Sylla» Forums » Variants

Subject: Reducing famine rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Colvin
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I've always been a bit frustrated by how quickly the famine marker runs away to maximum by the third round making Fields little more than "two points x remaining rounds"

We just played a game with the following house rule:
During the first consul phase, increase the famine track by 1 for each famine marker showing on the events after the first one.

It worked extremely well. In the first round, the track did not go up at all and two fields weren't even bid on. And yet by the final round, it was on 6.

When the "Famine" event came out in round two, this had much bigger effect than in previous games and there was a scramble for the remaining field.

Obviously it's very hard to judge the success of a house rule on a single game, but we're certainly going to use it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds interesting, although it could swing the balance too much to the other side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Colvin
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
geki wrote:
It sounds interesting, although it could swing the balance too much to the other side.

Yup. I'm definitely not saying that's not the case, but if anyone else tries it out I;d be very interested to hear how it works for you. Also worth pointing out that we only play with 4 players (sometimes even 5) so it never happens that a player has more fields than there is famine by the normal rules.

It's also worth mentioning as feedback that in our game Granary came out in the second round before the famine marker had started rising and so it had very little effect. It could well be that a Granary in round 3 or 4 would have suppressed the famine too much.

I think what I like most about it was how it gave players a bit more control as a concerted effort to remove events causing famine is now actually viable. Best of all, it made the Famine event much more serious which those without fields desperately wanted to stop, especially when it came out early [much like how everyone rallies round to nip Earthquake and Military Defeat in the bud]. In the past, the Famine always seemed pointless since Rome was always starving anyway.

Another variant I'd considered:

Add a third 'grain' symbol to the fields in the A deck. This way players who buy early fields will be much better protected, but it's still impossible to predict how many points this will save them overall.

I'd still be interested in trying this some time, but after yesterday's success we'll definitely be trying that some more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.