Hello my fellow gamegeeks,
I've played a couple of scenarioś of Pathfinder ACG, and loving it. Although I am quite positive about the rulebook as it seems to answer most of the questions that arise during my plays, there are some situations in which I am not sure how to act. Any thoughts on the following?
1. I find the cards that add to die scores somewhat badly formulated. For example, blessing of the gods says "Discard this card to add 1 die to a check". Now I presume this does not mean do your roll with one extra die (whatever kind of die), but rather trow your dice and add 1 to the total. The latter seems to make sense but that is not what is says, or is it just my English (as a not native speaker)? and if I do get to add a die, which one?
2. When you die during adventure 5, do you start over with a new character with or without leveling up? If leveling up do you have to replay all the scenarios? If not, will your character not be to weak to play the last adventure?
3. It seems a scenario gets more difficult if you play with more players. There are more locations, but the same amount of blessings in the blessings deck. Is this balanced out somehow and if yes how? if no shouldn't it be?
4. On page 19 of the rulebook, it says that after a scenario you may add cards from the box to your deck when rebuilding and when you are short. These cards should be max 2 levels higher than your current adventure. Now, if you are at the end of an adventure, is this the one you just finished or the one you are about to start? And does this mean you'll never be able to complete your deck with adventure 5 and 6 cards (seems a waste)?
5. The power of the lightning touch card allows you to roll your arcana die +2d4 with the electricity trait when you discard it. If you don't have the arcana skill, you should bury it. Now, if I don't have the arcana skill, does this mean:
- If I don't have the arcana skill, i should bury the card as soon as I get it from my character or location deck?
- I can't play the card?
- I can play the card but should bury it rather than discard it when I activate it?
And if I can play it, which skill should I use? Mind that Arcana falls under intelligence for one, and wisdom for another character..
1. You add the die, no bonuses just the die.
2. You have it correct. Permanent death is harsh in this game.
3.It balances out, more opportunities to help others, sometimes there are two checks on one card, the player must defeat one, but he can have someone else at that location defeat the other. The game is probably hardest with One or Six and easiest with Three and Four.
4. Lower than current level not higher than. (one you just completed) You will acquire cards from level 5 and 6 when you play 5 and 6. You only do this if you are short, if you can legally build your deck from the cards you have you must.
5. The default die for any check is a D4. Technically Arcana is it's own skill, But the bonuses do stack so Arcana = Intelligence +1 stacks on Intelligence = D8 +2 to be Arcana = D8 +3 (if you play blessing of the Gods 2D8+3
I would recommend the guide in the files section. And try out the free APP to learn how to play.
1. you really add an extra die. If the kind is not specified, it is the one of the skill check you have chosen.
2. Too many discussions have happened about this point. It all boils down to: It is your game, do whatever you like.
3. With fewer players, you probably have to use your blessings to help with the skill checks your characters aren't strong in. With more players, you can put a character with a correct skill set on a location, but need to use those blessings mainly for extra explores. The game is pretty well balanced regarded to this.
4. The cards should be max 2 levels lower. I think you are confusing a few things. You can rebuild your deck with the cards you collected during the game. This can be even cards from adventure deck 5 or 6. When you have too few cards available, usually because you had to banish a lot of them, only then you can add extras from the box, but with the restriction that it needs to be 2 levels lower.
5. You can play the card, the effect of burying it is only happening when you play the card for it's ability. You can see it as a scroll, a one time use spell for non spell casters.
Kevin B. Smith
I strongly recommend the following to new players:
A Guide For New Players (for rules clarifications)
Rise of the Runelords Adventure Guide v1.68 (for story and flavor)
1. I find the cards that add to die
As others have said, add a die of the primary skill being used, but without bonuses.
2. When you die
Officially, that players is dead. Start a new one from scratch.
3. It seems a scenario gets more difficult if you play with more players.
At low counts, you have lots of time but low health and few abilities. At high counts, it's the opposite.
4. On page 19 of the rulebook, it says that after a scenario you may add cards from the box to your deck
You can keep any level card you acquire during a scenario. You won't ever get many cards from box 5 or 6 in your deck. On the bright side, it does improve replayability of the campaign as a whole.
5. The power of the lightning touch card
As others have said, you can keep the card, and use it. If you don't have arcane, it's a d4, and after that single use you will banish (not bury) it.
Ahhh that makes a lot of sense. Thanks people!