$20.00
$15.00
$5.00
Recommend
11 
 Thumb up
 Hide
57 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Is a burrito a sandwich? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Send me a geekmail if you'd like to buy a copy!
badge
I have to return some videotapes.
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted on twitter that I needed to find a sandwich to have for dinner because it is National Sandwich Day and I LOVE sandwiches. I'd eat one for lunch but I brought a burrito because BurrEato is in full swing and a burrito is NOT a sandwich. I've already started...educating...people on Twitter about it this morning. What say you?

Poll
It isn't but let's see how many people want to be wrong.
Is a Burrito a Sandwich?
Yes
No
      86 answers
Poll created by disom
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking


"Does it LOOK like I'm holding a small donkey?"
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What if I wrap my burrito inside a second tortilla? Does that make it a sammich?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
What if I wrap my burrito inside a second tortilla? Does that make it a sammich?

If you put a burrito between two slices of bread, then, and only then, is it also a sandwich.

And no, tortillas are not "slices of bread."
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sandwich

So as I would describe a burrito as

A composite barely edible material consisting of layers often of high-strength facings bonded to a low taste central core.

Yes I think it counts.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sandwich

So as I would describe a burrito as

A composite barley edible material consisting of layers often of high-strength facings bonded to a low taste central core.

Yes I think it counts.


Fail.

This is basic stuff-- even kids on Sesame Street can be taught the difference of a food filling "between" (sandwich) and a filling "enclosed by" (burrito).
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's close enough for horseshoes. (Or if you're hungry for one on sandwich day, anyway.)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sandwich

So as I would describe a burrito as

A composite barley edible material consisting of layers often of high-strength facings bonded to a low taste central core.

Yes I think it counts.


Fail.

This is basic stuff-- even kids on Sesame Street can be taught the difference of a food filling "between" (sandwich) and a filling "enclosed by" (burrito).

Not my problem, what do kids know?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Lola Cat 2010-2014
mb
I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I'll say it's close enough to count as a sandwich.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Send me a geekmail if you'd like to buy a copy!
badge
I have to return some videotapes.
mbmbmbmbmb
futhee wrote:
I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I'll say it's close enough to count as a sandwich.


Wraps aren't sandwiches.
Wraps = burritos.
Burritos = wraps.
Burritos aren't sandwiches.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
0110100110010110
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is a turkey wrap a sandwich? Is a pita pocket a sandwich? I would say yes to both, and these have some of the same structural issues as a burrito.

On the other hand,

Is a hotdog a sandwich? My instincts say no, and it is less "enclosed" than a burrito. (The logical part of my brain now wants to call it a sandwich.)

Clearly a hamburger is a sandwich, but that's not up for debate at all.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a sandwich when marketing men want to target a demographic, it's not a sandwich when lawyers want to establish a test case (and vice versa).

It all depends on what the "lobbying group" wants to establish at the time.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Verdigris97 wrote:
Is a turkey wrap a sandwich? Is a pita pocket a sandwich? I would say yes to both, and these have some of the same structural issues as a burrito.

On the other hand,

Is a hotdog a sandwich? My instincts say no, and it is less "enclosed" than a burrito. (The logical part of my brain now wants to call it a sandwich.)

Clearly a hamburger is a sandwich, but that's not up for debate at all.

I remember as a kid reading an old Perry Mason book where they kept talking about "Let's go eat some hamburger sandwiches," and being kind of freaked out at first, then realizing that yes, a hamburger is a sandwich.

But burritos and wraps are not.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Send me a geekmail if you'd like to buy a copy!
badge
I have to return some videotapes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Verdigris97 wrote:
Is a turkey wrap a sandwich?

No.

Verdigris97 wrote:
Is a pita pocket a sandwich?

Yes.

Verdigris97 wrote:
Is a hotdog a sandwich? My instincts say no, and it is less "enclosed" than a burrito. (The logical part of my brain now wants to call it a sandwich.)

Yes, a hot dog is a sandwich. To prove my point, see the following:



That is a sausage....sandwich. You wouldn't call it anything else. So a hot dog is, in fact, a sandwich.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Burritos, wraps, pita pockets, and sandwiches are all related in that they are ways to encapsulate food fillings in such a way that you can take them from plate to mouth.

Cars, airplanes, and trains are all related in that they are ways to encapsulate travelers in such a way that you can take them from place to place.

Cars are not trains.

Burritos are not sandwiches.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb


At the least, first cousins
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
0110100110010110
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are wraps not sandwiches? Because of the "between" vs. "inside of" issue, or for some deeper reason that I cannot fathom?

I don't buy into the "inside is not between" argument, by the way... If you are inside the city walls ("inter vallum," not "intra vallum") you are also between the walls. So being wrapped in something counts as being between pieces of it, in my book. The pieces just happen to be connected in some cases (hotdog, pita pocket, wrap, burrito).

The whole point of a sandwich is to have an edible component that protects your hands from grease and other liquids on the food you really want to eat. If it is bread, or tortilla, or... as long as you can eat everything you are holding, and your hands are protected from the goopy stuff, I think you are eating a sandwich.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
mb
Burrito:

Quote:
Tortilla
Quote:
Filling


Sandwich:

Quote:
Bread
Quote:
Filling
Quote:
Bread

15 
 Thumb up
0.06
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Send me a geekmail if you'd like to buy a copy!
badge
I have to return some videotapes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Verdigris97 wrote:
Why are wraps not sandwiches? Because of the "between" vs. "inside of" issue, or for some deeper reason that I cannot fathom?


We could get into two separate arguments:

1) The word sandwich as a verb means to put (someone or something) in the space between two other things or people. A tortilla does not sandwich something, it wraps around it.

2) To take that further, a tortilla is not bread. And before you say it Matzo or any other unleavened item is also not bread. A pita on the other hand is leavened so that counts.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Verdigris97 wrote:
Why are wraps not sandwiches? Because of the "between" vs. "inside of" issue, or for some deeper reason that I cannot fathom?

I don't buy into the "inside is not between" argument, by the way... If you are inside the city walls ("inter vallum," not "intra vallum") you are also between the walls. So being wrapped in something counts as being between pieces of it, in my book. The pieces just happen to be connected in some cases (hotdog, pita pocket, wrap, burrito).

The whole point of a sandwich is to have an edible component that protects your hands from grease and other liquids on the food you really want to eat. If it is bread, or tortilla, or... as long as you can eat everything you are holding, and your hands are protected from the goopy stuff, I think you are eating a sandwich.


Things can be very similar and even fulfill similar functions and yet not be exactly the same thing or called by the same name. We're complicated like that.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
mb
Verdigris97 wrote:
The whole point of a sandwich is to have an edible component that protects your hands from grease and other liquids on the food you really want to eat. If it is bread, or tortilla, or... as long as you can eat everything you are holding, and your hands are protected from the goopy stuff, I think you are eating a sandwich.


Is a Cornish pasty a sandwich? What about an ice-cream cone?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
0110100110010110
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are these sandwiches?

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Send me a geekmail if you'd like to buy a copy!
badge
I have to return some videotapes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Two pieces of bread have been crimped together. Still a sandwich.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Turn the figurehead into the wind, lash the crew to the masts, and God be with us.
badge
Fun Fact: Known to sniff glitter-glue out of a Muse's thong.
mbmbmbmbmb
Verdigris97 wrote:
Are these sandwiches?


No, those are training wheels for Hot Pockets.
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
0110100110010110
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:
Verdigris97 wrote:
Are these sandwiches?


No, those are training wheels for Hot Pockets.


Are Hot Pockets sandwiches? devil

(I am really enjoying this conversation. In my mind I have escaped the hundreds of Sisyphean tasks in front of me and we're all sitting around a heated pool, drinking our beverages of choice, pondering the really important questions. And we're waiting for the grillmaster to announce the food is ready, but, you know, whenever. I could eat, I could wait. But I'll probably want some sort of sandwich.)
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.