Subject: Disappointed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maximilian Uchtmann
Germany
Kaarst
flag msg tools
Hey guys,

I have bought a lot of board and card games in the past, almost everytime new since it supports the developer and helps with future content and support for the game I decided to buy.

After hearing about Codex today and watching a ton of reviews and gameplay videos i decided to add it to my collection. Even though i was completly hooked from the idea and style of the game, 225$ was not an easy decision to make, considering i am still a student on a student budget...

But checking out the content of every option available it turned out that I had to get the Deluxe edition to be happy^^
I wanted the map cards (even though they could get proxied) and the beautiful 6 different books are a must have in my opinion!

So I was about to buy the most expensive game of my life so far (single game, with expansions Descent is leading by quite a bit^^) when their official homepage told me it was + 108$ or sth shipping.... we are talking about like 50% of the entire price? Another 100$+?? (I live in Germany). I will definitly not pay 330$ for any game no matter how good it might be...

I am pretty disappointed that I don´t have the opportunity to get the deluxe edition...(amazon.com doesnt even ship that item to germany).

Any hope there will be a possibility to get one in Europe? Or do i have to try to find a used copy (which means the developer wont even get any money from me...) or is buying the different standart boxes my only option?
(Not considering Print to play since its a hell of a lot of work with results that a far inferior in quality)

With kind regards
Max

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Brunet
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sirlin
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
We don't really have a good solution for you right now unfortunately. You can get all Codex products other than the deluxe set locally, to avoid high shipping costs, but Deluxe Set is only available from us. The shipping prices on sirlingames.com are the actual prices it cost to ship (yes it's really that expensive and we have no markup at all). We also use Amazon in the US, but they won't ship outside of the US, and we really wish they would. We don't have international Amazon accounts, as they are complex to deal with for US companies.

Sorry that we don't have a better option for you. We did have copies for sale at Essen though. Perhaps again next year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Way
Vietnam
flag msg tools
Can't really fault them for this though. Small companies don't get much of a break on international shipping costs.

Ask a friend or someone to ferry it over to you. That is the way I get my games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rabid Schnauzer
msg tools
Consider getting the Print and Play of the Deluxe set. That cuts out the crippling international shipping costs and gets you all the cards (even the map cards) while supporting the designer.

On the downside you have printing costs and assembly time and you don't get the spiffy binders, but the P&P price, plus the cost of a bunch of color ink and some sleeves is a lot more affordable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just start with the Core edition and get the expansions if you like it. This is also budget friendly as you can spread your purchases out over time. You will eventually have everything gameplay related which is in the core set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Brunet
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

But that's part of the problem.

When I order the core set on Sirlin Games, shipping is 40 bucks. And that's without the starter set (yet another 20 bucks for shipping). Ordering the Deluxe set gives you a 100 bucks shipping, which is huge, but cheaper than the shipping you'd get by ordering all the sets separately. And you get the binders.

There is just no reasonable solution for international buyers. I don't blame Sirlin Games for that, but it feels frustrating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Fernandez Garcia
Spain
San Sebastian de los Reyes
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is not very atractive in the core+expansions version, as you will allways want all the factions for replayability, and thinking on it, the deluxe set is the right deal, most of all cause the books, that also seems quite usefull if you dont want to throw up 72 cards and refill the book again every play.

So, the real appeal for anyone really wanting the game is the deluxe version, despite of it price. And there is no option here in europe to get it.
What a great commercial decision to apart an entire continent of being able to buy your 200 $ game. Me, as Maximillian, really wanted to buy your game, a great game, but you don't let us.

I know many other little editorials that has some european distribution. This is really the first game that i am unable to buy in europe, so this excuse is very poor or, probably, all your competition are playing clever with this issue.

Of course, the print and play version for the deluxe version is so painfull to make that is out of discussion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sias Mey
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I kinda feel like I need to chime in on another channel here.

Yes, shipping is disappointing, but... I live in South Africa. For me, its not uncommon for shipping to be upwards of 150% the price of the item in question.

I for one am eternally grateful that Sirlin has chosen to make all his products available via print and play. I got lucky with a couple copies of Puzzle Strike apparently finding their way into a shipping container for a local distributor and I jumped at the chance to buy it. But I doubt I will get that lucky again shortly.

We dont even have decent options here for printing custom cards.

So even though the print and play will be more expensive to me that the retail price for the items in question (if I include the printing costs), it will still be far cheaper than shipping those items here.

I havnt read why Sirlin has decided to have P&P for all his games available, but essentially that and his online implementation as just about the only reason its possible for me to enjoy his games. And actually ... even though its small Im pretty sure my sleeved over thunderstone copy got me 3 players excited to be a community at a play session in a local mall last night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niccolò Ricchio
Italy
flag msg tools
you should be able to buy the core+expansions locally at your FLGS in the near future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eldibujante wrote:
This game is not very atractive in the core+expansions version, as you will allways want all the factions for replayability, and thinking on it, the deluxe set is the right deal, most of all cause the books, that also seems quite usefull if you dont want to throw up 72 cards and refill the book again every play.

So, the real appeal for anyone really wanting the game is the deluxe version, despite of it price. And there is no option here in europe to get it.
What a great commercial decision to apart an entire continent of being able to buy your 200 $ game. Me, as Maximillian, really wanted to buy your game, a great game, but you don't let us.

I know many other little editorials that has some european distribution. This is really the first game that i am unable to buy in europe, so this excuse is very poor or, probably, all your competition are playing clever with this issue.

Of course, the print and play version for the deluxe version is so painfull to make that is out of discussion.

There is more than 120 possible combinaison just with the core set. So having all the colors for replayability is not necessary.

You only keep your cards in the binders if you plan to only ever play monocolors. Else, you will keep them out because you will constantly changing your choice of heroes.

There are 2 options in europe to get the game.
1) You buy the core set + expansions individually from your local store.
2) You pay the shipping cost to buy the deluxe set from sirlingames.

Not wanting to use either of these options doesn't mean they do not exist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Way
Vietnam
flag msg tools
Paptimus wrote:

But that's part of the problem.

When I order the core set on Sirlin Games, shipping is 40 bucks. And that's without the starter set (yet another 20 bucks for shipping). Ordering the Deluxe set gives you a 100 bucks shipping, which is huge, but cheaper than the shipping you'd get by ordering all the sets separately. And you get the binders.

There is just no reasonable solution for international buyers. I don't blame Sirlin Games for that, but it feels frustrating.

I can't speak for where you live but there isn't even an option to ship to vietnam. However, thanks to demand, there are shipping companies here who use ppl flying often to ferry items. t is still expensive, but ends up costing 1/3 of the normal shipping cost. You should check for any similar services.

Or do what I do and make international friends and contacts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildhorn wrote:

There is more than 120 possible combinaison just with the core set.

What do you mean by this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pvtparts wrote:
Wildhorn wrote:

There is more than 120 possible combinaison just with the core set.

What do you mean by this?

Oops, calculated permutations instead of combinaisons.

There are 58 possible combinaisons. Still a new one every week for a year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sirlin
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Th3Way wrote:

I can't speak for where you live but there isn't even an option to ship to vietnam.

What do you mean there isn't an option to ship to Vietnam? sirlingames.com ships anywhere in the world, including Vietnam. I just double checked and it appears in the list of countries on the shipping page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximilian Uchtmann
Germany
Kaarst
flag msg tools
Oh, didn´t think this would get that much attention that fast!

David, I hope you see where this is coming from. We (or at least I) think you have created a great game that I would like to buy and support even though it is quite an investment to make.

It would be wonderful if you find a way to make it affordable for us to ship or buy at certain locations during a certain time (u mentioned Essen, thats not even far from me!! I would have definitly bought a copy there!) I will probably see you @ Essen next year though! Haha, its just going to be tough to have to wait so long!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Way
Vietnam
flag msg tools
Sirlin wrote:
Th3Way wrote:

I can't speak for where you live but there isn't even an option to ship to vietnam.

What do you mean there isn't an option to ship to Vietnam? sirlingames.com ships anywhere in the world, including Vietnam. I just double checked and it appears in the list of countries on the shipping page.

Ah, yeah about that. The reality is that anything shipped here has 30% chance of being "lost", a 60% chance of customs holding it up for processing "fees", and 5% chance the delivery guy gets interested. Leaving a 5% chance the package will actually make it to my doorstep as intended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chun Ping
Singapore
Portland
OREGON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Uchti wrote:
Oh, didn´t think this would get that much attraction that fast!

David, I hope you see where this is coming from. We (or at least I) think you have created a great game that I would like to buy and support even though it is quite an investment to make.

It would be wonderful if you find a way to make it affordable for us to ship or buy at certain locations during a certain time (u mentioned Essen, thats not even far from me!! I would have definitly bought a copy there!) I will probably see you @ Essen next year though! Haha, its just going to be tough to have to wait so long!

if you ask in this forum, i am sure there may be an american who can buy it for you first and then visit you in germany to pass it to you. of cos trust is an issue here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir L.
msg tools
Like you said, using native delivery by shipnaked might be quite expensive if you want to ship to Europe. But there's another option for you - using of third-party delivery operators, like Meest America (in my case). Codex Deluxe Set ships for free inside US. So you may set up your shipment to the third-party office, and then from there they will carry it to you.

I live in Ukraine and ordered my Codex Deluxe Set about a week ago. I set up my shipment via Meest America (by sea). So I managed to lower delivery cost from about $ 105 (shipnaked, without Ukraine tax) to $ 25.55 (+ $ 22.50 Ukraine tax for high cost imports = $ 48.05). So it's $ 48.05 for everything including tax, and still... it's like twice as less than via shipnaked delivery.

I'm not sure that Meest America ships to Germany. But I bet there's tons of similiar delivery operators that might assist you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximilian Uchtmann
Germany
Kaarst
flag msg tools
Thanks for the idea Vladimir.
I checked it and found a service that is about 40$ cheaper then shipnakeds service while still having only 4-6 days delivery via a well known company. But I also checked tax for germany now (19% + 2,7% for card games currently).

That means 225$ + roughly 70$ shipment + $ roughly 50$ tax = 345$ again...

I am pretty sure I wont be buying this until they make it available for purchase in Europe directly.

The game looks great, but for 300$ I can get so many other games and I don´t have to drive to the nearest tax center thing to pay and pick stuff up either...

Considering Print and Play again!
Seems cheap but 700+ cards are SO much work... and I would have to order the deluxe playmats as well with a lot of shipping cost... maybe I would try to make them myself too at a place that lets u design ur own mousepads or sth? And the missing 6 books.... Idk, so much work and frustration )=

Please someone bring 1 set to germany so I can buy it here from you for 225€ or sth^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would go the P&P road. But only with the Core set. It's really a sufficient start gameplay-wise and it's a lot less cards to print.

And later the game might be available in Europe, who knows?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sias Mey
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This may be off topic. and almost a little SJW, which makes me shudder.

But I find it really interesting that so many of you seem to think it a given that its Sirlin's problem to make sure you can get his game at a decent price from a FLGS.

PNP so much work?... maybe, but since you live in europe, im pretty sure you could find a company there that produces custom decks of playing cards... send the PNP files to them and pay the extra to have the work done for you.

The same is true for the mats. Even in South Africa every second print shop lets you print custom mouse pads. Yes, it will take a bit of work to modify the PNP mats into a single larger design for the matt. But, this again is something that a decent print shop could handle for a few euro.

And the codex themselves, well, start with default 9 pocket sheets and spend a bit of time to cut them if you need.

There are plenty of games which I have no option outside of shipping here from europe or america at huge shipping costs and pretty good odds ill never see them. And I'm not talking about obscure games (I kinda consider Sirlin's games as obscure, since they are not being distributed on a huge scale), we have had no official supplier for caliape games (Tsuro) for oh, 4 years ... maybe longer.

What I'm trying to say here is ... maybe dont frame your question as a demand / accusation against Sirlin for not accommodating you. Since he has actually done much much more than many other companies to make his games available where the "normal" channels fail.

maybe, just maybe /fanboying .... be that as it may, I find myself a little annoyed with others entitlement right now.

PS: ... this rant was probably more about me than the OP ... apologies for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vash TheStampede
Saudi Arabia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am really grateful that they give the option to ship to almost anywhere in the world.
Other companies do not give the option when they see that the shipping is too expensive.

$100+ for shipping hurts. Sure. But in my case, I enjoyed the game so much I am totally healed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximilian Uchtmann
Germany
Kaarst
flag msg tools
Hm, I get where you are coming from, but you gotta see that our situations are different. Here in Europe almost every game is available for no shipping cost/a very small one (thank you amazon!). I never had to pay anything more then 20$ for shipping no matter how many games i ordered, so this situation is new to me...

If my question was received as a demand/accusation I might have misphrased it a little bit. My main point was to make David aware of the fact that he might miss out on a sizable amount of potential sales if he limits himself to US only (or extremely high shipping costs otherwise - I know its not your fault that shipping is actually that expensive).
Of course I would also benefit from him including the european market ;p

To the PNP part: I have never done something like that myself and I fear that the final product wouldnt be good enough somehow. I dont like inferior quality games and components that look cheap or sth (self made codex for example?).
Maybe I get back to the PNP idea when I have more time to organize everything, or I wait for him to be back in Essen -which will probably be in 11-12 months?? )= Who knows, maybe I will stumble upon a used copy of the deluxe set during that year in the internet or I might even get over the game until then )=
Or I get lucky and somehow get a couple hundred bucks extra? Or David somehow manages to arrange a deal with amazon.de or whatever.

I think right now there is not much I can do but wait.
To all the people who already have a Deluxe set: Damn you!! haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Wilhelmi
Germany
Husum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uchti wrote:
Hm, I get where you are coming from, but you gotta see that our situations are different. Here in Europe almost every game is available for no shipping cost/a very small one (thank you amazon!). I never had to pay anything more then 20$ for shipping no matter how many games i ordered, so this situation is new to me...

If my question was received as a demand/accusation I might have misphrased it a little bit. My main point was to make David aware of the fact that he might miss out on a sizable amount of potential sales if he limits himself to US only (or extremely high shipping costs otherwise - I know its not your fault that shipping is actually that expensive).
Of course I would also benefit from him including the european market ;p

To the PNP part: I have never done something like that myself and I fear that the final product wouldnt be good enough somehow. I dont like inferior quality games and components that look cheap or sth (self made codex for example?).
Maybe I get back to the PNP idea when I have more time to organize everything, or I wait for him to be back in Essen -which will probably be in 11-12 months?? )= Who knows, maybe I will stumble upon a used copy of the deluxe set during that year in the internet or I might even get over the game until then )=
Or I get lucky and somehow get a couple hundred bucks extra? Or David somehow manages to arrange a deal with amazon.de or whatever.

I think right now there is not much I can do but wait.
To all the people who already have a Deluxe set: Damn you!! haha

99,9% of the time a copy will eventually end up on eBay. Just be patient!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.