Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year, I was fairly new to the hobby, at least in a serious way, and was in a bit of an acquisition phase. Based on the many good reviews here and comments in other places, I decided to order Snowdonia from my FOGS. Having recently visited Switzerland and experienced the Jungfraujoch, I was thrilled to see that it was available as an expansion, and eagerly added it to my order.

Fast forward a year, and Snowdonia has seen a lot of solo plays. It has become popular with my weekly game group as well, and I never lack for opponents in that quarter. As a result of subscribing to this forum, I gradually became aware of the myriad other expansions and odd bits and bobs that Mr. Boydell has created to allow us to more fully live the Snowdonia life. I've had the Daffodil Line on my "Want to buy" list for many months now. I recently picked up the Carriages expansion at the BGG store. And now (thanks in part to the ongoing Jack Vasel Memorial Fund Auction (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/215192/jack-vasel-mem...) the collector bug has gotten hold of me and I've taken an interest in acquiring more Snowdonia content. (Not great timing - In another recent thread, the location of which I have sadly forgotten, it was suggested that Snowdonia is one of the most difficult games to be a "completist" of. TB replied that he was satisfied to take 2nd behind M:tG. )

Now, to get to my point, here's the odd thing: Apart from being prone to the "collector" bug and the "completist" obsession, I'm also someone who likes to savor every experience before rushing on to the next. (I was always the last kid to finish opening Christmas presents, because I'd sit there and play with the first toy I unwrapped.) In the case of Snowdonia, it means that I'm still playing the base game after more than a year. I haven't even taken the shrinkwrap off of Jungfraujoch/Mt. Washington. I haven't even tried the Blaenau Ffestiniog scenario! What possesses me to want to own Snowdonia: Pen-y-Gwryd Hotel, when I haven't even finished enjoying the base game!? Does anyone else have this problem?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really bother with tony's strange and wonderful trains but I paid a bit more then is sensible for mt washington & jungfraubahn.
the different scenarios make for great replay and a a lot of them are just different enough to throw people of their track and make them pay attention to the differences.

Tony's blog is the place for a lot of my daily laughs and appreciation of all things homely and british (and swearing and dirty FLGS stories too)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gilbertson
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
... I think if I do the math, it would be considerably less expensive for me to be a drug addict than the hard-core gamer/collector that I am today!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Vogler
United States
Maryville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tony is more than generous with his content and aside from the full scenarios you should be able to print your own copies from his gallery. I have done so and have even managed to replace a few with the real thing. I know that doesn't help if you *have* to have the real McCoy.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in a similar situation. While, for me, it is the lack of opportunity that keeps me from playing all these expansions up to now (played the base game twice or three times, but have owned the game for years), I am also a completist at heart. Well, at least regarding promos and expansion material that have a decent price tag. The item (items?) in the auction have made me realize (at least regarding Snowdonia) that there always will be things I will never own - and made me accept it. Maybe this will help me to also get over my completist bug with other games, too...

I also dislike to print these things myself, as the quality difference would always irk me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, picked up a lot of the expansions for Snowdonia but played hardly any yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in the same boat several unplayed expansions, but I am planning for the future. When I finally retire I will have time to play them all :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dmoser22 wrote:
Now, to get to my point, here's the odd thing: Apart from being prone to the "collector" bug and the "completist" obsession, I'm also someone who likes to savor every experience before rushing on to the next. (I was always the last kid to finish opening Christmas presents, because I'd sit there and play with the first toy I unwrapped.) In the case of Snowdonia, it means that I'm still playing the base game after more than a year. I haven't even taken the shrinkwrap off of Jungfraujoch/Mt. Washington. I haven't even tried the Blaenau Ffestiniog scenario! What possesses me to want to own Snowdonia: Pen-y-Gwryd Hotel, when I haven't even finished enjoying the base game!? Does anyone else have this problem?

Yes, yes, yes, I have the same issue. Not with Snowdonia specifically, but with games in general. Many of the games I own are unplayed or even in shrink. Not because I don't want to play those games or can't find people to play them with. Also, it's not uncommon to play 50+ games a month, so time is also not really an issue. But I'm just not finished playing with the others. The other games still have interesting arcs, strategies I haven't pursued, tactics I haven't tried. I just haven't seen it all. This means many great games are still waiting on my shelves. I know I'll like them for sure, because they're the type of games that I love to play.

The "collector" bug and the "completist" obsession is also part of me, but I'm learning not to pursue it at every cost, although I regularly fail at that. For example, I really enjoy Dominion, have played it over a 100 times, but I only own the base game. On the other hand, the number of Age of Steam maps I have is painfully high. :S

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.