GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,604 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can a single player have more than one magnate tile for the same criteria but with a different Prestige multiplier? (x3 vs x2 for Cellars / x2 + x1 for Vineyards etc.)

The rule states:

You are not allowed to have more than 1 identical Action/Multiplier tile (with the same icon)

This is entirely clear when it comes to action tiles as the ones which are duplicates are 100% identical. It's not as clear when it comes to the multipliers since there is more than one icon on each.

There are two possible interpretations and I'd like to know which is accurate.

- The x2 and x3 Cellar tiles are not identical due to the differing prestige icons so a player may acquire and score both.

- Both the x2 and x3 Cellar tiles have identical Cellar icons so a player may only acquire one. (even though the Prestige icons are different)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Both 2x and 3x Cellar tiles have the same cellar icon.

The numbers and ornament don't relate to the thing the tile scores for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ACGalaga wrote:

Indeed! My question is whether one player is allowed to acquire both of the cellar tiles or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
ACGalaga wrote:

Indeed! My question is whether one player is allowed to acquire both of the cellar tiles or not.

I believe not. Otherwise, there would be no need to mention the Multiplier tiles in the rule excluding duplicates since the only pairs with identical icons (cellars for example) differ slightly in the amount of points earned (i.e., there are no multiplier tiles that are 100% identical).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
ACGalaga wrote:

Ah, I see what happened there. Actually, I was just saying that you're second assumption was the correct one. They're the same icon (dispote the number and ornament) and one player can't take both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
ACGalaga wrote:

Cannot have both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joakley815 wrote:
NuMystic wrote:
ACGalaga wrote:

I believe not. Otherwise, there would be no need to mention the Multiplier tiles in the rule excluding duplicates since the only pairs with identical icons (cellars for example) differ slightly in the amount of points earned (i.e., there are no multiplier tiles that are 100% identical).

Excellent point, and that's exactly how we played tonight.

Thank you everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
badge
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, 2016 - Vinhos Deluxe, 2017 - Lisboa, 2018 - Escape Plan, CO2 Second Chance and Dragon Keepers - Maybe: 2019 - ROTW Portugal and On Mars, 2020 - Kanban Deluxe Edition and Máquina
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the late answer.
You cannot have both. same rule for the 2010 multipliers. you cannot place 2 barrels in the sam multiplier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Karlsson
msg tools
newrev wrote:
You cannot have both. same rule for the 2010 multipliers. you cannot place 2 barrels in the sam multiplier.

This is clear, no problems. I have a related question though.

If you draw a tile that you already have, what happens? Do you get to draw a new one or is your wine (and barrel?) wasted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelveaux wrote:
newrev wrote:

If you draw a tile that you already have, what happens? Do you get to draw a new one or is your wine (and barrel?) wasted?

Tiles are never drawn blind by players directly into their possession. They're placed face up on the board and are then drafted by choice after the Wine Fair. So you could never draw a tile you already have. Once you have one, you can only pick from those you do not already have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Karlsson
msg tools
NuMystic wrote:
Kelveaux wrote:
newrev wrote:

Tiles are never drawn blind by players directly into their possession. They're placed face up on the board and are then drafted by choice after the Wine Fair. So you could never draw a tile you already have. Once you have one, you can only pick from those you do not already have.

Really? Then I have missed something. The picture on page 2-3 of the reference book show all the purple tiles as face down and in the description on page 4 it reads: "7.2 Create a shuffled, face-down deck of Multiplier tiles (purple), and place it next to the board."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelveaux wrote:
Really? Then I have missed something.

You did.

Kelveaux wrote:
The picture on page 2-3 of the reference book show all the purple tiles as face down and in the description on page 4 it reads: "7.2 Create a shuffled, face-down deck of Multiplier tiles (purple), and place it next to the board."

That's correct, but that is just the pile that is used to refresh the face up display of magnate tiles that is on the board.

Note in the same picture you see every space of the board filled with face up magnate tiles.

In the previous section 7.1 it clearly outlines how many tiles are placed on the board during initial set up based on player count.

Then on page 15 e. of the actual rulebook:

Quote:
e. Refill the display: Discard the unpurchased Magnate Action/Multiplier tiles remaining on the board and refill the display from the Magnate deck next to the board. Make sure that the Action tiles, which should be on top of the deck, get placed first.

Also note in the example side bar on page 15 in every picture you can see the purple and green tiles face up on the board itself.

The reason turn order is adjusted right before the magnate tile buying phase of the fair is because going first means getting first choice of the revealed tiles!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Karlsson
msg tools
NuMystic wrote:
Kelveaux wrote:
Really? Then I have missed something.

You did.

Kelveaux wrote:
The picture on page 2-3 of the reference book show all the purple tiles as face down and in the description on page 4 it reads: "7.2 Create a shuffled, face-down deck of Multiplier tiles (purple), and place it next to the board."

That's correct, but that is just the pile that is used to refresh the face up display of magnate tiles that is on the board!

Note in the same picture you see every space of the board filled with face up magnate tiles.

In the previous section 7.1 it clearly outlines how many tiles are placed on the board during initial set up based on player count.

Then on page 15 e. of the actual rulebook:

Quote:
e. Refill the display: Discard the unpurchased Magnate Action/Multiplier tiles remaining on the board and refill the display from the Magnate deck next to the board. Make sure that the Action tiles, which should be on top of the deck, get placed first.

Also note in the example side bar on page 15 in every picture you can see the purple and green tiles face up on the board itself.

The reason turn order is adjusted right before the magnate tile buying phase of the fair is because going first means getting first choice of the revealed tiles!

I see, that makes perfect sense, thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.