Airfix Battles» Forums » Rules

Subject: Tank questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blue Hammer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks, I have a few simple questions regarding tanks/vehicles.

1) An infantry commander is attached to a unit and for all intent and purpose is treated as part of that unit, occupies the same space as the unit, etc. Does this apply to tank commanders? I'm assuming not, with each vehicle considered a separate unit and must occupy its own space.

2) Can vehicles use edge cover? For example, if a vehicle is behind cover and takes fire, can it make a single cover roll to try and minimise damage?

3) When bringing on reinforcements, does a commander and his unit count as 1 reinforcement or 2? OK, this one wasn't about tanks, but I've just played my first scenario with reinforcements and I wasn't sure how to handle this.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Paull
United Kingdom
HUNTINGDON
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bluehammer wrote:
Hi folks, I have a few simple questions regarding tanks/vehicles.

1) An infantry commander is attached to a unit and for all intent and purpose is treated as part of that unit, occupies the same space as the unit, etc. Does this apply to tank commanders? I'm assuming not, with each vehicle considered a separate unit and must occupy its own space.

2) Can vehicles use edge cover? For example, if a vehicle is behind cover and takes fire, can it make a single cover roll to try and minimise damage?

3) When bringing on reinforcements, does a commander and his unit count as 1 reinforcement or 2? OK, this one wasn't about tanks, but I've just played my first scenario with reinforcements and I wasn't sure how to handle this.

Thanks in advance.

1) When you buy a tank commander, you also buy his tank. You can't buy a tank commander separate from his tank. So he will always occupy the same space as his tank and is lost if his tank is lost. Tank commanders are fully part of their tanks.

2) Vehicles can use edge cover. However, they don't get cover saves. Instead the firer loses one dice from the attack (so AT(3) becomes AT(2)).

3) When bringing on reinforcements, you use a Basic Order to bring on one Unit. If you specify the Unit as a Squad with an assigned Commander, then you only need one Basic Order. Similarly, you can bring on a Transport with an embarked Squad or limbered gun with one Reinforce Order.

Alan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Hammer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Alan, thanks for the replies.

What I meant in my first question was, if I have a Sherman Lieutenant his card indicates that I also have to buy a 2 point vehicle card (red card with no stripe). Does the Lieutenant have to be associated with that other vehicle so they become one unit?

On page 3 the example for attachments (which I know are the purple cards, but bear with me) reads "In the first scenario you have some Veterans. They must be attached to your (infantry) Captain, and together they form a 5-man Unit. Your (infantry) Captain cannot be assigned to an Infantry Squad, because with his Veterans Attachment he forms a full Unit."

I took that to mean a commander must be attached to another unit, but purples take precedent over other unit types. Hence my query about tank commanders and their obligatory purchases.

However your reply now makes me think I've misinterpreted the commander/unit rule, and it is perfectly fine to have lone commanders if you wish (as long as you purchase the other obligatory cards of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Paull
United Kingdom
HUNTINGDON
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bluehammer wrote:
Hi Alan, thanks for the replies.

What I meant in my first question was, if I have a Sherman Lieutenant his card indicates that I also have to buy a 2 point vehicle card (red card with no stripe). Does the Lieutenant have to be associated with that other vehicle so they become one unit?

On page 3 the example for attachments (which I know are the purple cards, but bear with me) reads "In the first scenario you have some Veterans. They must be attached to your (infantry) Captain, and together they form a 5-man Unit. Your (infantry) Captain cannot be assigned to an Infantry Squad, because with his Veterans Attachment he forms a full Unit."

I took that to mean a commander must be attached to another unit, but purples take precedent over other unit types. Hence my query about tank commanders and their obligatory purchases.

However your reply now makes me think I've misinterpreted the commander/unit rule, and it is perfectly fine to have lone commanders if you wish (as long as you purchase the other obligatory cards of course).

Sorry for any confusion, Bluehammer.
When you buy any commander, there are usually additional Units that you buy, some optional, some mandatory.

For a tank commander the additional Units on the tabs on the right of the card are all separate Units. So, a Panzer IV Lieutenant Unit consists of 1 Panzer IV & the Lieutenant (that's all on the commander card). In addition, your German Force must contain another mandatory red card (1 or 2 stars), and optionally another red card (1 or 2 stars), a red card with up to 5 stars and also optionally a green card with up to 4 stars.

Infantry commanders are slightly different. Infantry commanders above the rank of lieutenant can, and some must, have purple attachment cards; whether it's optional or mandatory depends on which commander. If you take one or more purple cards with a commander, then that commander's Unit consists of the commander and his purple cards, and he cannot be assigned to a squad. If you don't take any purple attachment cards for an infantry commander, then that commander must be assigned to a squad at the start of the game; he cannot be on his own, and he will normally fight as part of that squad for the whole game.

So, an infantry lieutenant must always be assigned to a squad, because he has no purple tab on his card. An infantry major cannot be assigned to a squad, because he has a compulsory purple tab.

I hope that helps.

Alan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Hammer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D'oh!

I can't believe I never saw the '1 Panzer IV & Lieutenant' at the top of the card! Yes, that makes perfect sense now - the vehicle commanders are already attached to a unit; their tank. Reading kids, it's the way forward!

Thanks for clarifying Alan, and thanks for such quick replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.