Subject: Bidding and Fixing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Bright
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Given DEW North, if there is going to be a bidding system perhaps it should be in units of Shadow VPs rather than FSP corruption.

Or, perhaps the simplest 'fix' is to make the Shadow victory condition 11 or 12 VPs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jarvis
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just out of curiousity, what is this bidding system you were mentioning?

And I know I keep mentioning this is other threads, but the victory conditions are fine as they are. I think the 10 VPs is more than enough, and it keeps the tension of the game well in hand.

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Jupiter
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Okay, I have to admit I don't know this yet. What's DEW North?
Jdc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Bright
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
DEW North
Naragrath wrote:
Okay, I have to admit I don't know this yet. What's DEW North?
Jdc
Take a look at strategy threads from about Jan last year. It involves sending armies from Mordor to attached Dale, Erebor and Woodland Realm.

Many experienced WotR players think it is very strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jarvis wrote:
Just out of curiousity, what is this bidding system you were mentioning?

The primary purpose of a bidding system is for tournaments. A secondary purpose is to increase the variety of strategies; if one side tends to play the same way every time, then the bidding system might create some ways to counter that "best" strategy.

Quote:
And I know I keep mentioning this is other threads, but the victory conditions are fine as they are. I think the 10 VPs is more than enough, and it keeps the tension of the game well in hand.

But, if the Shadow wins virtually every single game, in exactly the same way, it does get rather boring, doesn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arneson Stidgeley wrote:
Given DEW North, if there is going to be a bidding system perhaps it should be in units of Shadow VPs rather than FSP corruption.

My suggestion is to bid extra units. This has been a pretty successful approach for Axis and Allies tournaments. The bid is the number of extra "points" of units that the opponent gets to place in friendly settlements of his choice, before game start. One point to place a regular, or leader, or nazgul, or upgrade a regular to elite. Two points to place an elite. Regulars upgraded at start go back into reinforcements.

If DEW North is dominant, Free players can take their bonus units in that part of the map.

While I haven't tested it, it seems to me that it would do the job, offer finer resolution than the VP alternatives (a bid of 1 unit point must be worth less to the Free than increasing the Shadow VP requirement to 11), and does more to "balance" the Shadow alternatives (because the Free player can place the extra units so as to counter the most attractive Shadow options).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wojtaszcyk
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
one idea from the WBC is to bid extra rings. Say, lost Dwarvish rings. But with the twist that they can be used to convert a die to a will of the west and the shadow player doesn't get to use them.

so a person could bid 1 dwarven ring to play the shadow player. giving the FP one more die change above the elven rings. Also allow use of one elvish and one dwarvish ring a turn max. So if the SP player rolls zero eyes, there is a greater chance the FP will be able to move 4 spots uncontested... effectively racing quick enough to have a chance at defeating a full DEW attack.

typically in the DEW north strategy, bad dice from the FP will kill them, or not rolling a WoW to upgrade a fallen Gandalf... bidding extra dice for the FP to use would give them more options during the game without changing the overall mechanics of the game. (corruption pts, military VPs, etc...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Sylvan
Sweden
STOCKHOLM
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
As for bidding, I think you should bid on how many steps that the FSP Progress Marker should start at, when the game begins.

A bid of 1-3 should be enough to fix the unbalances of the game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls