• [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Filipovicz
Germany
Offenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a great game!

Better than "A journey to the North" IMO.

The new mechanisms are not overwhelming and the theme is very good.

I have only played the 4 first Legends but it's already in my top 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for you insight, Pascal.

Is it more difficult than the North?

Is there a lot of power creep?

Are there additional NPC's (like the Unknown Warrior) which can act like bosses or special characters in custom quests? I can't find any images of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much, Pascal! Great to hear it!

I was afraid that all that wagon-tent-defending-thing won't appeal to me - not very epic in comparison with castle.

Did you saw already some replayable legends like 3 or 9?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Filipovicz
Germany
Offenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uncivil wrote:

I was afraid that all that wagon-tent-defending-thing won't appeal to me - not very epic in comparison with castle.

It's a castle on wheel

I think that I would replayed the legend 14 but not the three firsts.
The legend 14 is really Epic but it's not as re-playable as the Legend 3 or the Starshield expansion.

I've heard that the Legend 17 is the most re-playable but i'm not here yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Filipovicz
Germany
Offenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gampie wrote:

Is it more difficult than the North?

IMO it is on the same difficulty level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter vP
msg tools
mbmbmb
How do the Skeletons work out? Do they make the game more tense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played the first two legends with my wife. First impressions are very good, but I am not yet sure if it is better than Journey to the North.

It seems like it does not scale as well as the others. My wife and I played with two characters each, something we haven't done before. We both thoug that only having two characters would be rather difficult, as Skrals come out early and are difficult to kill with two starting characters, and there is no easy way to get strength points.

The new mechanics seem imteresting. Skeletons finally provide monsters that actually hinder heroes' movements.

In terms of difficulty, legend 11 was rather easy, but that is okay since it also works as a tutorial for new players. Legend 12 was harder. We won on the first try, but it was rather close.

All in all, I am bery curious to discover more. I like the skeletons, I like the new hero abilities and I like the rewards for the new momsters. So far, I like it just as much as the base game and am very curious to play the rest of the legends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Neumann
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started with legend 11 yesterday. I expected it to be as easy-peasy as legend 1 in Andor I... It is course not too difficult, but the hunt for food will defintely become difficult in future legends.

I did not like to play with the archer in Andor I. But as he is the only one to provide that nice magic witches' brew... I will need him :-(

The additional powers of all four initial heroes (and Dark Eara as well) are really intersting! So I am really pleased so far and look forward to legends 12-17 ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just chiming in again: I have completed the game with my wife, and while it has been fun, I'm afraid I come away a little disappointed. Here are the reasons:

- Too easy. There was only one legend (13 or 14) that we didn't win on the first try, and that was mostly because we mis-interpreted a rule. Had we gotten that right, we might have won that one on the first try, too. In most of the scenarios, we weren't even close to losing.
- Bad scaling. As all heroes gain new abilities, we played the scenarios with 4 heroes, each of us controlling 2 characters. Playing with just 2 heros will be significantly harder as there are powerful new monsters coming out at the very start of the game already.
What's worse is that there is one scenario that only reveals its full potential if you play with 4 players. I can't get into more details for spoiler reasons.
There is also a scenario where the heroes have to solve a personal, randomized quest, or they will be significantly less useful. Our wizard had a quest that was basically impossible to finish, so we more or less completed the scenario with 3 heroes. If that happens in a 2 player game, you are in trouble. I didn't like the randomness of the quests as some are way harder than others.
- Unclear rules. We had a lot more missing info and ambiguous rules than in the other Andor sets.

Don't get me wrong, there is still a lot to like in this game. The heroes are now more distinct and feel a lot more different from each other when compared to the base game. There are cool new mechanics, like moving your "castle" (camp) around, distracting monsters with jewellery, needing food and so on. The scenario that only shines with 4 players is probably a blast with 4 (haven't tried it yet). And there is a lot of variety and interesting concepts in the final scenario. The plot isn't bad, either. I also applaud the designer and the publisher for the large amount of content in the box, and I like that it is a stand-alone where reaching to the base game's components is unneeded.

But all in all, I somehow feel that another few months in development would have been good for the game. The greatness is there, but it sometimes feels as if it was a little too ambitious for its own good. I rank it highly, but slightly below the base game or Journey into the North.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Trantor42 wrote:
Bad scaling

I haven't finished yet but this, I think, will be my biggest complaint. (Probably why I don't agree with "too easy" as I tried with only two at first. I think having more food per hero is supposed to help balance this, but since acquiring food requires exploring requires hours, it doesn't.)

Trantor42 wrote:
Unclear rules

And this, I think, is the curse of all first printings of Andor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trantor42 wrote:

- Too easy. There was only one legend (13 or 14) that we didn't win on the first try, and that was mostly because we mis-interpreted a rule. Had we gotten that right, we might have won that one on the first try, too. In most of the scenarios, we weren't even close to losing.

If you find this game easy, what did you think of Journey in the North? Hard to assess what 'easy' means for you. You could be a highly intelligent Andor ace.

Personally I found the first quests of Journey in the North extremely hard. So hard that they discouraged me to continue playing. If this game is easier that would be actually good news for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
piman wrote:
Trantor42 wrote:
Bad scaling

I haven't finished yet but this, I think, will be my biggest complaint. (Probably why I don't agree with "too easy" as I tried with only two at first. I think having more food per hero is supposed to help balance this, but since acquiring food requires exploring requires hours, it doesn't.)

I haven't played it yet with just 2 heroes, but what you say sounds very plausible. Food was certainly an annoyance with 4 characters, but I don't think needing less of it will adjust the difficulty to the same level. Killing Skrals with just 2 starting characters is a scary (and random) proposition, and it's hard to level up.

piman wrote:
Trantor42 wrote:
Unclear rules

And this, I think, is the curse of all first printings of Andor.

Hm, I don't know, I have the first printing of the base game and Journey to the North as well and didn't have nearly as many questions as I had with this one.

Gampie wrote:
Trantor42 wrote:

If you find this game easy, what did you think of Journey in the North? Hard to assess what 'easy' means for you. You could be a highly intelligent Andor ace.

Personally I found the first quests of Journey in the North extremely hard. So hard that they discouraged me to continue playing. If this game is easier that would be actually good news for me.

I certainly wouldn't call myself an ace, as the dragon still kicks my butt most of the time. In fact, I think that legends 3 and 5 from the base game are still the hardest ones. Journey to the North had a good difficulty for me as there was still a chance of losing even though we were usually successful. I would estimate our win rate at about 75% for Journey to the North, with about 50% for legend 3 and maybe 20-30% for legend 5.

Something I find interesting is the character balance. In the base game, my wife and I had the most success with the archer/wizard combo for 2 players, with the dwarf being pretty bad for 2 player and exceptional with 4.
In this game, the archer was by far the most useless character in a 4 player game, he often sat around idling or going to sleep early because there was just nothing to do. The witch's brew, which was often vital in the base game, was usually overkill and hardly necessary. I wonder if this is different with 2 characters where strength at the start is very limited.
By contrast, I suspect that the dwarf will now be very useful with just 2 characters because he is the easiest to build up additional strength.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the deep thoughts on the game!

I hope it's possible to make some homerules for difficulty. But annoyance of food sounds rather disturbing.

Nevertheless I'm still exciting for the game because of

Trantor42 wrote:
Don't get me wrong, there is still a lot to like in this game. The heroes are now more distinct and feel a lot more different from each other when compared to the base game. There are cool new mechanics, like moving your "castle" (camp) around, distracting monsters with jewellery, needing food and so on. The scenario that only shines with 4 players is probably a blast with 4 (haven't tried it yet). And there is a lot of variety and interesting concepts in the final scenario. The plot isn't bad, either. I also applaud the designer and the publisher for the large amount of content in the box, and I like that it is a stand-alone where reaching to the base game's components is unneeded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.