Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize if this has already been discussed but it occurred to me that perhaps future "seasons" will allow the characters to progress to a new tier in their class (i.e. a more powerful version). This could help alleviate concerns about the lack of fun skills (instead of mostly modifiers like we see now), the small dice pools, etc. Thus when you start the next campaign simply use the next level/tier of the class sheet which offers you more skills and both starts and max's out with more dice. No need to own the first season at all unless you want the full campaign progression. I think this would be a great way to boost the appeal of the game. It would also open up the possibility of using more "powerful" mobs such as dark elves and maybe even dragons as bosses eventually.

It's probably not going to happen but it would be cool in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky W
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same opinion here. Would be cool, but won't happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that would be cool. Love to see it happen but who knows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
tlhIngan QujwI'
badge
vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixed feelings on this one... On the one hand having ways to hang on to favored characters and continue to advance them could be interesting, on the other hand we may find that these characters already get to be pretty powerful as it is.

Clearly, we are all just guessing what gameplay will be like at this point, but if Zcide is any sort of basis for such guesses, I'm going to predict that the characters will in fact get to be OP pretty quickly and that any future seasons of the game will in all likelihood offer more diversity in things like location, enemies, and classes, over continued character progression.

That said, I imagine it'll only be a matter of time before House Rules rise to cover such things... I suspect that the first version of that could end up being split or dual classing or something?

In that sense, something I'd love to see, is an interview with the folks at GG, where they discuss in depth how they approached balancing questions during class development in comparison to the approach for balancing in Zcide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hausig
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this idea. As far as implementation it could be achieved by having a separate epic sheet that extends past the current one and not having the epic abilities be linked to a specific class or character. That would avoid having to retrofit to several different classes and give some mix and match possibilities. The epic tiers could also be earned as boss loot or level completion awards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Mead
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I plan on house ruling some sort of alternate advancement point system at the end of each mission. Then allowing people buy from a common pool of skills that would function just like the character skills that cost 3xp to use. MMO's use these types of mechanics all the time to allow continued growth past max level.

Ex.
The party has completed 3 missions successfully. Each party member earned 1 AA point after each mission. They each spent their three AA points on an extra skill for each character.

- The Rogue picked 'Disarm' allowing her to spend 3xp to make a boss drop his loot card for one round.
- The Warrior picked 'Consecrate Ground' allowing him to spend 3xp to bless the square he is in giving all players in that square 1 extra blue defense dice for that round.
- The Mage picked 'Mass Spell Effect' allowing her to spend 3xp to bolster the next spell so that it effects all heroes in a square.
- The Ranger picked 'Favored Enemy' allowing him to declare a enemy type and to spend 3xp to focus on the enemy boss and ignore the rule requiring killing the minions first for one round.

This would allow people to start each mission back at level 1 but still feel like they have gotten stronger after a few games. Players are free to choose any skill from the pool. To keep it more balanced, each skill would be chosen only once. I have been thinking about this for awhile and have came up with about 12 skills that I'll be using with my gaming group.

Of course after playing the game with the same character under this house rule you will run into game imbalance. My goal is to allow players to flesh out their characters with 1-2 extra skills that carry over between games. This isn't a Pathfinder or D&D type game where you keep developing a character for months or even years. I'm hoping that this rule would extend a characters life to at least 9 or so dungeons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.