11 Posts

Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » General

Subject: Game recreating the movies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arno Noms
msg tools
mb
Sadly, I'm not rooted too deep in the star wars franchise though I enjoy the setting very much. So the question:
How would the one-in-a-trillion game look like that played out just like the original trilogy did?

I guess for the Rebels, it would be the base starting a Yawin, recruiting obi-wan first (noble sacrifice), then Luke, then Han and Akbar. At some point, Leia gets captured, Obiwan rescues with Han and Luke. Or is homing beacon played? DS moves to Yawin but is destroyed in the battle, base relocates to Hoth... etc. etc..

What would your game-that-recreates-the-movies look like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
im not sure but i remember someone did this in another thread here, you might search for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arno Noms
msg tools
mb
Before posting I searched for posts containing "movie" or "story" in their subject and had no hits for the first and 4 unrelated hits on the second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Honestly, it would be difficult (or, impossible, really) to recreate the films in this game perfectly. Reason #1 being that you simply cannot get all of the leaders on each side.

Even if one was to recruit the "core leaders"- let's say for the Rebels that's Luke, Chewie, Han, Lando, and Obi Wan (Technically possible, I guess, with Han's action card) you'd still run into issues. For instance, you have Obi Wan now, but the Imperial player doesn't have a way to kill Rebel leaders, so he's sticking around the whole game (the best they can do is capture, freeze, or lure him).

There was a thread recently about how to perfectly recreate the Battle of Hoth- long story short, they couldn't do it perfectly. There were a lot of issues, even including victory conditions and such.

Personally, I like that the game has the potential to have strong connections to the films without following their plot. I love seeing a huge Rebel Fleet attack the Death Star, or sending someone to train with Yoda. To me, telling your own Star Wars story is what Rebellion is all about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saro Gumusyan

New York
msg tools
mb
But Obi-Wan's part in the story would be to succeed at For the Greater Good to rescue Leia at the Death Star and then have Vader play It is Your Destiny and then Obi-Wan can use Noble Sacrifice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saro Gumusyan

New York
msg tools
mb
A New Hope is represented very well by the missions:

Infiltration
Stolen Plans (to put DSP at a good location, this is what could get Leia captured)
Capture Rebel Operative
Retrieve the Plans (fails in this case, or done too soon and the Rebels don't have Death Star Plans yet)
Interrogation Droid (succeeds, names Yavin, Dantooine and somewhere else)
Daring Rescue (could wind up failing)
Superlaser Online
For the Greater Good (Obi-Wan is then captured by Vader as mentioned and uses Noble Sacrifice)
Homing Beacon (if this is done over a few turns perhaps one of the heroes could fall victim to this while the others get captured)

Plan the Assault could fit in if the Death Star went to Yavin but waited a turn before attempting to blow it up. That way the Rebels could amass their fighters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Darth Coupon wrote:
But Obi-Wan's part in the story would be to succeed at For the Greater Good to rescue Leia at the Death Star and then have Vader play It is Your Destiny and then Obi-Wan can use Noble Sacrifice.

That's true, I totally forgot about that. I guess you could do this at a destroyed Alderaan with a DS over it.

Well, I suppose another example would be that only one Imp character can die, so we can't have Vader, Palpatine, and (maybe?) Fett dying. Also, that whole mess in Jabba's palace? The closest we can really come to that is to have Luke/Leia successfully attempt a rescue against a frozen Han on Tatooine opposed by Fett, but there really isn't a way to represent Jabba at all.

So, yeah, you can come relatively close to portraying what was in the films- but a perfect interpretation won't work, and you're missing a lot of details in the process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Subtrendy Gaming wrote:

Even if one was to recruit the "core leaders"- let's say for the Rebels that's Luke, Chewie, Han, Lando, and Obi Wan (Technically possible, I guess, with Han's action card) you'd still run into issues. For instance, you have Obi Wan now, but the Imperial player doesn't have a way to kill Rebel leaders, so he's sticking around the whole game (the best they can do is capture, freeze, or lure him).

I don't think Lando is needed as a leader in game terms; Ackbar is in command of the Battle of Endor, so take him instead. I don't think Chewie is either, really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
demoss1 wrote:
Subtrendy Gaming wrote:

I don't think Lando is needed as a leader in game terms; Ackbar is in command of the Battle of Endor, so take him instead. I don't think Chewie is either, really.

I mean, I guess I could make another post about how it's possible to get something that resembles the movies but isn't a perfect recreation of them, but I'd just be repeating myself at that point...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arno Noms
msg tools
mb
I think you don't need wedge, madine, lando and chewie (he is always at Han's side, so you treat Han as the dynamic duo). The Millenium Falcon is definitely needed.

I would probably save 'Plan the Assault' for the final battle at Endor, because there the Rebels are on the offensive. The first DS would fall prey to attacking Yawin and the Rebels winning the day with Luke playing 'One in a million'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
Thrombozyt wrote:
The first DS would fall prey to attacking Yawin and the Rebels winning the day with Luke playing 'One in a million'.

Actually given that in the battle of Yavin there are two attempts made to destroy the Death Star I don't think the rebels drew one in a million. I think they drew son of skywalker and thus were forced to make the decision later where Luke is all "My friends are in danger I need to go save them." And Yoda is all "No you need to search the deck for your jedi training and finish that. **** your friends." and Luke is all "no **** you I'm going to save my friends. What could go wrong?" and Yoda is all "well **** you lose a hand I hope you do."

Maybe I remember this movie differently.

Anyway I wouldn't say the rebels actually play seek Yoda until after bespin when Luke builds his new lightsaber and goes full jedi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.