Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » Variants

Subject: More thematic DSUC rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Chiddicks
msg tools
Copied from the rules board - idea I just had:

csouth154 wrote:

The DSUC in Rebellion is not the DSUC from RotJ. There is no shield generator...

and I so wish there was!

IMHO the DSUC should come with a stormtrooper and an AT-ST on the remote system and they should have to be defeated in order for a fleet to destroy the DSUC!

If the empire wishes to lands extra troops to bolster the ground defences - they can, though its a poor use of resources

Yes this makes the DSUC harder to kill, but that could be balanced by making it stay on space 1 of the build track for 1 extra turn.

It'd be a ton more thematic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson K
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Acronyms are fine but spell it at least once haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saro Gumusyan

New York
msg tools
mb
I like that the Empire is forced to protect the DSUC to prevent a lone X-wing from taking it out. It's another example of the lumbering nature of the Empire, they must devote resources (and moves) to supply their pet projects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arno Noms
msg tools
mb
Actually in the movies, they located the base on Hoth and forced rapid mobilization. The fleet that was gathered to kill the base then went to Endor to check that and as that's a dead end, the second death star was contructed there. Would be perfect within the game logic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
I think that's a decent idea, but maybe a shield generator should be a project card. When played, the Rebels could put a shield bunker mini on a planet over which a DSUC is located. As an additional price to this, I do like the idea of moving the DS back one space on the build track.

The generator could protect the DSUC as long as it was alive, but it would behave like any other structure in the game (defeated if no other friendly ground units on system).

I don't like the idea of automatically giving the DSUC defensive units to protect the generator. If the Empire wants to devote resources to protecting it, they need to reallocate what they already have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty
United States
California
flag msg tools
Subtrendy Gaming wrote:
I think that's a decent idea, but maybe a shield generator should be a project card. When played, the Rebels could put a shield bunker mini on a planet over which a DSUC is located. As an additional price to this, I do like the idea of moving the DS back one space on the build track.

The generator could protect the DSUC as long as it was alive, but it would behave like any other structure in the game (defeated if no other friendly ground units on system).

I don't like the idea of automatically giving the DSUC defensive units to protect the generator. If the Empire wants to devote resources to protecting it, they need to reallocate what they already have.

I also agree that the DSUC shouldn't get free ground units. But if the Empire does have ground units on the planet, then a fun (and somewhat thematic) house rule could be that those units must be defeated prior to an attack on the DSUC. The trade off for that could be that you don't have to defeat all the Empire's space units prior to an attack on the DSUC. There was still the entirety of the Imperial fleet engaged in a battle with the Rebels when the DSUC was destroyed in RotJ.

The Imperial player needs to make a decision when the DSUC is placed on the board whether he wants to have a "shield generator" protecting it, or if he wants it played RAW. Then the Rebels can plan accordingly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
the_stag wrote:

I also agree that the DSUC shouldn't get free ground units. But if the Empire does have ground units on the planet, then a fun (and somewhat thematic) house rule could be that those units must be defeated prior to an attack on the DSUC. The trade off for that could be that you don't have to defeat all the Empire's space units prior to an attack on the DSUC. There was still the entirety of the Imperial fleet engaged in a battle with the Rebels when the DSUC was destroyed in RotJ.

The Imperial player needs to make a decision when the DSUC is placed on the board whether he wants to have a "shield generator" protecting it, or if he wants it played RAW. Then the Rebels can plan accordingly.

Well, the ground units would certainly need to all be destroyed before getting rid of the shield bunker, as per the core game's rules with structures.

As for the Imperial Fleet- I think the Rebels need to still play the space round regardless of the state of the shield bunker (IT'S A TRAP!) but be unable to hit the DSUC until the bunker is gone. Once the bunker is gone, I believe it would be up to the rebels what to do, since the DSUC has red health- if they want to focus their fire there, by all means they should go for it.

Since the possibility of a shielded DSUC is in many ways advantageous for the Empire, maybe we could see a "Befriend the Natives" card (complete with Ewok art!) that allows the Rebels to activate a system, gain three orange triangle units in it if at least one Rebel ground unit is already present, and resolve a combat- thus emulating the Rebels' working with the Ewoks and giving the Rebels an actual chance to take down a heavily defended Shield Bunker.

And/or, Rebels should get extra influence if they take down a DSUC before it's created if it has a shield bunker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmbmb
I think imperial shield generators will be one of the additions in the expansion. Probably a project card that lets the empire draw space tactics cards and maybe increases their hand size or something as long as it's out. It should be general purpose and not just heplful to the DSUC but something that could be used for the DSUC

It's vital when analyzing varients that you don't go thinking "Well this is how it happened in the movie so lets add a rule that allows for this exact film event to happen." Instead you should be like. "This is a thing that was in the movie, what are all the possible uses for such a thing and how could we implement those ideas into the game so that this thing can be used multiple ways, one of which being the way it was used in the movie."

A great thing about Star Wars Rebellion is how well it handles theoretical outcomes. Otherwise Carbon Freezing could only be used on Han and Lure of the Dark Side could only be used on Luke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Subtrendy Gaming wrote:
Well, the ground units would certainly need to all be destroyed before getting rid of the shield bunker, as per the core game's rules with structures.

Strictly speaking, there's no such limitation in the rulebook - structures can be assigned/dealt damage just like any other units (with an additional destroyed-when-alone rule), so you can try and destroy them even before destroying the rest of ground units. Unless you meant something else entirely.

And if we make the shield bunker a structure with 3 health, it's susceptible to being Ambushed. Not saying whether it's a good or bad thing, just pointing out the interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All this talk about the battle of Endor, DSUC and shield generators made me think that there is a short game scenario for just Return of the Jedi.

The Rebels start with Han Frozen in Carbonite and their goal is to destroy the DSUC (which has a shield generator) before the Empire can....

Well that is as far as I got, but it would be cool to have scenarios to play in a bout an hour that are both thematic and balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmbmb
jooice wrote:
All this talk about the battle of Endor, DSUC and shield generators made me think that there is a short game scenario for just Return of the Jedi.

The Rebels start with Han Frozen in Carbonite and their goal is to destroy the DSUC (which has a shield generator) before the Empire can....

Well that is as far as I got, but it would be cool to have scenarios to play in a bout an hour that are both thematic and balanced.

Have you considered playing the new Star Wars: Risk game? Like literally no relation to Risk though. It's actually a queens gambit remake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
David Umstattd wrote:
jooice wrote:

Have you considered playing the new Star Wars: Risk game? Like literally no relation to Risk though. It's actually a queens gambit remake.

Not too bad, either. It's balance is a little off in favor of the Rebels, but it's a pretty enjoyable game. I picked it up for less than $10 on Amazon, though there's a Black Series version with better quality components that's a little more expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Umstattd wrote:
jooice wrote:

I have.
But haven't gone for it.
I know SW-Not Risk is the battle of Endor all theaters.

I love Rebellion, i think its perfect! Nothing like a full epic game of this.
I just thought that a shorter scenario would hit the table on nights that I don't have 3-4 hours.
This isn't a must, its just that the talk on this thread got me thinking of this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is that this will all be cleared up with the, inevitable, expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave suggested in another thread:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24158232#24158232

that when the DSUC is completed it gives the Empire 1 reputation point.
It is both thematic and an additional incentive to build a second DS.

I am not sure I will play with such a variant, but it was an interesting idea to consider, especially in this thread.

Good job Dave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.