$20.00
Jeremy Santiago
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see Gandalf the White in this final expansion. I also thought that there should be a tactics version of Sam at some point. He does put his sword to use throughout the movies/books. I'd like to know what others thought/want to see in the closing box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Cairo
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
There will be a final? I haven't heard this, except for the fact the story will then be fully told through the game--
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
SSGMightyMouse wrote:
I'd love to see Gandalf the White in this final expansion. I also thought that there should be a tactics version of Sam at some point. He does put his sword to use throughout the movies/books. I'd like to know what others thought/want to see in the closing box.

Sam's gonna need to kick ass if they're gonna take back the shire. Unless of course they pull a Peter Jackson.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
derdefender wrote:
There will be a final? I haven't heard this, except for the fact the story will then be fully told through the game--
final saga expansion

also, i'm predicting ring-bearer Sam, Gandalf the White, and a quest for scouring of the shire

not sure about everything else. i mean obviously the black gate and destruction of the ring of course, but that's a given conclusion at this point. one prediction i'll make about that is i think it'll be a quest with two staging areas, similar to the riddle quest from The Hobbit

i'm hoping we'll see something from the crossroads (more than simply it as a location)

i think we'll see henneth annun as a location, possibly the forbidden pool as well

either way, i'm interested in this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Final Saga Expansion.
The game is dead, I'm calling it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Brown
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
roborob wrote:
Final Saga Expansion.
The game is dead, I'm calling it.

A bold move! No one has ever dared to make such a prediction!!*

*in the past 15 minutes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew D
msg tools
mb
dr00 wrote:

also, i'm predicting ring-bearer Sam, Gandalf the White, and a quest for scouring of the shire

i predict we won't see any of the above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mcd1982 wrote:
dr00 wrote:

I do think we'll see a Scouring of the Shire eventually, but more likely at Gen Con or a Fellowship event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Boggs
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen speculation, rather more in hope than anything else, that we could get another saga after that provides quests covering the destruction of Dol Guldur, the battle before the Lonely Mountain (where Dain Ironfoot dies) and the Scouring of the Shire.

Its a great idea. I suspect they may do them as GenCon quests, but I can live in hope
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles wohlganger
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would expect to see Gandalf the White as an attachment; probably something along the lines of "Put a Gandalf in the discard pile into play and attach this to him. Gandolf cannot leave play unless he is destroyed."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charek wrote:
I would expect to see Gandalf the White as an attachment; probably something along the lines of "Put a Gandalf in the discard pile into play and attach this to him. Gandolf cannot leave play unless he is destroyed."

They basically have this card already in The Treason of Saruman Saga.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mcd1982 wrote:
dr00 wrote:

that's not really a prediction. you're just hoping i'm wrong but not saying anything you think we'll actually see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A prediction that you won't see something is a prediction, if not a particularly bold one.

I'd very much like to see Ringbearer Sam, but since each of the saga expansions is theoretically independent, I don't expect to see one. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, even if it's a two-sided fellowship hero featuring Frodo and Sam.

I don't expect to see "Gandalf the White", as the earlier Gandalf hero is just "Gandalf", not Gandalf the Grey. The earlier Gandalf hero is plenty awesome and powerful by himself, and with the Beyond All Hope attachment is certainly Gandalf the White.

I don't expect to see the Scouring of the Shire as one of the three quests, since it is denouement and not climax. I'm expecting these quests:

1) The Tower of Cirith Ungol (probably with captive ringbearer, outside chance of Ringbearer Sam).
2) The Plains of Gorgoroth
3) Mount Doom/The Black Gate Opens -- simultaneous big battle and attempt to dispose of the ring.

I do think Scouring of the Shire would be an excellent GenCon/Fellowship event quest.

Including the black gate opens the door to more outside heroes, since the ringbearer's story doesn't justify anything but Frodo or Sam. (Though a new Frodo with a ringbearer Sam would be most excellent.) Maybe a Gwaihir hero would be appropriate.

I hope, as I hoped in the previous release, to see Elladan (leadership) and Elrohir (tactics) allies, but do not expect it.

I expect powerful player cards and difficult quests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dalestephenson wrote:
A prediction that you won't see something is a prediction, if not a particularly bold one.
i think it's unlikely they specifically thought that those things would not be in this box before reading my post, therefore i see it as a disagreement, not a prediction.

but anyway,
Quote:
I'd very much like to see Ringbearer Sam, but since each of the saga expansions is theoretically independent, I don't expect to see one. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, even if it's a two-sided fellowship hero featuring Frodo and Sam.
they opened up the possibility that we could get a ring-bearer other than Frodo in the first box. there's also the fact that Frodo isn't in every box as the fellowship hero. i think Frodo will be in the final quest in a different way (as a double-sided objective ally or an objective ally who slowly becomes corrupted by the ring as a loss condition for the quest)

Quote:
I don't expect to see "Gandalf the White", as the earlier Gandalf hero is just "Gandalf", not Gandalf the Grey. The earlier Gandalf hero is plenty awesome and powerful by himself, and with the Beyond All Hope attachment is certainly Gandalf the White.
i just said Gandalf the White, not that he'd be a hero (or even an ally). i think Beyond All Hope is likely what i envisioned, so it is probably that then.

Quote:
I don't expect to see the Scouring of the Shire as one of the three quests, since it is denouement and not climax. I'm expecting these quests:

1) The Tower of Cirith Ungol (probably with captive ringbearer, outside chance of Ringbearer Sam).
3) Mount Doom/The Black Gate Opens -- simultaneous big battle and attempt to dispose of the ring.
i see #2 being part of the Mount Doom side of #3. in fact, #1 could be a part of that as well.

i don't have the first box (cos it's still not here in my country), so i don't know what quests have already made it in.

Quote:
I do think Scouring of the Shire would be an excellent GenCon/Fellowship event quest.
i don't disagree, but something tells me we'll see it in this box in some way. i don't find it odd that they'd release gencon quests that insert into the storyline, but i do find it odd for a prologue-like quest, which is why i think we'll see it here. it's not the climax, sure, but it ties up some story ends (and doesn't have to be only about fighting off sharkey)

i don't feel super strongly that we'll see the scouring, but i think it's likely (more likely than a gencon quest, but i'm not ruling either out, and i feel somewhat strongly we'll see it in at least one of those)

i guess i'm sort of taking back my gandalf the white since he's in the beyond all hope attachment (i had forgotten about it, but maybe that's what led to my prediction)

for some reason, i feel very strongly we'll see a sam ring-bearer. i honestly don't know why, but i just feel it. in fact, i'll be somewhat disappointed if we don't get it haha.

i have also seen some prediction for Elladan and Elrohir allies, and i'd love to see those as well. i'm also prediction an Eomer ally that calls to his new kingly status

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dr00 wrote:
dalestephenson wrote:
they opened up the possibility that we could get a ring-bearer other than Frodo in the first box. there's also the fact that Frodo isn't in every box as the fellowship hero. i think Frodo will be in the final quest in a different way (as a double-sided objective ally or an objective ally who slowly becomes corrupted by the ring as a loss condition for the quest)

I agree that the very first box opened the possibility of a ring-bearer other than Frodo, by specifically referring to a ringbearer fellowship hero, as opposed to specifically naming Frodo. The Hobbit saga and the two Aragorn LOTR saga boxes do name the heroes. That's the slim thread of hope for ring-bearer Sam, as is the fact that this box covers the only portion of the quest where Sam was actually a ringbearer. Frodo not being included in Treason of Saruman or Flame of the West is irrelevant -- Frodo was not present in Book III or Book V, and naturally would not be the "fellowship hero" for those quests. Neither Aragorn fellowship hero has the Ring-bearer trait, so the final saga expansion is the only hope for a non-Frodo ringbearer. Oddly, the two Aragorns are *not* technically allowed in the other's saga box, unlike the Frodo clan.

Quote:

i see #2 being part of the Mount Doom side of #3. in fact, #1 could be a part of that as well.

i don't have the first box (cos it's still not here in my country), so i don't know what quests have already made it in.[/q]

Yes, and I'm probably in a minority in thinking the journey from Cirith Ungol to Mount Doom will be its own quests. But here's my thinking:

All previous saga boxes have had exactly three quests. This one will as well.
All previous saga boxes have drawn strictly from the corresponding book, however the ending of the previous saga box left significant material out -- the journey to the Black Gate and the beginning of the battle there. Further, the finish of the battle is in Book 6 -- we will see that battle.
However, it does not feature a ring-bearer and the only fellowship hero to *directly* impact it would be Aragorn. Further, the battle itself was only a diversion meant to distract Sauron from the real effort made by the ringbearers.

Here are the chapters in Book VI
1) The Tower of Cirith Ungol
2) The Land of Shadow
3) Mount Doom
4) The Field of Cormallen
5) The Steward and the King
6) Many Partings
7) Homeward Bound
8) The Scouring of the Shire
9) The Grey Havens

Large portions have no conflict at all. Historically saga quest titles have been chapter titles, and only #1, #3, and #8 are suitable -- #2 would be suitable, except it was borrowed to use as the title of the Book IV expansion, despite the fact that it came from the wrong book *and* all the quests inside it took place *outside* the land of shadow.

The Scouring of the Shire is one of the very best chapters in TLOTR and would make an excellent quest -- it needs willpower, it needs combat, and it's a microcosm of the entire War of the Ring. What it *isn't* is epic, and I'm just skeptical that the designers will want to end this greatest of sagas with denouement, if there's any way at all to end the saga with the *climax*, the destruction of the ring. That's a given.

At the same time, the destruction of the ring is nearly bereft of combat (only a starved Gollum), and it happens *at the same time* as an epic battle that actually concludes in Book VI Chapter 4, immediately after the destruction of the ring. So I think combining Mount Doom and the battle at the Moronnan is a mechanical necessity and a huge thematic win.

I think the Tower of Cirith Ungol being the first quest is almost a given. It's iconic and important, it has the need for willpower and the possibility of combat, and it's a must-win situation -- since if Frodo had remained captive, Sauron would have learned of the ring being inside Mordor and all would be lost. How it will be done *mechanically* will determine the fate of the Sam ring-bearer card. Frodo *must* be captive for at least a portion of this quest -- will they provide a saga Sam to aid our party, or will there be no ring-bearer for this quest?

If I'm right that Mt. Doom will be the last quest, right that it will be combined with the Battle, and right about Cirith Ungol, that leaves only the contents of chapter 2 (but not the title!) as a candidate for the second quest. It's a definite progress situation with potential for conflict, as they have a near miss with hunting orcs, actually are impressed to service with a company orcs and manage to escape, and Gollum is also known to be on their tail. I think it's worthy of a quest. It could be combined with Mount Doom, but the timeline is wrong for it to be combined with the battle.

This is just speculation, and I certainly could be wrong. But that's my prediction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
LordRorthorn wrote:
... the battle before the Lonely Mountain (where Dain Ironfoot dies) and the Scouring of the Shire.

hey, Brand bit the dust too! No one mentions that

This battle is one of the most interesting parts of the lore. I had hoped it would have made it into the movies in at a least a montage. Would love to see it in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Johnson
msg tools
Maybe we'll see some love for the Eagles. I've been thinking for a while that Eagle decks aren't as strong as they could be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
esteban hoogma
Chile
flag msg tools
dalestephenson wrote:

Including the black gate opens the door to more outside heroes, since the ringbearer's story doesn't justify anything but Frodo or Sam. (Though a new Frodo with a ringbearer Sam would be most excellent.) Maybe a Gwaihir hero would be appropriate.

I hope, as I hoped in the previous release, to see Elladan (leadership) and Elrohir (tactics) allies, but do not expect it.

I expect powerful player cards and difficult quests.

Pretty much this. Considering the title and focus of the expansion is The Mountain of Fire, I doubt we'll see Scouring. It's too big and anticlimactic leap from Mordor. I think we'll most likely see it as a POD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven Penninck
msg tools
This exists as the "Beyond All Hope" boon in Saga mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dalestephenson wrote:
Yes, and I'm probably in a minority in thinking the journey from Cirith Ungol to Mount Doom will be its own quests. But here's my thinking:

All previous saga boxes have had exactly three quests. This one will as well.
All previous saga boxes have drawn strictly from the corresponding book, however the ending of the previous saga box left significant material out -- the journey to the Black Gate and the beginning of the battle there. Further, the finish of the battle is in Book 6 -- we will see that battle.
However, it does not feature a ring-bearer and the only fellowship hero to *directly* impact it would be Aragorn. Further, the battle itself was only a diversion meant to distract Sauron from the real effort made by the ringbearers.

Here are the chapters in Book VI
1) The Tower of Cirith Ungol
2) The Land of Shadow
3) Mount Doom
4) The Field of Cormallen
5) The Steward and the King
6) Many Partings
7) Homeward Bound
8) The Scouring of the Shire
9) The Grey Havens

Large portions have no conflict at all. Historically saga quest titles have been chapter titles, and only #1, #3, and #8 are suitable -- #2 would be suitable, except it was borrowed to use as the title of the Book IV expansion, despite the fact that it came from the wrong book *and* all the quests inside it took place *outside* the land of shadow.

The Scouring of the Shire is one of the very best chapters in TLOTR and would make an excellent quest -- it needs willpower, it needs combat, and it's a microcosm of the entire War of the Ring. What it *isn't* is epic, and I'm just skeptical that the designers will want to end this greatest of sagas with denouement, if there's any way at all to end the saga with the *climax*, the destruction of the ring. That's a given.
i mean i don't disagree with you. they could just mention it in some flavour text (which is really at the very least my prediction is saying; i never said it was going to be a quest or a complete quest on its own) but anyway.

Quote:
At the same time, the destruction of the ring is nearly bereft of combat (only a starved Gollum), and it happens *at the same time* as an epic battle that actually concludes in Book VI Chapter 4, immediately after the destruction of the ring. So I think combining Mount Doom and the battle at the Moronnan is a mechanical necessity and a huge thematic win.
yeah, i think this is how it will be as well.

Quote:
I think the Tower of Cirith Ungol being the first quest is almost a given. It's iconic and important, it has the need for willpower and the possibility of combat, and it's a must-win situation -- since if Frodo had remained captive, Sauron would have learned of the ring being inside Mordor and all would be lost. How it will be done *mechanically* will determine the fate of the Sam ring-bearer card. Frodo *must* be captive for at least a portion of this quest -- will they provide a saga Sam to aid our party, or will there be no ring-bearer for this quest?
either way, i have a feeling that the way the ring works in the final quests will be different than how it has in the past, through really punishing treacheries and other effects that you likely don't want to happen if the ring is exhausted

Quote:
If I'm right that Mt. Doom will be the last quest, right that it will be combined with the Battle, and right about Cirith Ungol, that leaves only the contents of chapter 2 (but not the title!) as a candidate for the second quest. It's a definite progress situation with potential for conflict, as they have a near miss with hunting orcs, actually are impressed to service with a company orcs and manage to escape, and Gollum is also known to be on their tail. I think it's worthy of a quest. It could be combined with Mount Doom, but the timeline is wrong for it to be combined with the battle.
yeah, this is why i think scouring might make an appearance. either way, it'll be interesting to see what they do.

Quote:
This is just speculation, and I certainly could be wrong. But that's my prediction.
yeah, well, the thread was intended to be speculation lol. you make a lot of great points and guesses, and i guess we'll just see what happens either way. the main reason you're the only one i'm replying to is because this thread has mostly turned into 'dr00's predictions are stupid but i have none of my own'.... except for you.

i could definitely see Mt Doom be the final quest that closes out the epic/saga/etc. and brings it all to a climactic end. i do agree that if we get the scouring, it would have to be the last quest. anything else would just be weird, and that would be a big reason to leave it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.