31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Martin
msg tools
I'm going through the rules and had a few questions!

1. I am playing solo at the moment and is 2-3 turns the average? I feel like the rounds over before it has began!

2. You are being attacked with 5 damage. You assign 4 of it to your unit, who then takes a wound. With the remaining 1 point of damage you assign it to yourself and you STILL take a wound?! That doesn't make sense when I have an armor of 2. I would think I would be able to soak up the rest of the damage.

3. If an enemy does ice attack 5 and assign it to a unit with ice resistance
4, the attack is halved and rounded down so 2 damage. Would this mean the unit takes no wounds? The book says if they had 5 ice resistance they would take no wounds.

4. How is the Tezla expansion and the Grang character? I have yet to add TLL expansion because I want to get the core down first and plus I want the rest of my card sleeves haha.

My last question is what other solo/2 player+ games would you guys recommend with great replayability? I really like deep customization games, with lots of stats and items. I have been on a binge of YouTube videos of board games to pick up with RPG elements. I feel like most of the time what I have came across seems to have less depth than pictured. I feel like rolling dice is what gives a game that extra push. I wouldn't know though, this is the first game I have picked up and I really like it. I have a list of games I've been meaning to look up, but after dropping $120 on this I need to give it a rest. These games and all their expansions sure add up quick and I have to have everything. Haha

Thanks everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RookieKnight3 wrote:
1. I am playing solo at the moment and is 2-3 turns the average? I feel like the rounds over before it has began!

That sounds incredibly short. It should be more like 5-6 turns per round. Check out the dummy player rules again. They are a bit fiddly. Especially make sure that you get your extra turn AFTER he declares end of round, and he only declares end of round if his deck is empty at the beginning, not after drawing.
RookieKnight3 wrote:

2. You are being attacked with 5 damage. You assign 4 of it to your unit, who then takes a wound. With the remaining 1 point of damage you assign it to yourself and you STILL take a wound?! That doesn't make sense when I have an armor of 2. I would think I would be able to soak up the rest of the damage.

That's the rules. I think they make perfect sense. Why do people think that armor makes you "soak up" damage? Realistically armor only reduces damage to your body, not cancel it out.
But think about it. If you don't assign the damage to your unit, your Mage Knight would take 3 wounds. Now you both just got 2 combined.
RookieKnight3 wrote:

4, the attack is halved and rounded down so 2 damage. Would this mean the unit takes no wounds? The book says if they had 5 ice resistance they would take no wounds.

I don't know where this halved rounded down comes from. But simply remember, that when your unit has a resistance of the appropriate type, you simply don't give him his first wound. You just get a armor-reduction for free. The ice attack 5 gets reduced to 1 without the unit getting wounded. Now, there is 1 damage left. The unit takes a wound and reduces the remaining damage to below 0. If the unit had armor 5, the first "free" armor-reduction would reduce the remaining damage already to 0. Nothing more to wound the unit.
RookieKnight3 wrote:

4. How is the Tezla expansion and the Grang character? I have yet to add TLL expansion because I want to get the core down first and plus I want the rest of my card sleeves haha.

I don't have these expansions yet.

I hope I was helpful
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray PG
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
RookieKnight3 wrote:

That sounds a bit on the low side, later you should have more. I would say 4/5

RookieKnight3 wrote:

No as you describe is correct, every time you soak DMG you take a wound.

RookieKnight3 wrote:

The attack is not halved, the unit just soacks up 4 dmg without a wound, however you then have to assign DMG to it again, which causes it to take a wound (remaining 1 point). If the unit did not have resistance it would have been wounded at the first (4) assign

RookieKnight3 wrote:

There is a thread here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1664519/should-i-get-tezla-...

RookieKnight3 wrote:

My last question is what other solo/2 player+ games would you guys recommend with great replayability? I really like deep customization games, with lots of stats and items. I have been on a binge of YouTube videos of board games to pick up with RPG elements. I feel like most of the time what I have came across seems to have less depth than pictured. I feel like rolling dice is what gives a game that extra push. I wouldn't know though, this is the first game I have picked up and I really like it. I have a list of games I've been meaning to look up, but after dropping $120 on this I need to give it a rest. These games and all their expansions sure add up quick and I have to have everything. Haha

Thanks everyone.

Welcome to Mage Knight and Boardgaming Mage Knight was also one of the first games I bought, you are now spoiled for life! Sadly I've not come across anything of it's magnitude and depth. If you enjoy games with lots of stats, items and RPG elements there are games like Shadows of Brimstone, but I personaly don't like it as there is little strategy or thinking required (but lots of dice throwing). If you like comics Marvel Legendary is a nice Solo card game, but it's not very deep compared to something like Mage Knight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier D.
France
Brulain
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the purely rules-related questions:

Quote:

That's exactly how it works.

Armour won't prevent you from being wounded as it does in other games, but merely makes one tougher by dividing incoming damage, resulting in less wounds taken (with a minimum of 1).

Quote:

Resistance doesn't directly halve the damage, but substracts the unit's armour from the assigned damage.

In this case, the 5 damage becomes 1, which the unit then has to take normally with its 4 armour. So it takes 1 wound (but could have tanked another 3).
If the unit has 5 armour, then the assigned damage would become 0, and the unit would effectively absorb the damage without taking a wound.

edit: Drats! Ninjas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray PG
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
Oh and welcome to BGG where the community is online 24x7 and so helpful you'll get the same answers in multiple responses delivered within 5 min.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RookieKnight3 wrote:
That seems a bit low, but basically, unless the dummy player gets a lucky streak, your actions will dictate how many turns you get to take:
If you're using up a lot of cards each turn, you're likely not using them efficently, i.e. avoid using just their base effect or using them sideways unless absolutely necessary. If your current hand doesn't allow you to take your intended actions efficiently, delay, do something else or only part of what you initially intended to get a few new cards that may fit better to your plans.
RookieKnight3 wrote:
What you think doesn't matter, them's the rules! Armor doesn't help to completely avoid damage - for that you need to Block the attack. Instead Armor will help to reduce the total number of wounds you take from an attack.
RookieKnight3 wrote:
You may want to re-read the rules. Ice resistance is binary: either the unit has it or it doesn't. If it has it, ice damage will be reduced by the unit's armor rating. If no damage remains, the unit is not wounded.
Edit: Note, that resistances work differently for enemies: For them, if they have a (matching) resistance, damage will be halved.
RookieKnight3 wrote:
The Krang character is quite expensive and doesn't really add much to the game. You should definitely wait until you've played the TLL expansion a few times. Basically, I'd recommend getting Tezla if you start getting bored by playing regular and TLL scenarios, not earlier.
RookieKnight3 wrote:
My last question is what other solo/2 player+ games would you guys recommend with great replayability?
I really enjoy playing Assault on Doomrock solo. There's lots of customization and advancement options for characters, i.e. plenty of items and abilities. It also uses dice for action selection in the (hard!) boss fights.

Edit: And ninja'ed about a half-dozen times, sheesh! ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RookieKnight3 wrote:

Are you maybe discarding your hand at the end of every turn? I'm just taking a guess because that's what you do in Dominion et al.

RookieKnight3 wrote:
My last question is what other solo/2 player+ games would you guys recommend with great replayability? I really like deep customization games, with lots of stats and items.

You might enjoy Thunderstone which is out of print, but I've heard good things about Thunderstone Advance too, but I've never played it and I assume it's mostly the same game. Check out Tom Vasel's Epic Thunderstone Varient.
It also sounds like you might like Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island which just got a reprint I think.
It depends on what themes you're into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Martin
msg tools
Hey everyone,

Thank you for all the advice and clarifications. Although I had to check some of replies for accidental multi posts haha. I appreciate it a lot and yes the ice armor makes perfect sense. I'm not really sure what I was thinking when I asked that. Sometimes I force questions to not have to do it later haha.

As far as the 2-3 turns per round. I'm using the dummy player correctly I believe. Only thing I want to confirm is I roll a random mana dice at the end of the round to add a crystal to his card right? If not I still haven't had the dummy player end my turn. I am not discarding say after every turn when I still have cards. But technically I am because most of the time I use all my cards. Mostly because I feel like getting a jump on the movement when I don't have anything to do. Which now makes sense to save some cards to extend your turns and maximize your hand.

I'll check into a few games recommended here. I believe I looked at brimstone? I think it was like a city management type game. Which so far didn't get many solid reviews from the sources I looked at. I could be wrong, but I'm heading to bed. I'll look into it again.

Feel free to add anymore recommendations even though there is most likely 1000s of these threads. And I have seen a few, but lots of dated threads and not specifically solo and 2 player recommends. I admit I haven't searched THAT hard, but have looked at a lot of YouTube people such as Rohlo (sorry if that's wrong) and my new favorite Ricky Royal. I already watched a video by Ricky about Robinson and have taken an interest along with popohamous (sp) but that game is ridiculously expensive and I'm not too sure about it. Also their follow up game something "bones" which I do have a high interest for.

Take care everyone!

EDIT: Any great reviewers with possible playthrough of the games would be great to hear about. I'd like to expand my sources. I feel like I've benefited from a few "not so popular" or maybe I should say haven't quite taken off on YouTube yet? Any names would be great!

EDIT2: Some names I already have written down are:
Runebound 2
Magic realm
Legends andor
Darkest night
Defenders is realm
Fantastiqua
Journey to overland
Pandemic legacy
Terra mystica
Blood rage
Aricola
Ascension

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Scothern
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RookieKnight3 wrote:
Hey everyone,
Only thing I want to confirm is I roll a random mana dice at the end of the round to add a crystal to his card right?

Nope. The dummy player gets a crystal of the colour of the Spell card you rotate out of the spell display at the end of the round (and the dummy gets the Advanced Action that rotates out of the Advanced Action display)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
RookieKnight3 wrote:
I really like deep customization games, with lots of stats and items.
Well Magic Realm will keep you busy for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Arnold
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Be sure to check out the 1 Player Guild here on BGG. Voting has just begun for the top 100, but here is last year's list:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/200265/2015-peoples-choic...

On second thought, if you value your wallet at all, I wouldn't go there...

BTW, *Spoiler Alert* - Mage Knight is #1...

Edit: As far as expansions goes, Lost Legion is a must have for MK. Tezla I found much less attractive and Krang is merely another character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Martin
msg tools
Thanks for the further help!

I sadly couldn't sleep and decided to read all the rule book before further playing. I watched a few YouTube and read the Game walkthrough before having the game arrive and I felt confident in playing.

I specifically came back this morning to correct myself about the dummy player. I could of swore I saw that in a video. Seeing how fast you get replies around here I figured I would already be corrected haha.

I will definitely check that list out. I don't value my wallet at all, which is why I need some self control for once! Especially with impulsively getting into this type of gaming all of sudden.

Popumonous haha. I MEAN Hoplomuchus!! Hopefully somebody knew what I meant! Anyways, it was rather expensive after not being to sure of it even though Ricky Royal put it as his number 1 solo game. Which was the only reason I considered it. After seeing it for $70 along with multiple similar price (gotta have it all) expansions I passed up temporarily. I'll revisit it after going through a ton of more game reviews and go from there. But I've came to realize most of these games cost $40-60 with just about all of them having equal cost expansions. So I AM trying to avoid games with an endless amount of expansions like that's Pathfinder game (which looks cool).

Thanks a lot everyone. Just finished the rules, I think I'll read the expansion one just to see what it has to offer besides the Boss guy AI. Although it might end up confusing me for the core game. Surprisingly the rule book (and walkthrough) are very well written and pretty easy to understand. I've read some complaints about the rule book having a lot of misprints, which I really hope/expecting was the old Mage Knight. Perhaps watching a ton of videos made it easier than expected.

EDIT: Forgot to add, I was very interested in Myst? I actually considered it before this and was my top pick. After reading and watching the massive complaints, mostly regarding what seems to be a horrible rule book really made me pass up being new to these more complex board games. Looks like such a great game too it's a shame. Maybe it will get a reprint.

Take care all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bruhl
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You could treat the "dice rolling" for the crystal for the dummy player as a variant if you wanted.

Red is red
Blue is blue
White is white
Green is green
Gold is the spell offer color
Black is the color of the card the dummy player receives from the advanced actions offer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Karis
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:

That's the rules. I think they make perfect sense. Why do people think that armor makes you "soak up" damage? Realistically armor only reduces damage to your body, not cancel it out.

Well, *realistically* cancelling out damage is exactly what armour is supposed to do. If you are wearing (an) armour, and I strike at you with a sword, you will take no damage unless the sword penetrates the armour. And if it does penetrate the armour, you will be likely wounded just as bad as you would be, if you were wearing no armour at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MacKaris wrote:
Well, *realistically* cancelling out damage is exactly what armour is supposed to do. If you are wearing (an) armour, and I strike at you with a sword, you will take no damage unless the sword penetrates the armour. And if it does penetrate the armour, you will be likely wounded just as bad as you would be, if you were wearing no armour at all.
I really don't think it's as simple as you make it out to be:
Even if a sword doesn't penetrate armor, it can still (and usually will) do bludgeoning damage. Historically, many types of swords actually didn't have much of an edge, they were more similar to big iron clubs.

Thin-bladed pointed swords were used to stab at less or un-protected parts of the body, i.e. they were basically designed to ignore / circumvent armor, but were hard to use against active, moving targets.

And armor can definitely help to reduce the effectiveness of pointed or edged weapons. It can mean the difference between a deep wound and a superficial scratch.

And that discussion's leaving out one of the most important pieces of equipment contributing to armor: shields!

TL;DR: It's complicated. There's too many different types of weapons and armor to realistically simulate their effects in a board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you are right.
But the "Shield" is perfectly represented by block-effects. If you manage to successfully block an attack, it does no damage, as it should be.

But if you do not block, the damage goes straight to your armor. And that can, as jhaelen already said, only make a difference between lethal damage and severe wounds
If a knight was hit by a strong sword back in the times, even if the armor was not penetrated, it usually meant a lot of broken bones or other organ damage.

But since these are Mage Knights, they just keep walking
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Karis
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:

Even if a sword doesn't penetrate armor, it can still (and usually will) do bludgeoning damage. Historically, many types of swords actually didn't have much of an edge, they were more similar to big iron clubs.

Ummm no. The entire idea of a sword is that it's sharp. And light. Some are sharper and lighter than others, but if your sword is not sharp, you'd be better off with a big iron club. It'll be cheaper and better than a blunt sword that still only weighs 2.5lbs.

Quote:
Thin-bladed pointed swords were used to stab at less or un-protected parts of the body, i.e. they were basically designed to ignore / circumvent armor, but were hard to use against active, moving targets

Yes, but that just proves my point. Either the attack is blocked by the armour or it's not. Whether or not it's difficult to hit someone in a weak spot of the armour is irrelevant in this discussion.

Quote:
And armor can definitely help to reduce the effectiveness of pointed or edged weapons. It can mean the difference between a deep wound and a superficial scratch.

How exactly does it do that? I'm curious. Yes theoretically I suppose it could happen that the attack glances off the armour and hits your hand or something instead, or that the beak of a warhammer only penetrates the armour by half an inch so you don't get hurt as bad as you would've if weren't wearing any armour, but those would be rare lucky strikes, not the regular function of the armour.

Quote:
And that discussion's leaving out one of the most important pieces of equipment contributing to armor: shields!

You are aware that shields are meant primarily for blocking arrows, yes? They largely stopped using them in the 15th century once armour got strong enough to become effectively arrow-proof.

jhaelen wrote:

TL;DR: It's complicated. There's too many different types of weapons and armor to realistically simulate their effects in a board game.

I agree it's complicated, but I don't agree that it's too complicated to simulate in a board game, and I don't agree with the original argument that it's realistic for armour to always only take part of the damage while the rest goes through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen Wiesner
Germany
Düsseldorf
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmb
RookieKnight3 wrote:

It is important to mention that you only draw extra cards for the dummy's crystals once per dummy turn, and you get an extra turn after the dummy run's out of cards, since he declares end of round only on his following turn.

RookieKnight3 wrote:

Can't say anything about Tezla. Krang's my favorite Mage Knight though, but (s)he is expensive for what you get.

RookieKnight3 wrote:

My last question is what other solo/2 player+ games would you guys recommend with great replayability?

Potentially Mistfall, which takes aspects from Mage Knight but is considerably lighter which doesn't mean easier. The Pathfinder ACG is strong on the customization side but *very* light gameplay wise. It has lots of fans, but I seriously don't know why. Portal of Morth is great as single player or coop game with several customization options, but as far as I know it's not yet available in the US.

You can play most dungeon crawlers and skirmisher table tops solo or duo though, as well as many other coop adventure games.

Oh, and Legends of Andor is a masterpiece combining beautiful storytelling with deep tactics, but there is not much customization in it.

As for Myth, the game engine is brilliant, the 2.0 rules are usable and the youtube gameplay videos will give you a good understanding of the concepts. On the other hands there are some downsides you have to weigh against the pure quality of the game engine which until now is the best I've seen in a dungeon crawler by far.

First, the base game is far from complete. It contains few enemy types, only one boss and a mini boss that can summon creatures not contained in the base game, so you will have to invest heavily in more miniatures. Myth doesn't deliver many self contained stories yet, so you will mostly have to create your own adventures on the fly using the contained quest cards. This playing style definitely isn't for everyone. There are story modules planned though, but these will only be delivered within several months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Karis
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:

If a knight was hit by a strong sword back in the times, even if the armor was not penetrated, it usually meant a lot of broken bones or other organ damage.

There are people nowadays who regularly hit each other with non-penetrating (blunt) swords with full force as a sport. No one gets a lot of broken bones or organ damage. How is that possible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
Realistic or not I think it makes for interesting gameplay.

I can't block this attack, so who takes the hit? Me or one of my units, if the latter then which? It also leaves room for completely blocking effect by using resistances. Basic golems are one of my favourite units because they can just eat an incoming attack-3, no wounds no nothing. And it gets ridiculous late game if you happen to get those über guards that give resists to all your units.

I also feel that block is somewhat undervalued, in the base game at least. Buffing armour even further would devalue block further which would really hurt game balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MacKaris wrote:
Anduin wrote:

There are people nowadays who regularly hit each other with non-penetrating (blunt) swords with full force as a sport. No one gets a lot of broken bones or organ damage. How is that possible?

If I hit you full force with a bladed weapon, why do you think it would make any difference to the impact if you put a layer of steel between you and me?
If you look at metal armor, you will see that they are typically specifically designed in a way that deflects impact to the sides. The same goes for shields.
And it is true that shields are mostly used to shield from arrows. But only because in a sword fight they are impractical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen Wiesner
Germany
Düsseldorf
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmb
Anduin wrote:

If I hit you full force with a bladed weapon, why do you think it would make any difference to the impact if you put a layer of steel between you and me?

Because it's not only steel, but also padded clothing underneath.

A fully armored late medieval knight was nigh invulnerable save for weapons specifically created for armor breaking and some weak spots in the armor.

Also, small shields have seen use in swordfights until full plate armor came into use and again in the renaissance age.

But this is not a medieval simulation. It's a fantasy board game, and Mage Knights are beings of tremenous power, even more powerful than Chuck Norris.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm aware of the composition of medieval armor. But since padding is also very stiff, close-meshed and lies tight, it will have little effect on impact damage. Padding was mostly to counter thrusting attacks (especially arrows).

But regardless, throughout medieval history, the technology of swords, clubs, and other weapons changed obviously in regards to the advancements in armor design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Karis
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:

Because the layer of steel spreads the force of the impact over a wider area. Basic physics, really. The same happens with "soft armour" such as padded jackets, but more importantly they decelerate the object that hits them and dissipate the kinetic energy into the layers and fibres, before it reaches the intended target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okay I think there are some serious knowledge holes about physics here, and I'm not going to fix them for you... I spare myself that joy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.