely forgot this rule. The game was quite easy since we rushed around and killed each monster in the world before starting to play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

There is GREEN CARDS for easy mode in KOSMOS edition.

For FFG edition you will need houserules.

Also there are official rules for easy play, but only in german: http://legenden-von-andor.de/faq/leichter-spielen/

Quote:
she really really enjoys the narrative aspect of games

Narrative in LoA not that great. It was a little disappointment for me. But it became better in Star Shield and Journey to the North.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are lots of ways to adjust the difficulty in Legends of Andor. Of course you can use a lot of house rules as suggested by the previous posters (I would advise just adding an extra shield to the castle as the easiest way to significantly reduce the difficulty), but there are lots of official ways to reduce or increase the difficulty as you see fit (see below).
Most (if not all of these) have been translated to English by now and are free to download. You can mix and match most of these with each other and with your own house rules to tune the game to exactly the right difficulty you desire.

Reducing difficulty
Base game
Mini-expansion "the last campfire" (free to download)
Mini-expansion "the Battlements" (free to download)
Tips and tricks and rules for easier play: Original German document, English translation
The English Kosmos edition contains "green cards" that reduce the difficulty. These cards are unique to this edition and are not included in the FFG edition or in the original German or Dutch releases.

Star shield expansion
Mini-expansion "the wishing wells" (free to download)

New Heroes
Contains "the brother's shield" mini-expansion to reduce difficulty of all legends in the game.

Journey to the North
Contains "the bard" to reduce difficulty of legends 7-10.
Contains "empowered wells" to reduce difficulty of legends 7-10.

Increasing difficulty
Base game
Mini-expansion "Call of the Skrals" (free to download)
"The gor chieftain" mini-expansion (free to download)

Star Shield expansion
Contains an extra legend card for a more challenging game.

New Heroes
Contains "the drunken troll" mini-expansion to increase difficulty of all legends in the game.

Journey to the North
"Mermaid Irja" mini-expansion (free to download)

Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
Uncivil wrote:
Quote:

Also there are official rules for easy play, but only in german: http://legenden-von-andor.de/faq/leichter-spielen/

Quote:

Narrative in LoA not that great. It was a little disappointment for me. But it became better in Star Shield and Journey to the North.

Not quite true, dear Watson gulp

Have a look here: Official ways for easier play

Might be inclined reward GG to files of the GREEN CARDS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for translation! I just thought about PDF booklet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Z
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Ahh these are all awesome suggestions, thank you so much! Will definitely be buying this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uncivil wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

I never realized the green cards were unique to the KOSMOS edition and was about to just suggest to use all the green cards to make the game easier. Glad that is the version I got!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Z
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Grumsh wrote:
I never realized the green cards were unique to the KOSMOS edition and was about to just suggest to use all the green cards to make the game easier. Glad that is the version I got!

Same!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.