1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Favoured meat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Considering flavour, texture, age, preparation, nutrition, and whatever else might go into your choice...
Poll
Which meat do you favour:
Sheep
Cow
      69 answers
Poll created by JasonJ0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's an awfully limited pallette.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Caminha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
And so it begins...
mb
Duck is my favorite meat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Jlerpy wrote:

Of course, I'm wanting to know which of the two you select.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wykthor wrote:
Duck is my favorite meat.

Run,
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
In blackest night, in shining day, My Will is all - I'll have my way! With Emerald Light in focused ray, This Duck will rule! (If that's okay?)
mbmbmb
!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm partial to a bit of Partridge myself, served with garlic mash and red cabbage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Would it be wrong to suggest long pork?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:

nonsense! the range you get from a cow is nearly endless!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past, learn for the future.
badge
Cold racing to no think about the AZ heat.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me nah play no 'ide and seek
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I voted cow... but I don't think I've ever eaten sheep. Same with goat.

Pig is my favorite meat by miles, although as I get older, the saltiness of preserved pig products is buggin' me more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Jlerpy wrote:
sheep WERE 'nervous' & "other purposes!" whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
AdrianPHague wrote:
I'm partial to a bit of Partridge myself, served with garlic mash and red cabbage.
WERE that Mrs.Partridge or the elder Daughter preparing them 'dishes'? robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Jlerpy wrote:
mafman6 wrote:

nonsense! the range you get from a cow is nearly endless!
WERE it of some 'Mad Cow' why, it might end up 'tasting' just like 'Duck'! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Dave wrote:

Ah, excellent, a payoff.

Now this I find quite strange. I cannot imagine having made it to adulthood without eating sheep.

Is this common where you live? Are sheep a rarity there, or simply shunned?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:

The supermarkets sell lamb chops, etc., but I don't recall seeing people eat it. There are online stats for US meat consumption, if you can believe them. One: "In the early 1960s the average person in the U.S. ate about 4.5 pounds of lamb in a year. That has dropped to less than a pound in 2011." That's compared to ~55 lbs beef, ~50 lbs pork, ~90 lbs chicken as per http://www.nationalchickencouncil.org/about-the-industry/sta....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
My preference would be venison. I am not a hunter, but my brother-in-law has this strange fascination with spending way too much time is a tree stand, bow in hand, caught up in ten-point fever. I can always count on at least one or two decent backstraps to end up in my freezer every fall. Lean venison cooks very quickly and the backstrap is the most tender, lean cut of venison you can find. Venison sausage is a treat, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
Falcon 201: October 13, 14 & 15 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Dave wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:

The supermarkets sell lamb chops, etc., but I don't recall seeing people eat it. There are online stats for US meat consumption, if you can believe them. One: "In the early 1960s the average person in the U.S. ate about 4.5 pounds of lamb in a year. That has dropped to less than a pound in 2011." That's compared to ~55 lbs beef, ~50 lbs pork, ~90 lbs chicken as per http://www.nationalchickencouncil.org/about-the-industry/sta....

Insert that mind blown gif here.

I guess then that the US doesn't really farm sheep, unless the vast majority is exported.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tenpence nonthericher
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
Dave wrote:

Ah, excellent, a payoff.

Now this I find quite strange. I cannot imagine having made it to adulthood without eating sheep.

Sheep is not often available in U.S. Stores. The only way I get any cuts of it is at farmers markets and even then the cuts can be quit limited. I know one farmer that sells Gyro, snack sticks and chops beyond that nothing. while the one I work for refuses to make gyro but sells four types of brats and Roasts, chops Ribs steaks and Organs. it scares some Americans when you tell them I don;t have a heart in my body but there is one in my cooler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb

I voted sheep but that is with the caveat that we are talking Lamb, not mutton*.

We do really enjoy lamb. But it is one of the most expensive meats to buy here in the USA unless you live in a area with a higher middle eastern population.

In Detroit it would occasionally go down to under $4 a pound. Here in Washington State we are thrilled and stock up whenever any of it gets below $6 a pound. Lamp chops tend to run closer to $10-15 a pound when not on a good sale.

So we only have lamb maybe 6-7 times a year as a special treat. We mostly eat chicken, beef and pork.

Lamb is cheapest here around Easter... as it is a traditional spring holiday choice in some ethnic traditions. We tend to buy a lot then and freeze some for lamb stews later.

I have some fantastic lamb recipes. More than I can afford to make in any one year sadly.

* Note I have never actually had mutton, though I hear it tastes different from lamb. It isn't sold here in a typical grocery store at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Failing upwards... ever faster!
United States
Saint Ann
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
The problem with eating sheep is I get wool stuck in my teeth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never had lamb until I was dating my hubby. My Dad had mutton when he was a kid and hated it, so Mom never cooked any lamb at all. I was apprehensive about trying myself from listening to my Dad, but my husband got me to try it at a Greek restaurant: leg of lamb studded with lots of garlic. I was surprised and happy to find out how good it could be.

My husband is 1/4 Lebanese, so he grew up having kibbeh nayeh and stuffed cabbage with lamb and leg of lamb.

I keep my eye out for sales on lamb so we have it at least once a month if not more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
CallieMo wrote:
My husband is 1/4 Lebanese, so he grew up having kibbeh nayeh and stuffed cabbage with lamb and leg of lamb.

"Kibbeh nayeh is made of minced raw lamb or beef, combined with bulgur, pureed onion and a mix of spices that partly depends on the cook. (My family's spice mix: cinnamon, salt, pepper). All of the ingredients are kneaded together with a sprinkling of ice water, and then eaten — with olive oil, a scattering of chopped sweet onion, bundled in flatbread — immediately. Raw."

...and people I know get all grossed out when I have Haggis, at least it's cooked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AvidHunter wrote:
CallieMo wrote:

"Kibbeh nayeh is made of minced raw lamb or beef, combined with bulgur, pureed onion and a mix of spices that partly depends on the cook. (My family's spice mix: cinnamon, salt, pepper). All of the ingredients are kneaded together with a sprinkling of ice water, and then eaten — with olive oil, a scattering of chopped sweet onion, bundled in flatbread — immediately. Raw."

...and people I know get all grossed out when I have Haggis, at least it's cooked.

Yeah, I can't do the raw version myself, but when that same mixture is cooked, it's so yummy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.