Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John
United States
Brainerd
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played this a few times at this point, and each time was with a group of new folks. But we have tackled it on heroic difficulty each time, and up until we started using the structural engineer (last evening) we ended up with the building collapsing as we approached rescuing the seventh victim. I was hesitant to toss that character into the mix as I had a hunch it might throw off the original balance of the game and I wanted to keep the difficulty in check for new players.

So we gave it a whirl last evening and yes the character did in fact save the building from collapsing on us... During the advance fire stages the two turns prior to the structural engineer we had a bad sequence of hazmat material chain reaction explosions which did a significant amount of damage to the building. At the beginning of their turn we had two damage markers remaining, and they happened to be next to a destroyed wall and a damaged wall. So they used their entire action pool to repair two damage markers, and then proceeded to roll another explosion that put out three additional damage markers, leaving us with one remaining. This allowed the next player, the paramedic, to rescue the seventh victim.

So... without the structural engineer, we lose in that place.

I'm torn about whether this character unbalances the game and I'm not sure this one play really says so one way or the other. Up until the very end we had been managing the fire very well as a team, and our advance fire rolls had been very fortuitous, rarely hitting a hot spot or fire location.

My guess is that as we continue to play the game the Structural Engineer is going to become a must have every play, but only time will tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which maps have you been playing?

My experience is that he makes the original-game maps too easy, but is very helpful on the later ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Eisenhauer
India
New Delhi
Delhi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The efficiency of the Structual Engeneer is very much depending on when & where strutucal damage crops up, and taht is random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Brainerd
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also curious if we used the character incorrectly. It is even possible to repair a destroyed wall, the character card says "Repair damaged walls only". I'm thinking we may have broken that rule and should have lost the game at the end of that turn. I do not completely remember the setup at that point, but I am fairly certain it was a destroyed wall and a damaged wall in a corner...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Brainerd
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firedrake wrote:
Which maps have you been playing?

My experience is that he makes the original-game maps too easy, but is very helpful on the later ones.

Original maps to begin with.. Last night we were using the front side (easy side) of the first board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Group think may be involved in this equation.
The way your group interacts can heavily influence the "power" of individual characteristics of the game.

In my games of Flash Point, for example, the Driver winds up being the game breaking character. The ability to douse large areas rapidly as well as a mobile platform around the building is significant. In games without the driver (even with the structural engineer) are tight wins or blow-out losses for us. In game played below heroic level with the Driver, the game is an absolute blow out win, regardless of other characters used.

Just food for thought in your analysis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jerival wrote:
I'm also curious if we used the character incorrectly. It is even possible to repair a destroyed wall, the character card says "Repair damaged walls only". I'm thinking we may have broken that rule and should have lost the game at the end of that turn. I do not completely remember the setup at that point, but I am fairly certain it was a destroyed wall and a damaged wall in a corner...

The engineer may only repair a wall with one point of damage, and in the office building cannot rebuild the partition walls (1 pt walls). Also remember that the engineer may not put out fire or smoke and may not repair a wall if the engineer is standing in or adjacent to fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Germany
Dresden
Saxony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maybe use him only after a certain amount of damage cubes is placed on the board so you can regulate him. because you give up one spot and a turn or two for his actions instead of rescuing people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Taber
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my RPG blog at http://www.usandacat.com/thelair!
badge
Work hard, play hard!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagherra wrote:
Group think may be involved in this equation.
The way your group interacts can heavily influence the "power" of individual characteristics of the game.

In my games of Flash Point, for example, the Driver winds up being the game breaking character. The ability to douse large areas rapidly as well as a mobile platform around the building is significant. In games without the driver (even with the structural engineer) are tight wins or blow-out losses for us. In game played below heroic level with the Driver, the game is an absolute blow out win, regardless of other characters used.

Just food for thought in your analysis.

I agree completely. We found the engineer to be very weak. We think the Driver is a much better character on many boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He's tough because of the aversion to fire. It's so hard to completely clear the fire from damaged areas for him to work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.