Nuno Santos
Portugal
S. Domingos Rana
Cascais
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I have Castle Panic, Defenders of Last Stand, Dawn of the Zeds, what are the things that sets this game apart from the above?

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean brown

Colorado
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AU is a very difficult game. The game wins 75% of the time. You are in dire straights from the opening turn, with many tough choices and not enough resources or turns to get your ship off the hostile planet. I love all of the games you have listed and find AU to be different, in that I never play feeling like I have the game in the bag, but always "can I hang on long enough" or "have I done enough". Teamwork is a must, no real "alpha" issue of someone telling everyone else the best move because the best move is very subjective in AU.

Full disclosure, I am biased, as I am publisher and Co-designer, but as a game fan, this is what attracted me to AU and why I enjoy it so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the mechanics:

The dice allocation system. You have to plan the whole turn in advance - it is very deep according to the planning because of that. But because of that this game can have the "alpha leader" problem. But most of coop games have that. I think it is much more of a gaming group problem.

And what sets it apart are the two winning conditions. According to what you find at which time dictates whether you wait for the rescue shuttle or to fly away for yourself.

This is very interesting. It like Richard´s approach of changing your own goals midgame (he did that in Arkham too).

AU is very special. You should check it out - but beware: The rulebook is kind of a mess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sean's summary isn't a million miles off the mark - despite his heavily biased starting point

The game is:
• brutal, one of the hardest co-ops that I own (and I own quite a few)
• subject to some painful luck-factor issues (if specific Aliens turn up early, you can probably give up and save some time, though there are some houserules to combat this effect), sometimes you just can't find what you need to get rescued or you find it very/too late.
• handicapped by a rulebook that is... not as good as one would like. There is an FAQ that goes somewhat toward addressing this, but there's a lot of squirliness in the rules (and I play Arhkam Horror!)
• improved by clipping the corners of the alien tokens to prevent them fraying (they are connected to the punch sheet at the corners! who does that?)

You really don't need any of the minis for the Aliens, unless you just want a painting project. They not only add nothing to the gameplay, they are hard to physically integrate into the game.

That being said, I do think that it's a very good game and that the dice-based shared action system is innovative and great fun, but it's a game that rewards multiple repeat plays - if you only bring it out two or three times a year you will always get crushed. If Richard and Sean decided to put out a second edition having learned from the experience of "1e", I for one would probably get a copy.

I have only played CP of those you reference and it totally doesn't compare to CP other than being a "tower defence co-op" (and I really like CP too). CP is card-driven with no player avatar on the board - it's quite "euro-y", AU is action-selection driven with player avatars and is waaaaay thematic.

(small disclaimer: I was the original curator of the Living FAQ here on BGG, but I have no commercial relationship with any of the entities involved in the publishing of AU - more's the pity )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Defenders of the last stand by the way. According to the difficulty I want to add that Last Stand is candy-land against AU.

And for this I really love it. One of the best coops out there (despite its flaws). The rulebook is really the biggest one.

And as mccrispy said: Avoid the minis. They really get in the way of the fun!!!

AU is Starship Troopers - The board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the FAQ is almost as long as the rulebook. The rules pages in the forums gives an indication into how messed up the rules really are. For me, that was the deal breaker. I do not have any special training into code breaking, or that sort so the game was packaged up and is now on the Jack Vasel Auction. I know there are people out there who will enjoy it, just not my group. (However, I do like that it is brutal. Too many coops are way too easy)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
it has been a while but I ave played three of the four games (Defenders is on the list to be played). I found Castle Panic to be boring, almost painfully so. I enjoyed Dawn of the Zeds, but cannot play more than two games before I need a break - So for me it is a great "filler" ga,e between solo games. I enjoy AU quite a bit, no reservations. It is the most complicated of the three I have played, but the variety of the enemies and units feels right to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.