United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
"The Game Is the Greatest Escape"
badge
Me with my daughter!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Guys,

This is an unusual one. I've been doing a bit of thinking for... well, all my life, and right now I feel like I would like someone's advice on this. Sincerely. I want believers to give me a true answer to the title question.

The individual who provides an answer that I feel is the most truthful, insightful and helpful will be rewarded with one game from their wishlist and 1,000 Geek Gold as a gesture of my appreciation. All I ask is that said individual doesn't place any pressure or expectations on me to have their game delivered in a timely manner, just know that I will get it to you when I can.

All participation is welcome and appreciated.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
It's a sair fecht fur a hauf loaf.
badge
Furry boots?
mbmbmbmbmb
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

• [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, coming from my faith belief, the best way to be a good Christian in "Today's" world the the same way it's always been.

Practice love, kindness, and forgiveness for everyone.

I think the most important thing is just to approach everything in your life from a position of love and kindness, and good things will follow.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schoell
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's supposed to be a religion of love and compassion right? So you start there, and you end there. If you find a particular stance or tenet means you have to treat some one badly, question the stance or tenet, not the other person.

I'm sure my answer isn't particularly insightful, but as I am a nonbeliever answering, I feel obligated to withdraw myself from reward consideration.

Alternatively, start by listening to Meerkat. You dont have to agree with her lockstep but I guarantee she'll be thoughtful about her views.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer is the same as that given to the question "How do I be a good person?":

Don't be a dick.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnthonyDuricko wrote:
Hey Guys,

This is an unusual one. I've been doing a bit of thinking for... well, all my life, and right now I feel like I would like someone's advice on this. Sincerely. I want believers to give me a true answer to the title question.

The individual who provides an answer that I feel is the most truthful, insightful and helpful will be rewarded with one game from their wishlist and 1,000 Geek Gold as a gesture of my appreciation. All I ask is that said individual doesn't place any pressure or expectations on me to have their game delivered in a timely manner, just know that I will get it to you when I can.

Kevin

Great question. I hope that the multitude of answers that you receive here are worthwhile and help you grow in your walk with Christ. Here are my recommendations for how to be a good Christian in today's world:

1.) Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved (Rom 10:9). First and foremost, Christ calls us to place our trust in him and to live in His will. By submitting ourselves to him, and humbling ourselves to His ultimate sovereignty, the "gap" that is created between our heavenly father and our sinless human nature is fulfilled because of his perfect sacrifice on the cross. This gift of God's divine grace is available and applies to ALL PEOPLE no matter who we are or where we come from. Living as a good Christian in today's world requires that submission to Christ

2.) Love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength. (Deut 6:5, Matt 22:37). After we have trusted Jesus Christ as our savior, He implores us to live a life that gives honor and glory to Him (Rev 5:11b). By doing so, we reject ideas of selfishness, and instead look towards Him as one who deserves everything that we have. He has provided all things for us - the least we can do is to turn it around and give him praise and glory through our heart, our soul, our mind, and our strength. Revelation 5:11b talks about the multitude of angels who never stopped saying "Worth was the lamb that was slain to receive power and wisdom and wealth and strength and honor and glory and praise." By doing all of those things, directed towards our heavenly Father, we fulfill Jesus's perfect answer to "what is the greatest commandment?". That of loving the Lord our God with everything that we have.

3.) Love your neighbor as yourself (Matt 22:39). Jesus' own words perfectly encapsulates what He wants us to do when Jesus says "the law and the prophets hang on these two commandments". But how do we love our neighbor? By sharing what we have with others (Jesus promised that although he would leave, we would always have the poor - John 12:8). We are to care for the widows and orphans (that applies now just as much as it did in a middle eastern culture 2,000 years ago). We are to honor the elected officials in our countries (as long as their requirements do not require us to forsake our promises to Christ). We are to clothe our naked neighbors, and feed our hungry fellow citizens. There are so many ways that Christ provides to us to fulfill this commandment - Paul even talks about it in Ephesians 2 when he says "For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." (Eph 2:10) There are a tremendous number of opportunities for us to do great works for not only the benefit of our neighbors, but more importantly to give honor and glory to Him by fulfilling those good works.

And 4.) Love our enemies. This is the hardest one that I struggle with as a Christian trying to be a good Christian in today's world. How do we do that? Although it is a simple question, it does not have a simple answer. So I find it best to focus back on the cross, as it reminds me that I am (or, more importantly) WAS an enemy of Christ, and yet he still loves me so, so much that he was willing to die on a cross, for me, so that I would not have to be permanently separated from Him - on the contrary, His one single act of sacrificial love for me and for you and for everyone is the PERFECT example of how we can love our enemies. He sacrificed much to show His love for his enemies, and so therefore provides a means for us to love our enemies. So, do not curse your enemies, but bless them in anyway you can, as Paul states in Rom 12:20 - “If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.” In heaping those "burning coals", we put our hatred towards our enemy behind us, and instead show him grace in a way that, although not the same, at least mirrors the grace that Jesus showed towards us when he died on the cross for us.

I hope that helps, and I hope that you can continue to be a good Christian in today's world - Believe in Jesus, Love God, Love Others, and Love our Enemies.

(By the way, I just visited Dublin a few months ago - I love your country, I love the people, and I especially love the Guiness. It tastes so much better over there than it does here in the states.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I think it goes far beyond "Don't be a dick" and "The golden rule/do unto others".

I think the requirement on someone who seeks to be a "good" Christian (qualifier added by the question) is far beyond simply passive non-aggression or some sort of self-referential morality system. Just because I don't mind if someone does something to me doesn't mean I should be doing it to other people.

I think the required for Christianity goes much, much further both into active participation towards good as well as do unto others as Jesus would do.

I think "don't be a dick" and "the golden rule" are great starting points for humanity in general, but to truly be a "good" Christian you have to seek far beyond what you think yourself is capable of without the Light of Christ in your life. Christians are directed to bring about the Love of God on Earth, through positive and direct action.

I'm a little perplexed here because I'm not sure of the basis for your question. Perhaps some more background and/or direct questions will help guide an answer to your specific quandary?

Personally, according to my faith I believe that it is necessary to actively seek out the Light of Christ through introspection and by opening yourself to the Light to work through you, but that might not be the same path for everyone. I don't claim to have a monopoly on a "correct" path or the "right" way, I think it is important to choose a faith tradition that has a path that you personally believe is the correct road for you. However, I think the roads should all lead to the same end goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McMurray

Chickopee
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnthonyDuricko wrote:
Hey Guys,

Kevin

Nothing to do with religion, scripture, or an organization proselytizing either....

Try to do good every day. Try to help those that can't do that. Try to minimize the damage of those that won't do good. Actively destroy those that intentionally do bad.

• [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
Stephenville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In all seriousness, looking elsewhere is the start. Generally speaking, you picked the wrong forum to glean Christian principles from. While there area some Christians active on BGG, for the most part, and especially in RSP territory, it's the atheist and ill-informed that live here. I'd certainly look elsewhere for Godly advice pertaining to this matter.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robininni wrote:
In all seriousness, looking elsewhere is the start. Generally speaking, you picked the wrong forum to glean Christian principles from. While there area some Christians active on BGG, for the most part, and especially in RSP territory, it's the atheist and ill-informed that live here. I'd certainly look elsewhere for Godly advice pertaining to this matter.

I think honestly seeking from a wide variety of sources is invaluable. Besides, you never know what you'll find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Follow your heart and your conscience in how you treat others.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
Stephenville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:
robininni wrote:

I think honestly seeking from a wide variety of sources is invaluable. Besides, you never know what you'll find.

No, dilution isn't the answer. And furthermore his question has a clearly defined answer. "You never know what you'll find" demonstrates exactly why the RSP BGG forum in a terrible place to seek this advice. He just needs a Bible, particularly the New Testament, and someone who understands it to help him along the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robininni wrote:
jageroxorz wrote:
robininni wrote:

No, dilution isn't the answer. And furthermore his question has a clearly defined answer. "You never know what you'll find" demonstrates exactly why the RSP BGG forum in a terrible place to seek this advice. He just needs a Bible, particularly the New Testament, and someone who understands it to help him along the way.

Yeah but who would that be? It isn't like there are contradicting opinions even amongst those who are Christians. Kevin is in Cork (according to his profile) so likely Irish Catholic or Church of Ireland which are pretty different contexts to a US evangelical or even US mainstream protestant.

Most people have interpreted the question as to how to live as a good person - which is also half of chrisnd's answer. That is something everyone can talk about and have a view on. The other half is the more theological part, how to approach the more faith specific aspects of life, of which I (as an atheist) will be extremely poor at answering (although chrisnd as a Christian did answer).

I think that being a good person is more important than just having the faith that as a believer you will be saved. I also hope that people in general are not put in the position of having to make a choice between being a better person and following what their faith (or priest/vicar/pastor/church) tells them to do but it quite clearly does happen.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robininni wrote:
jageroxorz wrote:
robininni wrote:

I disagree that you shouldn't seek the answer personally, and that you need someone to tell you what to believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Anthony-Duricko
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Me with my daughter!
mbmbmbmbmb
I love your answer, Christopher. I guess none of it comes as a surprise, really. The laws don't change. But you distilled it down to the essentials very elegantly and for that I thank you. Sometimes an encouraging reminder is all that's needed.
You have earned yourself a free copy of one of your wishlist items and 1,000.

Everyone else has, for the most part, imparted some sound wisdom which I also greatly appreciate. That's why I'm also going to give everyone who answered thus far a tip of 100.

For the purposes of choosing rewards, this thread is now ended. However, I will of course leave it open in the hopes that further discussion will continue.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnthonyDuricko wrote:
I love your answer, Christopher. I guess none of it comes as a surprise, really. The laws don't change. But you distilled it down to the essentials very elegantly and for that I thank you. Sometimes an encouraging reminder is all that's needed.

Everyone else has, for the most part, imparted some sound wisdom which I also greatly appreciate. That's why I'm also going to give everyone who answered thus far a tip of 100.

For the purposes of choosing rewards, this thread is now ended. However, I will of course leave it open in the hopes that further discussion will continue.

Kevin

What's your background? I'm just curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Anthony-Duricko
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Me with my daughter!
mbmbmbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:
AnthonyDuricko wrote:

Kevin

How do you mean, Jage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnthonyDuricko wrote:
Hey Guys,

Kevin

As a non-believer, I think you need to decide what you mean by "good" first.

Good catholics enforce policies which lead to the weeks of suffering and needless deaths of women on the logic that it will prevent sinning (not even save souls). I'm not talking abortion- I'm talking tubal ligation and dealing with late term miscarriages.

I.e. are you talking about salvation or being a nice person?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnthonyDuricko wrote:

Kevin

Well, fantastically unexpected wonderfulness!

Most importantly, though, I hope that whereever you are in your relationship with Christ, that it continues to grow, and that you can become the good Christian (or better Christian) that you seek to become. Again, thanks for the question - it really made me consider where I am in my walk when trying to help you in yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
How to be a good Christian in today's world?

Do everything he says, duh!

(note: 'says' is present tense

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
AnthonyDuricko wrote:
Hey Guys,

Kevin

Being a modern Christian means recognizing the truth in the world -- the Earth is not 6000 years old, evolution occurred, men having long hair isn't "unnatural" so much as a cultural prescription against barbarians.

Quote:
1 Corinthians 11, v.13-16: Judge for yourselves: Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, 15but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering. 16If anyone wants to be contentious about this, we have no other practice—nor do the churches of God.

It means understanding that the Bible was written in a time and a place and that the truth contained within is not inviolate.

Essentially, remaining a Biblical fundamentalist requires a (quite literally) unholy level of irrationality.

There are a lot of theories of religiosity, w/ intrinsic (personal relationship w/ God,) extrinsic (fellowship w/ your Church,) and quest (a focus on questioning and mystery,) being my preferred model of understanding. You should pause at anything that focuses only on one of those. You shouldn't necessarily reject it, but you should think about it, if you're inclined.

Modern Christianity means rejecting the notion of Christianity being about rejecting the world whole cloth. God gave you reason and empiricism, use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnthonyDuricko wrote:
jageroxorz wrote:
AnthonyDuricko wrote:

Kevin

How do you mean, Jage?

I don't know, your story. How would you answer the question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, I agree with what most people have said above. To be good in today's world, however, and to grow spiritually, requires constant -- daily -- inspiration.

I recommend you memorize and recite the following passage (you may, of course, find others later):

2 Peter 1:5-10

and regularly read and meditate on this one:

2 Peter 3:9-18

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
whistle LISTEN, HEED, and implement "lessons learnt", too-fer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Anthony-Duricko
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Me with my daughter!
mbmbmbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:
AnthonyDuricko wrote:
jageroxorz wrote:

How do you mean, Jage?

I don't know, your story. How would you answer the question?

I was born and raised in Cork, Ireland. I'm still living there... for now. Very soon, I will be upping sticks and moving to the United States with my wife (a New Yorker) and our newborn treasure, Onofria. I hope to make a career as an actor. Right now I'm working in a call center.

I was raised a Roman Catholic. While my father frequently brought me to Mass as a matter of course growing up, religion was by no means enforced in our family. It was sort of just placed on the table for us to investigate if we were so inclined. Since mid to late adolescence I've felt drawn to Christ. I'm now in my early twenties. I know that God is with us. God is truth. Untruth is what we call "sin", I guess. It feels so intolerable because it is not of God - God being all existence - and therefore belongs to non-existence which is not anything and so cannot harmoniously occupy any space. In my mind it's straight physics, chemistry and biology all boiled into one.

I also have a somewhat unhealthy enjoyment of board games. It's nowhere near as bad as what used to be my video game addiction, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.