Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Glenn Holt

Lewisville
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good evening BGG'ers!

It's your friendly neighborhood Hyatt Liaison, Glenn.

Got an extra room you aren't needing? Something came up and you can't come this year? If you're looking to unload a room, i wanted to let you all know the hotel is waiving any fees and returning any deposits until the 9th.

As always I'm here for questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HyattGlenn wrote:
Good evening BGG'ers!

Got an extra room you aren't needing? Something came up and you can't come this year? If you're looking to unload a room, i wanted to let you all know the hotel is waiving any fees and returning any deposits until the 9th.

That being said, please, please, please, please, PLEASE attempt to transfer your hotel room to someone else who really really wants it. You can do that here:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1536625/bggcon-2016-off...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Hassani
United States
Springfield Mo
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HyattGlenn wrote:
Good evening BGG'ers!

Glenn, I called 888-421-1442 and begun the process of cancelling a room for saturday/sunday and I was told I would not receive a refund on my $50 deposit.

Is there a different number or procedure to obtain the aforementioned deposit return?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Holt

Lewisville
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the one who processes the refunds, so I know you'll get it back. If you want to deal with me directly instead of central reservations, my number is 972-615-6815
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Bersak
United States
Franklin Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any way to reserve a fridge for my room?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Roberts
United States
LaVergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been successful for the past year or two for mini fridges (My wife is a diabetic, so it really helps out for storing her injections).

What I would suggest is to call the hotel and speak with someone regarding your needs. They have always been more than helpful for anything we have ever needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Mercury
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Please check out my student game design Geeklists! You rock!
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my reservation confirmation email on Monday, realized I forgot to start the reservation on Tuesday. (My initial booking was for Wednesday through Sunday.) I called and was able to get a room but for $499 for the one night. Can anything be done to adjust the price?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Platt
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
This is not my pokerface... I'm just really dull.
mbmbmbmbmb
HyattGlenn wrote:
i wanted to let you all know the hotel is waiving any fees and returning any deposits until the 9th.

Becoming clear why the fee was being waived.

I've got a friend who got bumped from her room for two nights due to overbooking. She's gonna get over it because those two nights at another hotel are going to be free, but she's not a happy camper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Mercury
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Please check out my student game design Geeklists! You rock!
mbmbmbmbmb
funkdonut wrote:
I got my reservation confirmation email on Monday, realized I forgot to start the reservation on Tuesday. (My initial booking was for Wednesday through Sunday.) I called and was able to get a room but for $499 for the one night. Can anything be done to adjust the price?

Never mind, alternate accommodations sorted and room was cancelled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife was just called because the room she originally booked at the Hyatt was canceled and moved to the Westin. However we have transferred that room to someone else. So now I'm being put in the position where I have to contact someone who paid me the deposit for the room and tell them that their hotel has changed. This is flat out not acceptable. it doesn't matter that his room is now free; I shouldn't be put in the position of being and unwitting part of a bait and switch.

While I will certainly never attempt to transfer a room again, that does nothing to solve this year's problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Platt
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While it's far too early to have this conversation, I'm going to throw out the idea that the hotel raise the reservation fee to "first night's stay" in order to stem the tide a little next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
_____BGG.CON_____ BGG@SEA BGG.Spring
mbmbmbmbmb
Cross-posting from here:

CaptainQwyx wrote:
It is very typical to oversell rooms. It is very atypical, at least for our event, for people to need to be bumped. We've come close in the past, but this is the first time I've heard it's actually been needed.

We get attrition every year, including this year. The attrition this year has been less than expected, even accounting for an expectation of reduced attrition due to the $50 deposit.

I'm told this will affect no more than 15-20 rooms. Those bumped will have their stay comp'ed at the Westin and free transportation will be provided back and forth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Digren wrote:
My wife was just called because the room she originally booked at the Hyatt was canceled and moved to the Westin. However we have transferred that room to someone else. So now I'm being put in the position where I have to contact someone who paid me the deposit for the room and tell them that their hotel has changed. This is flat out not acceptable. it doesn't matter that his room is now free; I shouldn't be put in the position of being and unwitting part of a bait and switch.

While I will certainly never attempt to transfer a room again, that does nothing to solve this year's problem.

I'm not sure I understand why you would be in this position - if the room was transferred, the reservation should now be in the transferee's name and the hotel should be calling them directly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Holt

Lewisville
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Digren wrote:

I'm sorry about that. you shouldn't have to be the middle man. Sometimes the rooms was transferred and the phone number wasn't updated. We're calling the number on file and it happens to still be yours. Please PM or call me and I will be happy to get involved so that you don't have to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
Yeah, this is not really acceptable, even for a few rooms.

The possibility of this happening needed to be made clear up front. And it needs to be made crystal clear next year that your reservation may or may not be honored.

The way to handle this is the way airlines do with overbooking; ask for volunteers, given whatever compensation is being offered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Platt
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure that there can still be volunteers. If someone offers to trade their free room at the Westin for a paid room at the Hyatt, there will be takers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Buhr
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd certainly be up for that. I got the call today that I have been bumped. Very bummed. Not a good first impression of my first BGG Con. Seems poorly organized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainQwyx wrote:

I'm not sure I understand why you would be in this position - if the room was transferred, the reservation should now be in the transferee's name and the hotel should be calling them directly.

The room is in his name - and apparently still in my wife's as well, with both her name and number still attached.

We only had a spare room because of the fubar with reservations going live an hour early. By the time we booked Wednesday was sold out already. We book Thu-Sun, with deposit, but then saw the con rate at the new Hyatt place, and booked there for Tue-Sun. Because <whatever> we couldn't move the reservation though, so we had to rebook with a second deposit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HyattGlenn wrote:
Digren wrote:

I'm sorry about that. you shouldn't have to be the middle man. Sometimes the rooms was transferred and the phone number wasn't updated. We're calling the number on file and it happens to still be yours. Please PM or call me and I will be happy to get involved so that you don't have to.

Sent you a PM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
parliboy wrote:
HyattGlenn wrote:
i wanted to let you all know the hotel is waiving any fees and returning any deposits until the 9th.

Becoming clear why the fee was being waived.

I've got a friend who got bumped from her room for two nights due to overbooking. She's gonna get over it because those two nights at another hotel are going to be free, but she's not a happy camper.

One of my friends just got called to tell him that they were bumping him, too. I think he called them up and got it sorted, but this really isn't a good thing at all. I'm going to call and quadruple-check my rooms today or tomorrow to avoid unpleasant surprises.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:

The possibility of this happening needed to be made clear up front. And it needs to be made crystal clear next year that your reservation may or may not be honored.

The way to handle this is the way airlines do with overbooking; ask for volunteers, given whatever compensation is being offered.

This kind of thing happens. It's the first time it's happened to us, but it's not the first time it's ever happened at this or any other Hyatt or hotel chain. Hotels have standard policies in place to deal with it.

I don't work for a hotel, never had, but my pseudo-educated guess is that asking for volunteers doesn't work logistically, especially with the limited time-frame. It's not like we're all standing in line at an airport, physically present, and can immediately respond.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Platt
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thirdspaced wrote:
I'd certainly be up for that. I got the call today that I have been bumped. Very bummed. Not a good first impression of my first BGG Con. Seems poorly organized.

The con is not poorly organized, I assure you. The line at reg makes me pull my hair out, but they do amazing amounts of work keeping things together. However, the hotel booking is not run by the con. And overbookings do happen with hotels from time to time. Sucks, but it's the reality of things. Given how quickly the block was devoured this year, it's not going to be such a big problem next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
Jeff, there are people that won't attend if they can't stay on premises. There are people that *need* to stay on premises. This sort of thing can go very poorly.

While it's true that ultimately no room is guaranteed, this is the sort of thing that BGG.con needs to be out in front of, not pointing at the fine print and shrugging. It's not a good look.

If they have several days notice, and it's "only" 15 or 20 people, there is certainly time to ask for volunteers. I'm positive that there are plenty of people that would trade a free stay off site for their reservation at the Regency. The problem is doing it involuntarily.

Again, just be up front and clear about it going forward, and it will be less of an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin L

Houston
msg tools
Chiming in here. As one of the people who lost a room, I'm not mad to the point of never going again. I'm guessing this adds up to bad math on the part of the hotel. I'm also willing to attribute this to the crazily huge popularity of the convention this year...all of this is assuming that the problem is mitigated next year. If it becomes a trend, it's a problem.

I'm a bit bummed that I'll have to switch hotels again on Saturday, since I was told I'm only kicked out Thursday-Friday. That transition could have been made a bit smoother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainQwyx wrote:
fnord23 wrote:

This kind of thing happens. It's the first time it's happened to us, but it's not the first time it's ever happened at this or any other Hyatt or hotel chain. Hotels have standard policies in place to deal with it.

I don't work for a hotel, never had, but my pseudo-educated guess is that asking for volunteers doesn't work logistically, especially with the limited time-frame. It's not like we're all standing in line at an airport, physically present, and can immediately respond.
To be fair, these forums are very active, and you do have everyone's emails.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.