United States
Edgerton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, this game looks interesting, in an abstract- but light-strategy sort of way. I have not played it, only read the rules. But upon reading the rules, I wonder if the designer ever thought of using dice instead of chits?

The way I would see it working would be to have each chit be a die, and you always have two dice rolled and available (hidden?). But placement and rules would play exactly the same.

The reason I think of this would be personally interesting is that I have a soft spot for dice, and a large field of colored dice is, in my opinion, a beautiful thing. I also don't really care for chits-in-a-bag, but maybe that's just me.

I could see this having been considered by the designer, but the cost being the issue. But two other games come to mind with lots of colored dice: Sagrada and Roll Player. Sagrada in particular is an interesting one, as that game already has 18 dice in 4(+) colors! And white-pipped translucent dice would really fit in nicely with the "light" theme.

So in all, I wonder if dice were ever considered during the development of Glüx? I think it would be a fun, interesting, and potentially beautiful variation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic DiGital
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I was wondering. Instead of pulling from a bag, you could roll the dice, and just pick that side or the opposite side to place on the board. The only difference is that with chits, you have a set breakdown of how many of each number there is, where dice it's possible to have 28 1's on the board (although statistically unlikely). I'd be curious to try. I've got hundreds of dice in various colors.

As to the cost, a 36-pack of 12mm dice runs about $7 or so if you're just buying them straight up, so I don't think it's unreasonable to assume you'd be adding at least $10 to $20 to the price of the game by including more than 100 dice. But how much cooler would this game look if it was all translucent dice on the board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I love the simplicity of pulling the disk out of the bag, and it ensures an equal distribution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Macleod
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that would make the game too random the cardboard pieces ensure everyone has the exact same moves available to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob G

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
I would be interested in custom dice or bakelite tiles (a la Hive or Codinca)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carter
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While this wouldn't be an issue playing with friends, having dice would also make it easier to cheat. They're hidden so the person could change it to whatever they wanted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris Popov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
badge
mb
IdleHacker wrote:
While this wouldn't be an issue playing with friends, having dice would also make it easier to cheat. They're hidden so the person could change it to whatever they wanted.

How are they hidden? You roll a die and everyone sees the result immediately. The sum of points on each pair of opposite sides of a die is always 7 - same as the chits. You only need to roll the die at the beginning of your turn and not the end of it which might make the game a bit longer as each player will have to think during his turn only.

If you want to roll the dice at the end of each player's turn, you may do so using a cup like those of Liar's Dice or Dice Town. You look at the dice secretly and cover it with the cup. If you are not allow to touch the die after it has been rolled, good luck trying to cheat and roll it onto the side you would like to have!

I bought 4 sets of 24 translucent 16mm for about 18 each and I will play this game as a PnP.

I think the publisher went with the chits instead of dice to lower the production costs. I am very interested to hear the Designer's view on the matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carter
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
r2d2m2 wrote:
How are they hidden? You roll a die and everyone sees the result immediately.

I was basing it on the way the rules work now and this in the OP:
gipyls wrote:
The way I would see it working would be to have each chit be a die, and you always have two dice rolled and available (hidden?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris Popov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
badge
mb
My wife and me just played it with dice - you place one and roll another under a cup taken from Liar's Dice. You look at it keeping it a secret from the opponent and can think about where to place it during the opponent's turn. The game plays quickly and is gorgeous to look at.

Sure, you have a smidgeon of luck more, but since there are practically 3 possible outcomes of a roll - 1-6, 2-5, 3-4 it all pretty much evens out statistically.

We are sticking to our dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Gumienny
Canada
markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
I bet they decided on the chips because it was more cost efficient and leveled out the playing field.

I do however have 3 ideas for expansions:

1. Glux Rebels - Every player gets 3 dice that they roll at the beginning of the game, they can place them on their turn as opposed to picking a chip from the bag, these dice can also move through chips so they are considered rebels!

2. Glux Engineers - Every player gets a special ability pertaining to a numbered chip, for example if you choose to move 5 spaces you have the choice of moving in a straight line or in an L shape. Think Tetris style pieces to manipulate movement on the board.

3. Glux Converters - Every time you place a chip beside another players that is outside the scoring area's you place a translucent colored chip ontop of their to convert them to your color.

What do you all think? Am I crazy or Amazing? I design board game concepts for fun and have plans of one day pitching my ideas to companies! By all means Queen Games reach out to me to pick my brain!

Cheers,

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.