Hide
4 Posts

Dark Souls: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Painting invaders with dip method rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Hartwell
msg tools
I spent about 8 years painting minatures for games and will paint my Dark Souls set. I've never used the dip method before, so I don't know how I should paint invaders - who I will make black with red outer areas.

I read to not use black stain. I bought some antique walnut and clear.

Should I paint the invaders black and red and cover them with antique walnut, clear or clear with a colored ink for durability? Is there a way to use dip to fill in the details without compromising the red color? If I'm adding ink, would I add black ink?

The summons will be easy - prime white and use clear with a little ink.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Larkus
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say paint them red and use ink + clear on them as well for red phantoms or black with a dry brush of red and some accentuated edges for black phantoms. Just need to be careful and don't darken them up too much. Maybe don't use ink, which might be too intense in color, instead just water down a tiny drop of black and red, slap it on and then clear coat them. Haven't done something like that myself, so I'm more or less quickly brainstorming how I can see it working.

However, although it may be Dark Souls, I refuse to paint my perfectly good minis in black/red and maybe even dip them in antique walnut. Doesn't matter to me how summons and invaders usually look. I'm going to paint them up normally and then give them color coded bases at best.
Just slapping together dual colored invaders/summons feels like a waste to me, and honestly also far too boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo Damo
msg tools
I'm also a mini painter for about 20 years now but I haven't done dipped before, but from what I've read, definitely undercoat and put a solid base coat on. Just be aware that the darker the dip, the more shade is applied to the base coat, so prepare accordingly. Personally, I'd be using a lighter shade of dip so I can go over any parts I deem necessary with an ink or wash.

Alternatively putting a solid base undercoat on and using a spray can or air brush to put highlights on is another method and probably the one that I'll use for ease of painting the invaders and phantoms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hartwell
msg tools
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice.

I still have months to change my mind, but I think I'm going to basecoat white, paint red and then use black ink and paint some flat areas place, then use a clear coat of dip - for durability and consistency - then matte varnish.

I might try experimenting with some textured chunks of plastic or old 40k pieces I never assembled. Then when I use these different approaches, I can determine which one is the most fitting to the black-wth-red-highlights Invader look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.