Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group played through about 2/3 of a full game before our spouses decided it was too late (we had spent about 8 hours, but a lot of that is because we were learning the game for the first time... and because one of us, who will remain nameless, had this really awful tendency of leaving the table or getting distracted with other things.....). Obviously, now that we know the game better, things will move more quickly (and, an easy tip to myself is "don't invite that guy again!").

Still, I'm wondering if any of your TI:3 veterans have tips that make the game move smoothly and briskly (relatively speaking). Perhaps even (dare I dream it?) within the 3 - 4 hours that the box claims??

Any advice on how to shorten game length without sacrificing depth would be appreciated. We really like this game, and we don't want to truncate the experience (it's a grand epic, and we like that about it). But, the box does say 3 - 4 hours, and if we could even get it down to 5 or 6 hours, that would be perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How many players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Empire variant (though some will claim this actually makes the game longer - not me), and play to fewer victory points. Giving each player two secret objective cards, and adding in the four artifacts, also helps. (Not sure which of these are base or expansion bits - sorry)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
How many players?

It was 5 last time. It may be 5 or 6 next weekend...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:
Age of Empire variant (though some will claim this actually makes the game longer - not me), and play to fewer victory points. Giving each player two secret objective cards, and adding in the four artifacts, also helps. (Not sure which of these are base or expansion bits - sorry)

We only have the base game, so I don't think there are any "artifacts", and I've never heard of the Age of Empires variant... but going to fewer points or giving out more secret objectives would be plausible ways to do it, I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Empire is described on page 33 of the rule book.

5 or 6 players? You're still probably looking at 6-8 hours, unfortunately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:
Age of Empire is described on page 33 of the rule book.

5 or 6 players? You're still probably looking at 6-8 hours, unfortunately.

Ok. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Castonguay
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Hello,

I've put together some ideas for speed-running based on lots of stuff I read (I admit they're MOSTLY not my ideas)

They are here: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/23191340#23191340

Some highlights:

Pre-made map with an auction for choosing where you sit
Awarding Trade Goods to people at the end of the round for being Significantly faster at playing than others
Simultaneous early turns (when applicable)
A "GO ITS YOUR TURN" and "YOUR ON DECK" guy (ideally the person who knows what's going on the most and isn't busy figuring his own stuff out)
Etc.

Also, I love playing this game, but frequently don't have time. I play for about an hour every week online using VASSAL so if we can get together to play, we just play from our house with mics, and if someone can't make it, we just move on with our day. It's an option. We try to do a round in an hour and a bit, getting back to strategy card selection for the final part so we know what will be happening on the upcoming turn, so we have a week to plan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also use Simulated Early Turns

see page 15 here

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Twilig...

I'm personally not a fan of this, but it definitely speeds a game up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure everyone has a handle on the rules and their own rules digest for quick reference. I made this one. The less time you spend thumbing through the rulebooks or debating things the faster it goes.

You can set a turn timer of 1 minute for deciding on an action (some will take longer to carry out, of course).

Also set a timer for trade negotiations and anything else that requires table discussion if you find them dragging. When players have an opportunity to play action cards, they should have to decide quickly. And so on. Keep the chatting to a minimum if you can.

And house rule that if someone keeps getting distracted and leaves the table like you had, they'll be forced to use their strategy cards and then pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
possum man
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pcaston2 wrote:

A "GO ITS YOUR TURN" and "YOUR ON DECK" guy (ideally the person who knows what's going on the most and isn't busy figuring his own stuff out)
Etc.

100% this is the most important thing. It's so easy to lose track of whose turn it is, get distracted, and suddenly it's been 5 mins since anyone's taken an action.
Is Dave building in his homesystem? Who cares exactly what, let the next guy start doing his turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first expansion introduces Artifacts and Special (green) Objectives.

Those help speed up the game.

With experienced players I usually quote P+1 hours. That excludes set up and clean up.

Don't do the setup of tiles beginning. Find a balanced map you like and go with that.

Beyond that, I variant the game so much additional advice wouldn't apply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starkiller
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4 hour game?
ha ha ha ha....laugh

This is unlikely, unless:

1)Every player knows the game very well (played it a couple times in the last year.)
2)you have almost no optional rules in
3)Everyone is committed to playing quickly
4)There is focused on the game
5)No AP players
6)only 4 players

However, a 6-7 hour game is not too hard to achieve. By your third game, that is. The first two will take longer just because....

1)Don't invite anyone who doesn't want to play.
2)Keep optional rules to a minimum.
3)Whenever someone gets to the production stage of their turn, the next guy should start his turn. (Unless the next player thinks what he buys will affect his turn; in that case, he can wait.) This is really effective, and very easy to do.
4)Someone really needs to be reminding whoever that their turn is next, and be thinking about what they are going to do.
And I hate to say this, because I think everyone should have the chance to play this game, but if you want to move quick:
5)Don't have more than one player who has not played before, preferably not even that. Everyone having played 4 times in the last year really helps speed things up. This is obviously not possible right off the bat...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first game (3 players) we actually finished in about three hours. You just really have to keep things moving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
#1 time saving measure -- parallelize turns as much as possible! In particular:

1. Secondary actions can usually all be done simultaneously.

2. If your turn is relatively independent of what others are doing (which happens more often than you might think, especially early game), and does not involve revealing any hidden information, then just do it before your actual turn! (Just be careful to do it in a way that is easy to roll back if necessary.) There is no reason to wait. When your turn actually comes, just briefly state what you did, and pass the turn to the next player.

3. If your turn does depend on what others will do with their turns, identify what the most likely scenarios would be, and what your moves would be in those scenarios. Do as much moving / organizing of bits in your bit stock area as possible to prepare your potential moves, so that when your turn comes, you are ready to execute without any further thought and minimal moving of bits.

4. If you are worried that by doing 1-3, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage because you are telegraphing your move, establish a gentleman's agreement not to "spy" on fellow players as they are engaging in 1-3. If everybody spends all of their time doing 1-3, that should leave no time to spy anyway!

[Edit: actually, these principles apply to almost any game.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lederer
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My tip sheet for faster play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.