Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brittyn Calyx
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, I've played Cyclades twice, and I've loved it. However, I've noticed that both games essentially came down to who got to purchase the Chimera mythological creature card towards the end of the game. I know the Pegasus card is known as being too swingy, but I really feel the Chimera is more so.

In my first game, the game was decided when the first player to go in the turns phase purchased the Chimera to get Pegasus out of the deck. Previously, the other player removed Pegasus from the track with Zeus' special ability. Then the Chimera-owning player invaded a metropolis with a large force on the complete other end of the board, winning the game and negating Zues' ability employed earlier.

In my second game, I was about to invade a poorly defended Metropolis with a large force, stopping someone from ending the round with 2 metropolises. I spent a lot on Ares to do so, and then I was blindsided when the first player to go purchased the Chimera to get Medusa. Then they placed Medusa on my isle to stop the invasion.

I'm wondering if others have found this to be the case (the card being swingy and uber-powerful), and is there a work-around? How can one even the playing field so-to-speak if they are the ones missing out on the Chimera card? I'm not quite complaining, as I feel the bidding tension around getting the first slot in the gods track is quite exciting. Also, fine strategy is rewarded in the smart use of the card; however, I do feel it's a bit swingy. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
The Chimera is by definition not more powerful than any other card in the deck. Sure, it makes getting the right creature easier, but the result is the same as if the player had just bought the other creature directly.

In my experience, the by far most common way for the game to end is the table missing a possible winning move and letting the victorious player get the needed god/creature too cheaply.
The Chimera makes it harder to see those possible winning moves, especially for newer players, but it doesn't change the basic victory dynamic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does however let you potentially pick the optimal creature for the current game state. This makes it the best card, imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
Well, yes. It's the most versatile. No argument there.
My argument is that you can't do anything with the chimera you can't do without it, so it's not the most powerful.
Whatever "OP" move someone did with the help of the Chimera, he could have done the exact same without it as well, so it can't be the Chimera that's OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just checking that you're playing Chimera can only draw from the discard pile. That tempers its power somewhat, especially when it comes out early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salman Qaisar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
soosy wrote:
Just checking that you're playing Chimera can only draw from the discard pile. That tempers its power somewhat, especially when it comes out early.

Also remember the Chimera is one of the ways that Zeus's cycling ability is nerfed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soosy wrote:
You could say that. In two of our (so far) three games the Chimera came out as the first monster... cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.