Popular Tags: [View All]
Wendell Neeley

Shreveport
Louisiana
msg tools
Ello
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So let me preface this with the fact that I have purchased literally thousands of dollars worth of games from Funagain Games. They have generally been very good to excellent at getting me my games without hassle. They are certainly more expensive than other outlets, but then again, they do have certain titles that others don't have and generally have things sooner for some reason, so you accept that if you shop with them.

I have recently placed an order with them, not for an extravagant amount of money, but not insubstantial, either. I placed my order as usual and just sort of hung out waiting for it to arrive.

I knew the date of arrival and was at home, with my wife, waiting for the package to arrive. Honestly, I had seen the Tom Vasal review of Codex and was super stoked to try it out. The package didn't arrive, yet the UPS site said that it had been delivered while we were home. I know this isn't the case as my house is kindof back in a corner and nobody comes back there without me knowing. The package wasn't delivered.

Now, I know that this is a UPS issue. They have their problems, but my concern with Funagain is with the customer service that I have received. I am a serious customer with them. I buy lots of games from them and am somewhat loyal, despite the fact that they are more expensive in a lot of instances.

So I email Funagain to get some help. Generally, things go more smoothly if initiated from the sender end, and UPS even suggests this on their website and from the phone interaction. My first email from their customer support is copied below:

Quote:
Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately, at this point it's something that needs to be taken directly to UPS. I would confirm with them that it was delivered to your front door and not to a neighbor, or taken back with them. If it was left on your front porch, but wasn't there when you arrived, it may be likely that it had gotten stolen. Which, again unfortunately, is not something we can fix.

Thank you,
Funagain Games

I found this highly irritating. Why wouldn't a company offer to help me fix my issue? I don't think it's unreasonable for them to contact UPS (which UPS had to talk with Funagain after I had contacted them myself anyway) and it really stinks of "hey man, this isn't our problem".

I won't bore you with the back and forth, however I have respectfully let them know that I am not happy with their customer support and they have essentially declined to do much to help me. Their rep did email me that they had contacted UPS, but when I had called UPS myself, after their email, they had no knowledge of this happening.

Their latest email was more in line with what I would expect, however it still basically leaves me out to dry. I just can't imagine a company responding to an issue like this:

Quote:
I am very sorry that this has happened. I understand your frustration. I had filed a lost package claim with UPS on Monday and they are looking into it, but I've heard nothing back so far. Please understand that if the tracking showed that the package never made it to you or stopped tracking entirely, it would be an easy resolution. However, since the tracking supplied by UPS says that it was delivered to you, we have to look into it more before we can create a solution.

Thank you,
Funagain Games

Maybe this is just an issue of their customer support person not really understanding how to communicate with a frustrated and lost customer, but I can't say that I'm really all that happy with how I've been treated. I loathe Amazon, but every time I've had any sort of issue it has been immediately rectified. Other major retailers have taken care of issues without problem. I guess I'm sort of baffled, and think other people should know about my issue. I feel like Funagain should be more of a proponent for their customers and should take the reins when dealing with shipping issues, not dump it on the customer. Will update if I get any sort of reasonable resolution to my problem or if I happen to lose my money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see the problem, they were right with their 1st email back to you... person receiving the package should contact shipper first, why you were
Quote:
I found this highly irritating. Why wouldn't a company offer to help me fix my issue?

is perplexing. Again standard procedure is for person receiving a package to contact shipper.

And their 2nd email nothing wrong with that either... where you come to the quick conclusion that you are "however it still basically leaves me out to dry" is perplexing. You didn't even bother to give us a time table so this sounds like really recent chain of events... now if this was a couple weeks after package was mis-delivered or stolen then I'd be concerned... but still not feel I was left out to dry... especially if you paid with a credit card. And funagain is helping but I believe it's still up to receiver to file claim with shipper, not sender.

What is your UPS tracking number?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell Neeley

Shreveport
Louisiana
msg tools
Ello
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's up to me to file a claim. I don't know. They didn't explain anything about this process in their first email. Maybe this is usual and customary, but I found them cold and rude, not helpful.

Why would I possibly give a random person my tracking number on a message board? That's an odd request.

Edit- also, you mention timetable. I honestly don't know what the timetable is. I'm a customer, not a shipper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostofmerlin wrote:
Edit- also, you mention timetable. I honestly don't know what the timetable is. I'm a customer, not a shipper.

He means when did you first contact Funagain/how long ago was the package "delivered"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:

is perplexing. Again standard procedure is for person receiving a package to contact shipper.

I don't think this is the case at all.

The sender is the customer of the carrier. They often want to hear from them.

Though in some cases are willing to provide information to the receiver too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell Neeley

Shreveport
Louisiana
msg tools
Ello
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coldkorn wrote:
ghostofmerlin wrote:

He means when did you first contact Funagain/how long ago was the package "delivered"

Ah, I see. Package was not delivered on Friday PM. I contacted Funagain for advice on Saturday, I believe? It hasn't been all that long.

Again, I'm not annoyed with the fact that it takes some time to figure this stuff out and have UPS do their thing. It is the overall attitude of "eh, not our problem, call someone else."

Also, it is worth noting that I have tried to call Funagain to get some better guidance but they have yet to respond, after two days. Apparently you can only leave them a message.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostofmerlin wrote:
The package didn't arrive, yet the UPS site said that it had been delivered while we were home. I know this isn't the case as my house is kindof back in a corner and nobody comes back there without me knowing. The package wasn't delivered.

Did you already check with other neighbors in your vicinity? I once had UPS deliver a package in a completely different hallway of apartments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG Mark
United States
Clever
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
I don't see the problem, they were right with their 1st email back to you... person receiving the package should contact shipper first, why you were
Quote:
I found this highly irritating. Why wouldn't a company offer to help me fix my issue?

And their 2nd email nothing wrong with that either... where you come to the quick conclusion that you are "however it still basically leaves me out to dry" is perplexing. You didn't even bother to give us a time table so this sounds like really recent chain of events... now if this was a couple weeks after package was mis-delivered or stolen then I'd be concerned... but still not feel I was left out to dry... especially if you paid with a credit card. And funagain is helping but I believe it's still up to receiver to file claim with shipper, not sender.

What is your UPS tracking number?

Unfortunately this is an attitude many businesses take, though that does not make it correct or the best way to earn and maintain loyal customers, in my opinion.

UPS / Fedex go to the furthest lengths possible to elongate, complicate, and delay any claims against them. In my humble opinion there is a certain line that each business must draw when determining how they allow their employees to discern and act on information in regards to claims against orders made and taking care of their customers.

There is indeed a grey line, whether there should be or not. Ideally things are dealt with in 2 ways, sometimes you stretch out and hope that the effort and expense is worth it in the long haul and that you're not getting burned, other times you gauge the risk and try to find a more amicable solution while maintaining constant contact.

That said, judging by OP's description of history of purchases (which should always be examined by the CSRs), a business looking out for its reputation and its customer (as well as their loyalty) would have absolutely no issue resolving the issue promptly while investigations with the shipper go on. Worst case scenario (and I've done it myself) is that the carrier returns the lost/mis-delivered package back to the origination point or insurance claims are provided.

Once again, just my humble opinion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostofmerlin wrote:
So let me preface this with the fact that I have purchased literally thousands of dollars worth of games from Funagain Games. They have generally been very good to excellent at getting me my games without hassle. They are certainly more expensive than other outlets, but then again, they do have certain titles that others don't have and generally have things sooner for some reason, so you accept that if you shop with them.

I have recently placed an order with them, not for an extravagant amount of money, but not insubstantial, either. I placed my order as usual and just sort of hung out waiting for it to arrive.

I knew the date of arrival and was at home, with my wife, waiting for the package to arrive. Honestly, I had seen the Tom Vasal review of Codex and was super stoked to try it out. The package didn't arrive, yet the UPS site said that it had been delivered while we were home. I know this isn't the case as my house is kindof back in a corner and nobody comes back there without me knowing. The package wasn't delivered.

Now, I know that this is a UPS issue. They have their problems, but my concern with Funagain is with the customer service that I have received. I am a serious customer with them. I buy lots of games from them and am somewhat loyal, despite the fact that they are more expensive in a lot of instances.

So I email Funagain to get some help. Generally, things go more smoothly if initiated from the sender end, and UPS even suggests this on their website and from the phone interaction. My first email from their customer support is copied below:

Quote:
Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately, at this point it's something that needs to be taken directly to UPS. I would confirm with them that it was delivered to your front door and not to a neighbor, or taken back with them. If it was left on your front porch, but wasn't there when you arrived, it may be likely that it had gotten stolen. Which, again unfortunately, is not something we can fix.

Thank you,
Funagain Games

I found this highly irritating. Why wouldn't a company offer to help me fix my issue? I don't think it's unreasonable for them to contact UPS (which UPS had to talk with Funagain after I had contacted them myself anyway) and it really stinks of "hey man, this isn't our problem".

I won't bore you with the back and forth, however I have respectfully let them know that I am not happy with their customer support and they have essentially declined to do much to help me. Their rep did email me that they had contacted UPS, but when I had called UPS myself, after their email, they had no knowledge of this happening.

Their latest email was more in line with what I would expect, however it still basically leaves me out to dry. I just can't imagine a company responding to an issue like this:

Quote:
I am very sorry that this has happened. I understand your frustration. I had filed a lost package claim with UPS on Monday and they are looking into it, but I've heard nothing back so far. Please understand that if the tracking showed that the package never made it to you or stopped tracking entirely, it would be an easy resolution. However, since the tracking supplied by UPS says that it was delivered to you, we have to look into it more before we can create a solution.

Thank you,
Funagain Games

Maybe this is just an issue of their customer support person not really understanding how to communicate with a frustrated and lost customer, but I can't say that I'm really all that happy with how I've been treated. I loathe Amazon, but every time I've had any sort of issue it has been immediately rectified. Other major retailers have taken care of issues without problem. I guess I'm sort of baffled, and think other people should know about my issue. I feel like Funagain should be more of a proponent for their customers and should take the reins when dealing with shipping issues, not dump it on the customer. Will update if I get any sort of reasonable resolution to my problem or if I happen to lose my money.

I'm guessing "at this point" is important here. That mail sounds like a standard response and I'm guessing they get a lot of "where's my stuff?" emails which end up resolved by "oh, my neighbour had it" or "UPS went to the wrong house" and so on.

Personally in such cases I talk first to the delivery company, then my neighbours if necessary and after that the sender, telling them the steps I've already taken.

Hope you get your stuff soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In every case of lost packages I have been involved with the sender has always had to initiate a claim with the carrier. This has been true of all of the several postal services world wide that I've had to do this with or had done. Recipients have not contracted a service with the carrier so they no relationship with the carrier. Especially in cases where the carrier has not delivered the package or delivered it to a wrong address the intended recipient has had no dealings with the carrier. Intended recipient notifies sender of non-receipt, sender initiates claim with carrier. Is the US that different? I don't think so. USPS requires proof of insurance like the mailing receipt or online record of shipping label, which are things the sender has. In this case with UPS,

UPS website wrote:
Shippers and receivers can report a lost package on ups.com.

a Damage/Loss Notification claim letter will be emailed, faxed or mailed to the shipper; UPS will not send claim letters to a receiver

so while UPS lets an intended recipient launch a claim, the sender has to get involved very quickly. FunAgain telling OP "it's something that needs to be taken directly to UPS" with the implication they can't do anything is disingenous. They might want OP to take it UPS but they could do it, and it looks like they did, so the sender of that first e-mail was wrong. I certainly understand OP's disappointment, and if the back and forth e-mails he doesn't want to bore us with are many then he has my sympathy as those email probably took more time to process than FunAgain would have spent launching the claim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Strait
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Going back to the first reply from Funagain, it really sounds like UPS reported the package as delivered (or delivery complete). At that point, if UPS is saying that they completed delivery (and their job is done), any issues with the item would fall to the receiver to pursue rather than the sender.

A package lost or damaged while in transit would involve the sender, and be the responsibility of the shipper. A package lost or damaged after transit is a different matter. Although not spelled out in Funagain's e-mail, the first step thus needs to be receiver-driven, at the very least to change the item's status from "delivered" to some other state (thus the suggestion to confirm the delivery with UPS).

It's unfortunate that Funagain isn't able to do more, and they perhaps could have better explained why "at this point it's something that needs to be taken directly to UPS". Still, I wouldn't lay this at Funagain's feet necessarily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell Neeley

Shreveport
Louisiana
msg tools
Ello
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ErsatzDragon wrote:
Going back to the first reply from Funagain, it really sounds like UPS reported the package as delivered (or delivery complete). At that point, if UPS is saying that they completed delivery (and their job is done), any issues with the item would fall to the receiver to pursue rather than the sender.

A package lost or damaged while in transit would involve the sender, and be the responsibility of the shipper. A package lost or damaged after transit is a different matter. Although not spelled out in Funagain's e-mail, the first step thus needs to be receiver-driven, at the very least to change the item's status from "delivered" to some other state (thus the suggestion to confirm the delivery with UPS).

It's unfortunate that Funagain isn't able to do more, and they perhaps could have better explained why "at this point it's something that needs to be taken directly to UPS". Still, I wouldn't lay this at Funagain's feet necessarily.

I think the important issues here to consider are:
1. UPS is clearly at fault for losing the package. There is no doubt about this in my mind, and they should be contacted by someone and held to a standard.
2. Every issue I've ever had with packages has been initiated with the sender. I haven't had many, but those issues that I have had were dealt with on their end.
3. Is the issue that Funagain can't do anything, or that they won't do anything to initiate a claim? I tend to believe the latter. Clearly they can initiate the process, but I had to specifically ask for them to call UPS for the rep to be involved at all.
4. Communication is the key. My reading of the first email that the customer service rep sent me pretty clearly indicated to me, the customer, that he was done with the process. The tone of the email was one of finality and did not invite any further questions or offer to help any more with the issue.
5. Funagain is a large company that does a lot of business with shippers. They undoubtedly have much better capacity to deal with shipping complications and, in my mind, should be cognizant of this fact when dealing with their customers. I know I'm not alone in feeling this way, but if I have a bad shipping experience and Funagain brushes me off, I am going to lump them in with the whole experience. And I can guarantee you that I will think twice about ordering from them again as a result of this customer support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Marowske
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like the response of Funagain, and agree with the OP.

While it's the shipper's fault if the package was misdelivered, Funagain is the customer of the shipper, and Funagain needs to file a claim on behalf of their own customer. They paid for the services.

Funagain needs to advocate on behalf of their customer. Simply telling the customer its not our problem is unacceptable.

I once had a package damaged in transit from Time Well Spent (version 1.0). I had contacted Dave and he filed a claim with UPS. Within hours I received a call from UPS, and I provided them the details. A new package was sent within the week.

This isn't complicated, and can be easily fixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a chance that it may still show up. A couple years ago my mother ordered some games for me from CSI for Christmas. They got delivered to a house 2 streets away from my parents and the people who received the package drove it to my parents house. Your package ended up somewhere and unless it was stolen or delivered to an unscrupulous jerk who decided to keep it, it may still show up.

As for your dealings with Funagain, I think their initial e-mail could have been a bit more tactful. But my first course of action when I suspect delivery mix-ups is to contact the carrier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
ghostofmerlin wrote:

3. Is the issue that Funagain can't do anything, or that they won't do anything to initiate a claim? I tend to believe the latter. Clearly they can initiate the process, but I had to specifically ask for them to call UPS for the rep to be involved at all.
4. Communication is the key. My reading of the first email that the customer service rep sent me pretty clearly indicated to me, the customer, that he was done with the process. The tone of the email was one of finality and did not invite any further questions or offer to help any more with the issue.

I think you're misinterpreting the email. While it's true that the recipient can't file a claim, filing a claim isn't the step you were on. The first thing you do when a package is "delivered" but isn't is walk around the block. The second thing you do is call UPS who will call the driver and see if they can recall where it was delivered. Those are things the recipient needs to do rather than the sender. If that fails then you talk to the sender. As to whether they can file a claim or not it varies, but when they say they have delivered it they will most likely deny any claim, especially if you didn't contact them about it when the delivery notice came up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.