Hide
4 Posts

5-Minute Dungeon» Forums » General

Subject: Seems a little repetitive? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drift -
msg tools
Just saw the Kickstarter for this. I adore the artwork, I almost just want it for the components. However is it just me or does the gameplay seem a little repetitive?

Each boss round uses nearly all the cards, the last one uses all of them, so you end up doing everything fairly quickly, and then re-doing over and over.

Your characters don't develop at all, so your basically playing the same thing five times, the cards don't get harder, your deck doesn't change, you just have to go through more of them...

On top of that, it seems like whether you win or lose is mostly just luck. I realise it's a party game, but still... Am I at all correct or am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashish Nair
msg tools
Escape curse of the temple can also be repetitive, but there is still great fun from frantic, real-time cooperation. What look like simple decisions from the outside become much tougher to make in-game under time pressure whilst cooperating with other people.

There also seems to be hand/deck management, which becomes all the more important when the boss deck is bigger. Finally, there do seem to be numerous challenge cards, including mini-bosses which emphasise the need for good hand/deck management. I think like Escape, it's more luck mitigation, assessing and taking risks, all under time pressure.

Overall, since this is just based off what I've seen on kickstarter + Rahdo's runthrough, I think it seems to have potentially enough complexity to keeps things engaging, interesting, and fresh. Especially since each boss is only five minutes, that time pressure from that seems to be the key. I don't think it is quite as lucky as you seem to think it is. Rahdo did mention they were getting better each time, although he did say in Yt comments that it was much lighter than Fuse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Srdj
Croatia
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the fun of the game. It's not supposed to be some heavy card game that gets harder and harder as you play. Its just a quick 5 minute game. Its supposed to be a simple filler game that appeals to all. That's what the pledgers pledged for.

There are plenty of games that might seem repetitive but are fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim East
Australia
flag msg tools
The other thing to note is that when the game is shipped, 55 door cards and 20 challenge cards will be in the box, for a total of 75 dungeons cards to work through (with the potential for more if more backers contribute). So, hopefully, there will be a little more variety when the game ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.