enie kamozi
United States
Tewksbury
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boxed Innards of Conan

Quick initial review of components and breakdown of all that you get in the Conan board game from Monolith.

Game Box

Front and back:

Packed to the brim, Pretty decent box control with the amount of stuff thats jammed in here :

Components

Tokens, lots of Tokens :

Three sheets of punch outs of the tiles representing the monsters to be controlled by the overlord. These tiles slot in nicely in the overlord dashboard.

There are two double sided game boards included with some of the best board artwork out there. The cardboard width is on the thicker side as well:

4 Hero Player sheets with different stats and color marked areas where gems are manipulated. Also present are icons repressing special abilities:

Player aids cover all the special abilities found on the player sheet above:

Turn Tracker:

Overlord dashboard / Book of Skelos is an excellent plastic dashboard, comparable to the likes of the new Zombicide black plague dashboards but this one is much bigger. There is even some cosmetic scarring of the dashboard for some extra flavor whistle

Other tokens, cards, gems and dice. Everything here looks to be of very good quality except the dice which I quite can't put my finger on but seem like cheap dice when compared to Descent 2nd edition dice etc. :

And finally, Miniatures, loads of them, 74 to be exact, stored snugly in the clear plastic trays

Close ups of a big monster miniature:

Comparison of the gray vs white minis, also the droopy spears surprise :

There has been a lot of talk about the white plastic miniatures being of inferior quality or less detail but as you can see in the close up shots you can make out the details in both, its just unfortunate that the white color at a distance obscures a lot of the detail. This will not be an issue for painter though. The Kickstarter stretch goals do have a few minis that have questionably inferior quality but I'll save that for a follow up review of the Kickstarter stuff separately .

Conclusion

My primary reason to get Conan was to get a giant horde of miniatures and it does not disappoint on that front. The minis are of pretty good quality even though they do not require assembly. There are a few droopy spears etc but nothing a quick hot water trick can't fix. I still think that the minis from The others would top this but not by too much.
As for the other components, they were surprisingly of very good quality as well, save the dice and the micro size cards. You might have noticed the absence of Rulebook overview, as mentioned by many in forums, rulebooks have a beta version type feel to the rulebooks from ambiguous rules to missing scenario setup details etc etc But Monolith has promised a new printed version of an updated ruleset late November and I hope to revisit after checking out the new one.
All in all this is a pretty neat package and I can't wait to dig in, get some paint on the miniatures and get a game or two played.

/(4/5 on initial presentation)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Already got my first monster painted, of course had to be one of the big ones from the Kickstarter stretch goals Thaug:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enie wrote:

The right half of that back-side is completely different from mine. Mine does not have pictures of the minis, but instead has a painting of a scene of warriors riding some rhino-like creatures (which have absolutely nothing to do with this game).

Neither of my boxes (core game and stretch goals) depict the minis on the outside of the box.

Edit: here it is:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
enie kamozi
United States
Tewksbury
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the box difference is Barbarian vs King pledge. King pledge has a special box to accommodate the Kickstarter extras. I believe the core Barbarian box is equivalent to the retail box - this is the one I have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enie wrote:
I believe the box difference is Barbarian vs King pledge. King pledge has a special box to accommodate the Kickstarter extras. I believe the core Barbarian box is equivalent to the retail box - this is the one I have.

A truly odd design decision. i can't for the life of me understand why they chose a completely unrelated picture instead of depicting the minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey M
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At least it's a cool picture...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Berlin
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It´s a window in the WORLD of Conan, man! like music playing while you play. Or you could look at it for half an hour before playing, "Ahh, bygone days of the Hyborian Age! Rhinoriding! Those were the days!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Croquet
France
flag msg tools
mb
sgbeal wrote:
enie wrote:

A truly odd design decision. i can't for the life of me understand why they chose a completely unrelated picture instead of depicting the minis.

You're the King, they don't want to bother you with petty details. Minis depiction are for barbarians and you are not a Barbarian, are you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing it was because they figured that anybody getting the King box already knew what was in it. Maybe they also wanted a quick visual way to tell the boxes apart for packing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Poor
United States
Dexter
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Neither of my boxes has a picture of the minis either - I got the King Pledge.

The other thing that I noticed is that the plastic holder for the minis is completely different than mine - I was interested because after I popped all of the minis out and washed them I tried to put them all back, and it was like assembling a jigsaw puzzle. I wished I had taken a photo of their original positions. The 2 photos in the post that show the minis in their storage trays have them in a completely different order, and (I checked) there is no way for my minis to fit in the plastic in that way.

Why would this happen? I figured all of the minis were the same in all of the boxes, but we have different boxes AND different mini configurations? Just curious about how this might have come about.

This is the lower tray in the base box - has the shelf for the OL board.

This is the upper tray. Sorry for the glare. Minis have been primed, but you can tell that the minis and their locations is different than the OPs arrangement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly the King pledge gets a different insert from the Barbarian pledge/retail packaging to hold more miniatures in the same sized box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.