Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chuck smith
United States
brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
In a game we played, a player raided an iron market on one turn, took two iron, and placed an enmity token there. The very next turn, he sold the iron back to the SAME market, for full value. There wasn't anything in RAW that stated there is a penalty for selling to a market that doesn't like you.

There IS a penalty when you buy goods in a region where you have enmity (page 11):

"Price at islands: When paying an island (for example, to buy goods),
add one gold to the price for each enmity of yours on the island."

But *no* corresponding rule that I expected like: "When selling at a market, subtract one gold from the price for each enmity token." I'm going to push for this as a house rule.

This seems to be way out of wack with the theme of enmity in the game.

1) Am I missing something? Is there a rule that addresses this?

2) Has anyone implemented my house rule above, or something better? a two gold penalty might be better - a 33% increase on the cost to buy matched by a 33% decrease on the price you sell at.

Thoughts?

-NYC Gamer Dad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You're not missing anything. From the designer's notes #4 (http://www.plaidhatgames.com/news/704)

"Although enmity affects the price of buying goods, it does not affect the price of selling goods at an island."

I don't think I'd mess with this myself. A market represents a place where these goods are in high demand, they presumably need the goods badly enough to pay.

(If it helps, pretend that the raiding player is ransoming much-needed goods back rather than trying to go through a legitimate market).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck smith
United States
brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
lactamaeon wrote:

(If it helps, pretend that the raiding player is ransoming much-needed goods back rather than trying to go through a legitimate market).

Well that's straight from the proverbial horse's mouth. So I guess in Seafall folks do negotiate with terrorists. I think the ransom thing sounds suitably piratical for me to suspend my misgivings.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By turn you mean year? You can't use locations with enmity tokens on them. They're moved to the garrison in winter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
taraba wrote:
By turn you mean year? You can't use locations with enmity tokens on them. They're moved to the garrison in winter.

I'm not sure this is true. The rules indicate that the site with enmity can't be *raided* again (until winter), but as far as I was able to find, only specific sites are impacted further than that: a raided field doesn't produce and a raided structure site can't be built on. I don't see anything about markets/docks/etc ... which actually surprises me. (When I saw your post, my response originally started out saying "Excellent point"...)

If I'm missing a rule, could you point it out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Strong-Morse
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I searched the rulebook pretty exhaustively, and I couldn't find anything that said that you can't trade at a market covered with an enmity token. This surprised me, but I agree that the rules permit it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

How did you take 2 iron when raiding?

You can buy two goods on island sites, but when raiding you can only plunder one good from that particular site

Am I wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You get 2 goods when raiding a market. It's stated very clearly in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

p. 19
Plunder
Market

missed it

thank you David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.