Subject: Expansions that add depth + strategy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Salman Qaisar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,
I recently got the original core box, all sleeved up now!
From what I've heard this is a great gateway deckbuilder, so i look forward to play it with my kids (7-10years old).

Any suggested expansions that give the game more depth + strategy for playing with more advanced gamers?

For reference:
1. we have yet to come across any coop game that we like. snore
So unlikely to like coop modes.
2. The more direct player interaction the better!
3. We love tyrants of the underdark - lots of interaction + very strategic deckbuilder.

Cheers in advance, Sal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
The Crisis expansions add more strOnger villains that you can use in regular play and do not have to use them in Coop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PvP only, the co-op is utter rubbish. It is true that the base game gets old after a dozen plays but the replay value is greatly increased when you add in the expansions. I would start with Crisis 1&2&3. Watchmen is also a must have since it adds cards that destroy cards from the line-up, especially if you have a bigger main deck. Justice Society of America adds in nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Mack
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'll likely find the other DC big boxes and expansions provide a good amount of variations for replayability, but they don't really elevate it for "more advanced gamers". The game is great, but it-is-what-it-is and additions to base don't really expand it the way you're aiming towards.

But for variations, you'll find tweaks on the base mechanic that can make things fresh (e.g. if you rotate through main decks). Such as Teen Titans slanted to on-going cards and Forever Evil slanted to card destruction. Or JSA Crossover #1 that promotes keeping starter cards in your deck and Legion of Super-Heroes Crossover #3 that promotes a mechanic of playing cards from the line-up without acquiring them ('time travel').

Relative to your point about not liking co-op, the DC game definitely shines in competitive and likely the Crisis co-op expansions won't enchant you. They do come with more heroes/villains and main deck cards for competitive play, but they don't change or elevate anything in the competitive arena. And costly if you just want a few more competitive cards. Like-wise with Watchman Crossover #4 (co-op w/hidden traitor).

The base game, especially for what you bought it for, should be a tonne of fun as-is. But adding "depth + strategy" beyond what exists already, I think you'd need to head to another game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MCKurick wrote:
I think you'll likely find the other DC big boxes and expansions provide a good amount of variations for replayability, but they don't really elevate it for "more advanced gamers". The game is great, but it-is-what-it-is and additions to base don't really expand it the way you're aiming towards.

^ What he said ^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of the DC Deck Builder, but I don't think it can necessarily deliver what you're asking for.

I've played Cryptozoic's Street Fighter game once, and it struck me as offering more direct interaction and PvP in the Cerberus engine.

Otherwise, if you're willing to consider a non-Cerberus engine deck builder, you might enjoy Nightfall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dekan Wheeler
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zalman wrote:
Hi everyone,
I recently got the original core box, all sleeved up now!
From what I've heard this is a great gateway deckbuilder, so i look forward to play it with my kids (7-10years old).

Any suggested expansions that give the game more depth + strategy for playing with more advanced gamers?

For reference:
1. we have yet to come across any coop game that we like. snore
So unlikely to like coop modes.
2. The more direct player interaction the better!
3. We love tyrants of the underdark - lots of interaction + very strategic deckbuilder.

Cheers in advance, Sal

If you are a fan of Attack on Titan, I'd suggest taking a look at Attack on Titan: Deck-Building Game coming out Nov 9th, it is coop put incredibly punishing.

However if you are set on a DC game for more advanced players DC Comics Deck-Building Game: Teen Titans is the fourth iteration of the base game and adds a lot of cool mechanics. Each Crossover pack also ads some fun new characters and mechanics as well at a smaller footprint and price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jimenez
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Hi DekanCrypto,

What are your thoughts on the viability of using the heroes from the DC Comics Deck-Building Game system with Attack on Titan: Deck-Building Game?

My thoughts:
I don't know anything about the lore, but saving the last human city from the Titans seems like a good job for superheroes.

Attractive to me with this system is being able to add variety via small, new gameplay mechanics - in the AoT case, adding hero movement (I just started with the Cerberus Engine with DC, not yet familiar with all of the mechanics in each of the boxes/expansions).

IF someone wanted to pursue this combo, might you have suggestions on how the common deck should be constructed?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wise
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm tempted to try the Titans on Attack stack with the Super-villain Stack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salman Qaisar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for all your help!
Played 1st game tonight, had a great time!
Less strategic than Tyrants of the Underdark but still very fun!

Sometimes u need a less-thinky game, but has good entertainment value.
Cheers to all! Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dekan Wheeler
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mgamer72 wrote:
Hi DekanCrypto,

What are your thoughts on the viability of using the heroes from the DC Comics Deck-Building Game system with Attack on Titan: Deck-Building Game?

My thoughts:
I don't know anything about the lore, but saving the last human city from the Titans seems like a good job for superheroes.

Attractive to me with this system is being able to add variety via small, new gameplay mechanics - in the AoT case, adding hero movement (I just started with the Cerberus Engine with DC, not yet familiar with all of the mechanics in each of the boxes/expansions).

IF someone wanted to pursue this combo, might you have suggestions on how the common deck should be constructed?

Thanks!

Using DC Heroes in AoT will have benefits and disadvantages. the biggest issue will be the lack of shared actions. Many of the AoT heroes have abilities that help the team or allow movement. However, on the other hand, this game's "Kick" is 3D Gear which happens to be equipment. So the Dark Knight might do well zipping around the city behind Wall Rose.

Super Villians will be trickier to incorperate and the Archenemy Titans are

1) MUCH harder to defeat and are much more damaging to the team. Villains might not pack as much of a punch if used.
2) Archenemy Titans are shuffled into the main stack so the traditional Villain stack does not apply.

Those wanting to use anything in AoTBG with other Cerberus will absolutely have that ability. Event though VP are not used in this game, each card is printed with a VP value for use in other decks you may want to build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.