• [+] Dice rolls
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in short it is not nearlly as detailed

but that does not mean it is a bad game, battlecars is more tongue in cheek than car wars, though in my opinion equally as fun

car wars allows vehicle design, battlecars has no rules for this (but does have nice car sheets that you can place damage and ammunition counters on, car wars had rectangualr boxes you drew you own things onto) althoguh this would probably not proove difficult if you wnated to try, though you would not get the nice car (or bike) sheets

car wars uses a turn that is in increments of a second allowing for accuracy (at the expense of time playing) and great detail in maneuver and speed battlecars has a much simpler move, shoot, return fire, return fire mechanic

car wars was supported but reams and reams of additional rules for boats and helicopters and tanks and trucks and formula one race cars all battlecars ever got was battlebikes

battlecars never feels laboured which car wars can do (allthough do not get me wrong i enjoy both) and has a much lighter feel to it, it is not exactly humourous but doesnt take itself too seriously car wars never really feels silly, although ofocurse elements funny and dsilly things do indeed happen

carwars will take at least a little setting up to play battlecars you can just grab a car sheet splash some weapon counters down on it, set up a litle townscape and play

so in summing up battlecars: beer and pretzely but very fun car wars; serious more time investment but still fun

hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarcophilus Harrisii

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmb
I would say: contained.

Similar game but two sizes of rectangular board, obstructions to be placed. Much simpler car design. Simpler driving/combat mechanics. Basically an arena duel. If you want a quick, easy to set up autoduel fix, it's good. If you want an almost RPG like customization and depth then stick with car wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Mind the gap
badge
Space for lease - reasonable rates - inquire within
mb
Thanks for the responses! I've played Car Wars extensively in my younger days and Wreckage more recently. I was just wondering where Battlecars falls in the spectrum between the two. It sounds like it's closer to Wreckage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely closer to Wreckage, but better than.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Depth and versitility Car Wars hands down. Once you know the rules the game is not laboured in an way. The supplements {uncle Als etc} are just a hoot and done in a showroom catologue style. Also the expansions give you almost limitles scope. I have Battle cars and wreckage and after getting into Carwars they seem shallow. I am talking about the first Carwars not the Diecast Dinky size reprints. If you can lay your hands on the VERY rare Uncle Alberts cat from hell this contains near enough all the rules you will ever need. Also deluxe edition Car wars and maybe a map or two {sunday drivers couple of arenas etc.} Still Loving it..........laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Grage
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Car wars is in depth. There are elementas of role play and the ability to personalise and add character to your games. You can have games that last days or even weeks with the posibility for campaigns and linked games. there are also many more types of vehicles you can use. All in all a great game with masses of scope for some really interesting games.

BattleCars is the kind of game that can be played in 30min if you really want. But can last longer. However its not the kind of game you you would have to leave and pick up again tomorrow. It is relatively simple to understand with no real expectation for character generation or role play (but you can put this in if you wish). I think its just as much fun as car wars but for different reasons. A great game for a wet afternoon or evening session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls