CHAPEL
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Don't be humble you're not that great -- Golda Meir
mbmbmb
A plea!

Ok, so lately some in my gaming circles have begun to play more meaty games. However in the last year, we've lost or are losing a few members, and the numbers have dwindled a bit. But not because they aren't out there, just need a refresh!

We know plenty of casual gamers that like the lite euros, and that's great in the context. But we are looking for some down and dirty got some time to burn gamers.

So I'm looking for interested parties that may want to get together a couple times a month to play a really engrossing long game...

Games like Galactic Destiny! I've made a list of games that are of interest in this get together. So if you like what you see, let us know, and we'll put out plan of attack!

Check out my list:

Templars of Tartar

We know you're out there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume you mean "people who are interested in meaty games". "Meaty gamers" makes me think of something entirely different...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
I assume you mean "people who are interested in meaty games". "Meaty gamers" makes me think of something entirely different...

Me too. I was about ready to send Jumbo - my 350 pound gaming buddy - to Austin for Michael to use but when I found out I'd have to buy two tickets for him to fit into an airliner I nixed the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Subject: Wanted: Meaty gamers in Austin!!
Cannibalism is alive and well in Austin! Runaway!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chapel, all you need to do is an occasional road trip to Dallas and you can play these to your heart's galore. No need to wait for BGG.Con.

I've played so much Britannia and Manifest Destiny in the last 12 months it should be a crime. Lots of Adavanced Civ and others too.

As much as we play these in Dallas though, I'm still heading to the WBC for more to mix it up with other players to see their approaches to these games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
TrimChris wrote:
Chapel, all you need to do is an occasional road trip to Dallas and you can play these to your heart's galore. No need to wait for BGG.Con.

I've played so much Britannia and Manifest Destiny in the last 12 months it should be a crime. Lots of Adavanced Civ and others too.

As much as we play these in Dallas though, I'm still heading to the WBC for more to mix it up with other players to see their approaches to these games.

Ugg, I have to lug to Dallas for family too often as it is! So close yet so far. But will be hauled out there for 4 days in November!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm always up for more games in Austin. I'm gonna try to hit GHG tomorrow afternoon; never tried their boardgame day before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmb
I would love to join, but I don't think I could stand the disappointment of finding out Mike doesn't bear any resemblance to his avatar. Sigh.

Plus I live in California.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ed95005 wrote:
I would love to join, but I don't think I could stand the disappointment of finding out Mike doesn't bear any resemblance to his avatar. Sigh.

Plus I live in California.

By the way it seems to be going lately, everyone in California is moving to Austin.

Isn't an Avatar like a pet, after a while you just start looking like each other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmb
Bobby4th wrote:
Well, that's why his group is dwindling. The loser gets eaten.

Sorry, Mike, I'm watching my cholesterol. Burp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ed95005 wrote:
Bobby4th wrote:
Well, that's why his group is dwindling. The loser gets eaten.

LOL. And ironically my Avatar is from Frischfleisch, a game about cannibalism. zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there beefcake! kiss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm up for most of those listed.

I'm in (depending on schedule).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:
I'm up for most of those listed.

I'm in (depending on schedule).

Cool Joe, we'll work the scheduling out. Even if it's once a month to supplement the barrage of the fluffy game days, I'm happy with that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kämmen mein schnurrbart
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be up for trying to make it. It's always the stupid scheduling that messes things up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
How, odd. We just had a meaty game night of the most meatiest game that you cherish, TtA. And yet you did not want to play it. What is your meat avoidance excuse?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C.J. Olson
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I'm interested.
But, of course, depending on schedule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Not sure what the problem is?!

Recently (over the past few months) at Great Hall Games, the following games have been played on either Friday night or Saturday day (which happen each week):

-Indonesia
-Antiquity
-Die Macher
-Taj Mahal
-Imperial
-Caylus
-Age of Renaissance
-Various 18xx (every single week)
-Canal Mania
-Power Grid
-The Napoleonic Wars
-Puerto Rico
-Ra
-Goa
-Manifest Destiny
-Twilight Struggle

Played by regulars away from Great Hall, include:

-Empire of the Sun (hard to get meatier than that!)
-War of the Ring
-Advanced Squad Leader

It took me 4 weeks of requesting Indonesia to finally get a game going, so we need more meaty gamers!

Having lived around the country (including huge cities like NYC), I've found Austin to have the meatiest gaming scene yet (although San Diego came close)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
That's true. Great Hall does have some meatiness going on. I guess I'm going to have to make an effort to make a Saturday or two during the month. It's hard to do a Saturday all day(With all the cool stuff going on in Austin during the weekends!). I wished they did Sunday as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gravitt
United States
Northglenn
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Mike really meant : Wanted: Meaty gamers in Round Rock!! He's not going to spend Saturdays at Great Hall unless it's really rainy in Austin. It's the "weeknight meatiness" clique he's going for.

John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Hutto isn't that far away and Tuesday is a weeknight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jgravitt wrote:
Mike really meant : Wanted: Meaty gamers in Round Rock!! He's not going to spend Saturdays at Great Hall unless it's really rainy in Austin. It's the "weeknight meatiness" clique he's going for.

John

Yeah, weekdays would be nice. R.R. I don't care about as much, anywhere in the Austin area works. It's juts Great Hall does Friday nights and Saturdays...man, that is "prime time" in Austin!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
MWChapel wrote:

It's juts Great Hall does Friday nights and Saturdays...man, that is "prime time" in Austin!

I agree Mike. It is hard for a lot of people.

My own problem is that living in SW Austin, I don't relish driving 30 minutes each way on an evening that I might have to get back by 11pm...

...meaty games often take 4-6 hours to really *do* when all the set-up and such is included, and that makes weeknights a bit challenging unless you can get people who don't have to work to come to your place, or can find people who live really close by

What is nice about Great Hall is that I usually have a choice of 2-4 games to play in at any given time, whereas in a smaller group usually only one game is going to get played: it is hard for me to tell exactly how meaty of a mood I am in, so having a choice of lighter or heavier fare is a real plus.

In any case, I do agree that having a weeknight other than Friday opened at Great Hall would be nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
hamzy wrote:
How, odd. We just had a meaty game night of the most meatiest game that you cherish, TtA. And yet you did not want to play it. What is your meat avoidance excuse?

Darn abbreviations. Your post sent me persuing his ratings to figure out if Titan the Arena was really 'the most meatiest game he cherishes'. Now I see "Through the Ages" is probably the TtA you were referring to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Aylott
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I work on the west side of Austin and live to the south-east (in Lockhart), so most places in town are on my way home. I'd be up for the occasional weeknight of gaming in or around Austin.

I've had lots of fun at Great Hall Games on Friday nights, but haven't gotten to visit any of the Round Rock gaming groups. I'm sure I'd enjoy them, but the drive home from the north side is just a little too far when I'm tired...

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |