Subject: Euro gamer finding Euro-ish Ameritrash games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Morris-Jeter

Fort Collins
Colorado
msg tools
mb
I know this is likely common but I wonder if anyone else is feeling this way about these games. I am a Euro gamer at heart. But I go to different game nights where my favorite games might be a bit too heavy, long or fiddly with components. My favorite games are the ones that come from What's your Game. I just feel they have a simplicity in actions but an extreme depth in play.

I picked up Blood Rage and immediately fell in love. Not a million pieces, draws gamers in, elegance in play, multiple strategies and just all around fun. I love that 12 characters can die in an instant and you can score points in death, even if you don't score, its somehow satisfying. I lose all the time because I make "cool" decisions instead of "smart" ones. This led me to check out Cry Havoc. To me it was the opposite. A ton of strange rules, extremely fiddly etc. Didn't go over well with the group. I was pretty surprised actually. I wanted to love it. But really, I would rather play Blood Rage any day.

Is there anything I should be checking out? I have my sights set on Inis and also Great Western Trail. Thanks for the discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Sky Traders. It's kind of a mashup of euro and ameri games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaos in the Old World
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would take a look at Kemet.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
You fell in a pit on the first turn. Good job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
I would take a look at Kemet.

Bye
Thanee

Yea, this and the other Matagot XL games (Cyclades and Inis) seem to fit the bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:

This and Kemet are great recommendations. However, acquiring Chaos in the Old World requires a small fortune these days.

Others to look into:

Shogun / Wallenstein - Imagine El Grande with battles.
Cry Havoc - Haven't played it yet, but supposedly it fits right in this category well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Cheow
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
I'll add blood rage to the list as well.

Edit: im an idiot. OP started on Blood Rage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For a couple options from the classics, consider these:

Tigris & Euphrates
Samurai

Also, Yedo is a worker-placement game that has great thematic integration. Add the nasty cards (forgot official name) into the deck for some extra meanness.

For some "weuro" games, look at these:

1775: Rebellion
Dominant Species
Struggle of Empires
(The last 2 being better at higher play counts.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
Abiezer Coppe wrote:

This and Kemet are great recommendations. However, acquiring Chaos in the Old World requires a small fortune these days.

Others to look into:

Cry Havoc - Haven't played it yet, but supposedly it fits right in this category well.

You should read the OP. He already complained about Cry Havoc. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Fury of Dracula as well. It is AT but has some Euro things happening.

I just picked up Merchant of Venus and it looks like it will be in this hybrid category also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Galactic Coliseum is currently on KS, but an interesting blend. Has minis, looks and sounds like your typical Ameritrash minis game, but the mechanisms are pure Euro. Might be it will scratch that itch for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Western Trail is pure Euro.

Have you looked at Mare Nostrum: Empires? I haven't as I have the original Mare Nostrum. But it has Euro(ish) aspects plus also plenty of inter-player conflict.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morris-Jeter

Fort Collins
Colorado
msg tools
mb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:

Yes I think I need to check this one out. There are a couple for trade in the math trade. Maybe I can snag one with Cry Havoc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morris-Jeter

Fort Collins
Colorado
msg tools
mb
andyl wrote:
Great Western Trail is pure Euro.

Have you looked at Mare Nostrum: Empires? I haven't as I have the original Mare Nostrum. But it has Euro(ish) aspects plus also plenty of inter-player conflict.

Yeah. GWT may have the right elegance and also draw in gamers. Mare Nostrum looks cool though. I will put that on the list to check out for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morris-Jeter

Fort Collins
Colorado
msg tools
mb
thedacker wrote:
For a couple options from the classics, consider these:

Tigris & Euphrates
Samurai

Also, Yedo is a worker-placement game that has great thematic integration. Add the nasty cards (forgot official name) into the deck for some extra meanness.

For some "weuro" games, look at these:

1775: Rebellion
Dominant Species
Struggle of Empires
(The last 2 being better at higher play counts.)

Yes Yedo may fit the bill. I will add that to the list as well. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morris-Jeter

Fort Collins
Colorado
msg tools
mb
Really, I think what I am looking for was hard to put into words. In my example of Blood Rage It brings an absolute joy to play, easy to teach, strategic, not long and has the replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morris-Jeter

Fort Collins
Colorado
msg tools
mb
Has anyone tried Eight Minute Empire Legends?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeetra84 wrote:
Has anyone tried Eight Minute Empire Legends?

I, and my friends, like it. Its a nice game, not expensive and a good game to start or end the night on..or even as a filler.

Worth a try.

I will add that although Nexus Ops is squarely Amerithrash, to me it feels a bit euro-y...the rules are super clean, and its not just about obliterating each other, but rather fulfilling "mission" cards.

Its a nice, succinct game that feels smooth and streamline and looks a bit euroish due to the hex board.

Definitely worth a try.

Also try:

Evo (second edition) i really enjoy this one.
Small World
Rattus
Discworld: Ankh-Morpork
Kemet
Cyclades
Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Redward wrote:
thedacker wrote:
Abiezer Coppe wrote:

Others to look into:

Touché. The irony is I _did_ read it and didn't recommend it in my first post. Then I wondered why later on and added it to my second-thoughts post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morris-Jeter

Fort Collins
Colorado
msg tools
mb
thedacker wrote:
Redward wrote:
thedacker wrote:
Abiezer Coppe wrote:

Others to look into:

Touché. The irony is I _did_ read it and didn't recommend it in my first post. Then I wondered why later on and added it to my second-thoughts post.

Haha. No problem. Cry Havoc has a lot of cool stuff going on. I really want to love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
Redward wrote:
thedacker wrote:
Abiezer Coppe wrote:

Others to look into:

I had to do it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
actmoon wrote:
Edit: im an idiot. OP started on Blood Rage.

No, everybody should have a second copy of Blood Rage. laugh

Anyway, BR was designed by Eric Lang, who's made *many* Euro-influenced Ameritrash games. Definitely look at his other games, particularly recent ones. His Rising Sun KS will be next year.

Mythic Battles: Pantheon might be worth looking at, if you like mini's and don't mind the dice. The Activation Deck is an interesting mechanic Euro-trashers *might* like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Bedz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not check Mare Nostrum: Empires? In my opinion it is very good hybrid between ameri and euro game. Also it includes negotiations and trading between players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
OmNomGmr
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
Omnigamer and Game Devourer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New game by CGE might be a good fit:
Adrenaline

Ameritrash theme with Euro mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Lynch
Canada
Canning
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyclades with Cyclades: Hades is my number one game with Blood Rage being my number three.... seems like it is the prefect answer for what you are looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.