Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to get Mottainai played with my game group, but I have no idea how to 'sell' it. How would you quickly describe Mottainai to get people who know nothing about it interested in trying it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"No, I'm not making these rules up...just be patient with me while we get through them"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
If they've played any other similar/related Carl Chudyk game ([especially] Glory to Rome, Uchronia, Innovation), then I'd call it Glory to Rome: Essential Edition

Though it may be more familiar if pitched as similar to San Juan, Race for the Galaxy, wherein you're building a tableau of cards. Like these two titles, the cards are currency, but you don't have to get rid of them.

Or, "A tableau-building card game with multi-use cards, and every card has the potential to be overpowered."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brodie17 wrote:
"No, I'm not making these rules up...just be patient with me while we get through them"

That's somewhat similar to my usual pitch. For some reason it doesn't work...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Wocken
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
Freelance Game Graphic Designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"You play as Buddhist monks making trinkets to sell in the temple gift shop. Every card can do five different things and your brain might melt a bit, so let's stumble through one game together and it'll make more sense."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pandawear wrote:
"You play as Buddhist monks making trinkets to sell in the temple gift shop. Every card can do five different things and your brain might melt a bit, so let's stumble through one game together and it'll make more sense."

Hahaha...we are super unhelpful. But it's true.

It's a tough game to explain/sell. But if you can get through the rules, and it clicks...it really is a great game. We love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"It's a really good, highly random, brain-bending, very strategic card game that usually takes less than half an hour to play, once you know the rules."

Honestly, I'm not sure I would even want to try to teach it to people I don't know. With people I do know, I generally have a sense of whether or not they would enjoy it, and they generally trust my judgment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
Honestly, I'm not sure I would even want to try to teach it to people I don't know. With people I do know, I generally have a sense of whether or not they would enjoy it, and they generally trust my judgment.

That's key.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never thought of it that way before, but Darin's post up above did click for me. Describing the gameplay as being like San Juan meets Race for the Galaxy does seem apt to me. It's definitely faster than both of those though. I'd probably go with something along those lines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't know about you guys but 'round here the chance to run a Buddhist temple competitively is most people's dream... goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I had to finally drop the theme completely to sell it with a bare bones mechanical explanation. "You use only cards to build an engine and where you play the card decides what it does. Lots of options but once you get it everything goes really quickly." Somehow that worked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.