Subject: Questions after first game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie Harr
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
1. Movement. The rulebook leads me to believe that heroes can move their move value for free one time before they do anything else. Is this true or do they still have to pay for it?

2. can you teleport through walls?

3. The first mission map has the walls around the camp, do they block movement? LOS? I see in a later mission you actually put barricade markers down on top of the map. If they don't then I am a bit confused about what is on the map and what they do.For instance, if the walls around the camp dont stop movement then how do I know if the walls of buildings do? etc?

4. The main bad guy in the first mission (forgot name) as the spellcaster ability but I didn't see where he had any spells. Am I missing something?

5. In the first mission it says characters have to spend an extra movement to move out or into a hut, does this also apply to the bad guys?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony dybacz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. First time you move in a turn, you use free movement. Note: you can perform an actions before using free movement.

2. Yes

3. They block movement (probably). If they block LoS is up to you. The rules as they stand leave a lot of terrain up to the players.

4. He does not have spells here

5. Yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Harr
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
But if you do an action before you move you lose the free move, right?

Like you said, they may block movement. It seems odd we don't know what the terrain does
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Brazelton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddieharr wrote:
But if you do an action before you move you lose the free move, right?

Like you said, they may block movement. It seems odd we don't know what the terrain does

Nope, that's only for the bad guys. For heroes, you can use your free movement at any time in your turn, but you can't take part of it, take an action, and then use the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddieharr wrote:
1. Movement. The rulebook leads me to believe that heroes can move their move value for free one time before they do anything else. Is this true or do they still have to pay for it?

To me it looked like the rules were specific about the fact you had to use your free movement before performing an action, so this is what I thought as well. It looks like this might be another area where the rules did not get translated correctly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rccoll wrote:
eddieharr wrote:

To me it looked like the rules were specific about the fact you had to use your free movement before performing an action, so this is what I thought as well. It looks like this might be another area where the rules did not get translated correctly?

The rules say "if you perform an action, lose your free movement points". BUT you don't start your turn with your free movement points, you gain them anytime you want before your first movement. It's just a convoluted way of saying "You have to spend all your free movement points at once, or you lose the leftover"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rccoll wrote:

The exact text is (Heroes' Book pg 11):

Quote:
Once per Action phase, a hero can gain a number of movement points equal to their movement value if the hero has not yet performed a Move during that phase.

i.e.: if you have not yet moved (whether via free points nor spending gems on it), you can, once per turn, gain your allotment of free movement points.

It goes on to say:

Quote:
When a hero performs an action other than a Move each turn, the hero loses all of their movement points.

So, you start the turn with an attack. At that point you lose all your movement points. That's okay, because you had none! Then you decide to take your movement: you get a number of free points equal to your Movement rating. If, in the middle of that move, you perform a non-move action, you lose any remaining movement points, after which you can only move by spending gems to do so.

Presumably, "Movement Skills" count as "movement" for this purpose, but that's only my assumption (otherwise it would be impossible to put free movement points into, e.g., Wall Wrecker).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Favre
Switzerland
Sion
Valais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
So, you start the turn with an attack. At that point you lose all your movement points. That's okay, because you had none! Then you decide to take your movement: you get a number of free points equal to your Movement rating. If, in the middle of that move, you perform a non-move action, you lose any remaining movement points, after which you can only move by spending gems to do so.

Stephan is perfectly right. The french rulebook explicitely gives this example. It says something like that:

Quote:
If for any reason, you interupt your first movement without having used all free movement points, these are lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
dYnkYn wrote:
sgbeal wrote:

Stephan is perfectly right. The french rulebook explicitely gives this example. It says something like that:

Quote:
If for any reason, you interupt your first movement without having used all free movement points, these are lost.

Also how I interpreted it. It sucks there are 2-3 instances of rules contradicting each other, but I'm chalking that up to the poor translation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hillean wrote:
Also how I interpreted it. It sucks there are 2-3 instances of rules contradicting each other, but I'm chalking that up to the poor translation.

How/where do these rules contradict each other?

Or do you mean that the English and French contradict each other? (See the Guard section for a clear case of that, where English incorrectly separates Armor dice into a separate pool from other defense dice.)

When in doubt, French is the native/official version. (Unfortunately, i can't read more than about 4 words of French, and can't properly pronounce even a single word of it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like they were trying to over explain and the message got lost a little. My initial belief turned out to be what the actual rule is since that's how the movement rules exist in over 90% of the miniature games out there, you can't split movement points, it's use it or lose it. Thanks for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Do
msg tools
I was confused by this as well tonight, glad I found this thread. I was really thrown off. The example they gave in the book too was that Conan does a circular strike and takes out a few guys, then takes his movement and as there was a character blocking him, he needed three movement points and couple of those points were 'base' points. That threw me off quite a bit, but this thread here has clarified immensely, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.