Hide
12 Posts

Middle-Earth» Forums » General

Subject: Are common and uncommon cards enough to start? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dark yeoman
msg tools
I'm entirely new to Middle Earth--never owned any cards, never played it. I know, from comments here, that I should start with METW and METD, and have been looking to buy some of those cards. Some suggested here to buy common and uncommon card sets, which sell for relatively little, as rare cards are not necessary to play the game, and to buy specific rare cards later on, to complete your deck.

I can't find a reasonably priced starter deck, and was thinking of buying all common and uncommon cards of METW. Would I be able to play with just these--to try out the game--or will I need other cards. I know you need location cards and "fixed" cards (not sure what these latter are). Are they included in the common/uncommon cards, or would I need to find sets of these separately?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Ziolkowski
Poland
Warszawa
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fixed cards you can find only in the base sets - The Wizards and Lidless Eye. All wizards cards (Gandalf, Saruman etc) are fixed, it means you can find them only in starters. Also part of sites are fixed. Its possible to play without them but im not sure if you have really fun. Instead of buying commons&uncommons i suggest you to find and buy challenge decks. They are ready to play, include all types of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest you try and find Challenge Decks A through E (the Hero alignment ones). They will provide you a great introduction into the game without the hassle of deck building, finding needed cards etc.

Gwaihir still has B through E available: http://gwaihir.net/product.php

You can also search amazon/ebay etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Larson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try BulaBula's store. I've bought from their before. They has a pretty good selection of bundles, and saves on digging through eBay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dark yeoman
msg tools
Thank you all for your suggestions and comments. This is very helpful.

Wiet wrote:
I would suggest you try and find Challenge Decks A through E (the Hero alignment ones). They will provide you a great introduction into the game without the hassle of deck building, finding needed cards etc.

Would 1 Challenge deck do to test the game solo? Or would I need more (all?)? And am I correct in assuming that those cards can easily be mixed with the "regular" sets--can I get a challenge deck for the fixed cards, and then a set of common+uncommon cards of METW or METD and play a decent number of games without it getting too boring?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What they all said.

Sites are a real hinderence, as those enable other cards. Back when I was getting into MECCG after the fact, a wrote up a database program to create all the site cards in a sleevable format. Then get a map, and that part is done. But yeah, you need the fixed sets. Challenge decks best way currently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darkyeoman wrote:
Would 1 Challenge deck do to test the game solo? Or would I need more (all?)?

This can work. You would play the hazards in that deck against its own resource portion.
darkyeoman wrote:
And am I correct in assuming that those cards can easily be mixed with the "regular" sets

Sure, they're the same cards, only difference is the border on the cards' face is colored grey. Cardbacks are identical.
darkyeoman wrote:
--can I get a challenge deck for the fixed cards, and then a set of common+uncommon cards of METW or METD and play a decent number of games without it getting too boring?

I will check which fixed cards are in which Challenge Deck. And which ones are in none. This will take a while though, will get back to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the distribution of all Fixed cards from MECCG The Wizards.
As you can see, most of them are found in Challenge Decks A through E. The numbers are how many copies of said card are in the Challenge Deck.

Fixed Cards which are NOT in any Challenge Deck are colored red. If you only get Challenge Decks, those cards are the ones you will miss.

The green cards are the four Wizard Havens, which ARE in the Fixed sets as well, but are also COMMONS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dark yeoman
msg tools
Thank you Wiet! I really appreciate this. I'll get a Challenger deck (not sure which one), and take it from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darkyeoman wrote:
I'll get a Challenger deck (not sure which one)

Take a look at this file: Playeraid for Challenge Decks

It has all info on the Challenge Decks you'll need to make a choice (theme wise and card wise). Maybe it's good to know the Alatar deck (B) and Radagast deck (D) are considered to be the most powerful ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dark yeoman
msg tools
I haven't ordered any Challenger decks yet, as an acquaintance from my gaming circle heard I was interested in trying out this game, and offered to give me her cards (which she no longer uses), in exchange for an equal amount of Vampire: The Eternal Struggle (of which I have an enormous amount, so a very generous trade, in my view!).

She has 4 starters of The Wizards, one or two of which are still sealed, and will bring them over this weekend. She hasn't played this ever, as far as I understood, so won't be of any help teaching me this. I've decided to not invest in a Challenge deck yet, and try out the game with these cards first. If I like it, I might buy more.

Any tips on how to proceed. As I understand, the individual starters are unplayable on their own (or so some of you have stated on these forums), but I should have enough cards with four starters to create a decent enough deck, right? Any tips on creating decks? I suspect my first try will be solo, because the person who is giving me these cards is not interested in playing it ("Way too complicated!", she said when I asked her) and I don't have anyone else here who is interested to give this a try at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Rumm
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Starter decks are playable on their own. They just aren't competitive or tuned. There's a fixed set of cards in each designed to make sure they are playable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.