Popular Tags: [View All]
John Michalski
Belgium
Namur
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I am trying to find out how to play Parks... The only references I find to them are either in the scoring or in the event cards.

When built (with event cards as they cannot be built with MM), do they require presence or absence of ownership cubes on lots before they can be placed?

Are Parks owned, once placed?

Can Parks be destroyed by riots?

Can Parks be seized?

Thank you,

Jean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmichalski wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to find out how to play Parks... The only references I find to them are either in the scoring or in the event cards.

When built (with event cards as they cannot be built with MM), do they require presence or absence of ownership cubes on lots before they can be placed?

No, they extend a city grid but don't require ownership cubes.

Quote:

No, they provide bonuses to everyone

Quote:
Can Parks be destroyed by riots?

No

Quote:
Can Parks be seized?

Thank you,

Jean

No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Michalski
Belgium
Namur
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jason,

Thank you for your answers, they do make sense. How do you you "know" all this? Written in the rules? Deducted from the rules? Deducted from play?

One slight question mark subsists, i.e., can parks be placed over existing ownership cubes (thus earning 1VP/cube to their owner)? I suppose yes...

Thanks again,

Jean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Davis
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding riots and parks, the rulebook does state on Page 11 that "Any structure (including a Park) can be destroyed".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Michalski
Belgium
Namur
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drachetanzer wrote:
Regarding riots and parks, the rulebook does state on Page 11 that "Any structure (including a Park) can be destroyed".

Great catch, thank you! In which case I suppose the Neighborhood track gets decreased by 1...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lloyd
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 6, under "City Building: Building Placement", the rules state that, "Owned Lots indicate where any player can construct a building. The color of the cube is important as it indicates the player that receives a VP when someone builds on that Lot." The rules were intended to be generic to cover the building or placing of all buildings including Parks. I think the problem lies in the fact that we state "build" and the card events state "place". However, for all intents and purposes, building or placing any building/park on the game board will allow the player who controls any Ownership cubes to receive the VP.

On page 9, under "City Building: Playing an Event Card" we should have listed additional bullet points that mention both Civic Buildings and Parks. Or, simply mention that any building/park can be placed on a vacant lot when using a card for its Event.

jmichalski wrote:

All Special Buildings, besides Mansions, are not owned. We should have defined this more clearly under "Special Buildings & Parks", but the rule of thumb is that a player only owns buildings in their player color or lots that have one of their Ownership cubes on it.

jmichalski wrote:
Can Parks be seized?

On page 9, under "City Building: Seizing", it states, "Seizing a building means taking it from another player that already has ownership of it." The player aid lists which items can be seized although this should have also been stressed in the rulebook, as well. I would have added an (Important) line at the end of this section in the rules that stated, "Special Buildings, including parks, can never be seized."

Thank you for bringing up the questions. We had previously struggled with the terminology of building versus placing which was further complicated by the fact that it does not make sense to call a Park a building. However, in game terms, Parks act just like buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Michalski
Belgium
Namur
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Don,

Thanks a lot for all these clarifications.

Can you please confirm the Neighborhood track gets decreased when/if a Park gets destroyed?

Thank you,

Jean "John" Michalski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lloyd
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmichalski wrote:
Hi Don,

Thanks a lot for all these clarifications.

Can you please confirm the Neighborhood track gets decreased when/if a Park gets destroyed?

Thank you,

Jean "John" Michalski

Hi John!

I checked with the designer to make sure we were both on board the official response for this. We both agree that the Neighborhood track will not decrease if a Park is destroyed. Basically, the prestige of having the park built and that overall effect on the Neighborhood remains. The only thing that can lower a Prosperity Track is a card event.

Don

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Berent
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a related park question --- is there any restriction to which size park you choose to build when you play a card for them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lloyd
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Berentski wrote:
I have a related park question --- is there any restriction to which size park you choose to build when you play a card for them?

No there is no restriction, besides the park tokens available. When a player plays a card that allows them to build a Park then they select any Park token they like. There are some subtle tactics in deciding the size of the park and where you place it. That is why the game includes many different park sizes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Berent
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome --- thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.