Subject: Language dependency - light, medium, heavy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Javier
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
I'm not talking about the background story, which is obviously told in the language the game is printed in, but I'm asking about the puzzle-solving mechanics themselves. And no spoilers, please!

Case in point, I will play the German version with German friends and, even though I can speak German, my level is intermediate. It should be fine as long as there are crosswords, wordsearches, anagrams or other sort of light linguistic elements, but I can't handle puns, idioms, riddles or situations that require a heavy usage of the language so that only natives or those with advanced knowledge can solve.

If such elements are present, I know I can move on and try the logical, graphical and/or mathematical puzzles and leave the others for the natives, but just wondering, since I don't want to ruin them their experience and making them lose time by making them translate every bit for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mmmmm...delicious cheese coney...
mbmbmbmbmb
You will be fine. In the English version, I don't recall anything that required culturally specific English language knowledge to solve. Obviously, you will need a functional knowledge of your respective language to play, which it sounds like you have. You can enjoy this game as a non-native speaker of the printed language.

Relax and have fun! Wait...don't relax...the clock is ticking!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Müller
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
xavi2k wrote:
I'm not talking about the background story, which is obviously told in the language the game is printed in, but I'm asking about the puzzle-solving mechanics themselves. And no spoilers, please!

Case in point, I will play the German version with German friends and, even though I can speak German, my level is intermediate. It should be fine as long as there are crosswords, wordsearches, anagrams or other sort of light linguistic elements, but I can't handle puns, idioms, riddles or situations that require a heavy usage of the language so that only natives or those with advanced knowledge can solve.

If such elements are present, I know I can move on and try the logical, graphical and/or mathematical puzzles and leave the others for the natives, but just wondering, since I don't want to ruin them their experience and making them lose time by making them translate every bit for me.

Spoiler-free: Playing the German game with intermediate language skills should work fine. It's mostly careful reading that's needed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.