Popular Tags: [View All]
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haunt 63 - Shush

I love the setup of haunt 63, which places a very fun restriction on the players not seen in any other haunt. Very creative.

That said, the heroes are given almost no instruction as to what they need to do to win. The traitor is told that the heroes win by destroying
Spoiler (click to reveal)
the [omen that triggered the haunt]
, but there is no instruction given in either book for how that is to be accomplished. It's almost as if the assumption is that the game rules themselves provide a way to destroy items, but this is not so.

My request would be for someone else to take a look at both the Traitor's Tome and Secrets of Survival for this haunt to make sure I am not crazy. If I am correct, there needs to be some kind of clarification here or it this haunt simply cannot be played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Haunt 63 Unplayable As Written (no spoilers)
There are absolutely spoilers in your post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:

This is so true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:

I have no idea about what this haunt is about except it requires destroying an item. How does that in anyway spoil the haunt? All he wants to know is if there is a rule that covers this and where it can be found. I'm interested in knowing myself in case I ever play this scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rcmoore4 wrote:
Magic Pink wrote:

I have no idea about what this haunt is about except it requires destroying an item. How does that in anyway spoil the haunt?

It's a spoiler, and more than I wanted to know if I were experiencing a haunt for the first time. One of the fun aspects of the haunts is that you sometimes might have a vague idea of what you're opponents goals are, but you don't actually know what they have to do to win. With this information, I can take steps to protect the item from the other players.

rcmoore4 wrote:
All he wants to know is if there is a rule that covers this and where it can be found. I'm interested in knowing myself in case I ever play this scenario.

There isn't. There are ways to steal items/omens, but any rules regarding destroying items or omens are covered by the haunts themselves. I couldn't know more without reading the haunt myself, but unless Josiah misread the books, it's not covered and requires clarification from Avalon Hill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I removed the "no spoilers" tag. I disagree that this spoils anything, but I apologize if I offended. As to the concern about "taking steps to protect it" those are unfounded. I won't say more for fear of spoiling any more.

Hopefully someone else can avoid the experience of playing the entire game only to realize it cannot be won. Until we hear from AH or Chris Dupuis (I Geekmailed him), I would strongly advise not playing this scenario.

If we do get clarification, there is unfortunately no way to integrate that into the book without actually spoiling the victory condition. So I think you "no spoiler" people are kind of stuck here. You can't make this playable without learning how to fix it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
happyjosiah wrote:
If we do get clarification, there is unfortunately no way to integrate that into the book without actually spoiling the victory condition. So I think you "no spoiler" people are kind of stuck here. You can't make this playable without learning how to fix it.

This was handled well in the first edition in two ways (requires one person to have the information spoiled to compile the info).

1. There are the updated books with all the clarification and errata.
2. There was a very handy one page sheet with a summarized errata for each haunt. I add that sheet to my haunt books, and players reference the haunt # on the sheet when playing the haunt to look for any errata.

Haunt 63 isn't the only haunt with issues, and there will be more. So I expect a similar solution to eventually take place for the expansion's haunts. I don't need to spoil all 50 new haunts just to update them.

EDIT:
When you get an answer, I do encourage you to post it here. In spoiler [o][/o] tags just to be safe, so that people who come across this haunt later can access the errata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
msg tools
The haunt is not unplayable. The traitor holds the information on destroying the thing.

I'M GOING TO SPOIL THE HAUNT BELOW THIS LINE. EVERYTHING BEHIND SPOILER TAGS IS INFORMATION HIDDEN TO THE HEROES WHEN THE HAUNT BEGINS. IF YOU WISH TO KEEP SOME ELEMENT OF SURPRISE, DO NOT CONTINUE.

The traitor's tome specifically says "The heroes need to win, but they don't know how. You hold the keys to their victory, but they have to earn them." The heroes need to collect a certain number of spellbooks. Some of the books are cursed and will deal damage to a hero if they pick it up (explained in the traitor's tome, not really pertinent to this). The traitor gets to pick how many of the six spellbooks are not cursed and are necessary to collect to win. The ones he doesn't choose as necessary will be cursed books. Heroes have to collect all the uncursed spellbooks. Once they do, they can interact with the box. "Once the heroes have collected the correct number of spellbooks, a hero in the same room as the box can pick up or destroy the box." There aren't any special actions listed in order to destroy it, so they just have to choose whether they are picking the box up or destroying it and silently indicate that to the traitor. That's how I interpret it at least, and I'm basing this off of another haunt from the base game where someone had to destroy a certain item, and it said something like "To destroy this thing, you can throw it in the furnace, underground lake, or chasm. Take the item there to destroy it."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry, I just don't understand that at all. The players are just supposed to say
we want to destroy this
even though there are no game rules or scenario rules that cover that? How would they possibly even think of doing that or assume they could?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelica F
Canada
Fredericton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
I spoke to Avalon Hill about this haunt because we were having the same issue. I'll put their response below.

"In order to Open and Destroy the voicebox, you simply need to have picked it up. Opening and Destroying it is a free action that wasn't clarified in the text. Remember that before you can pick it up, you'll need to find the correct number of uncursed spell books." So the heroes just need to collect the right number of books and move to the room and pick up the voicebox. The traitor will tell them when they succeed.

Hope that helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect, thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reposted here for those who feel this thread is too spoileriffic:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24154859

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
We had no issues playing this haunt as written. The traitor did need to prompt the heroes on what their options with the box were, but we found that self evident.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow dude. he made a relevant comment in a thread you started. Do you only want opinions that align with yours?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
...huh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
...huh?

That was addressed to me. I deleted a comment. Carry on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.