Popular Tags: [View All]
Fabian Bohlmann
Germany
Hamburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I like this game and I think it fits well in the line of games that came before it. But unlike Cyclades and Kemet Inis only supports four players at the first place. After I opened it's box the first time I was irritated not to find miniatures for a 5th player in it. Then I realised that it only is playable with four or less players. That was a small downer, because most of my gaming groups have more than four players and I never researched the game in depth before I bought it (it was an instand buy for me as soon as I knew that it was thought as a game out of the same family as Cyclades and Kemet). But I was able to test it with a full round and it was fun.
It was a looong game, too.It went so late that we had to end it with a draw.

Now I ask myself if it is even a good idea to pump Inis up to 5 or even 6 players with future expansions?
I am sure Matagot wants this game to get at least as epic as Kemet after it has been upgraded with Ta-Seti or even more just as they did with Cyclades.
I want that too. But to provide a continuous game and even balanced game they have to be careful. Who knows maybe we might even see some mystical creatures from Celtic legends on the board sometime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Barker
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't even thought about expansions yet, there's so many combinations and situations to explore in the base game.

I honestly don't know if I would like a player expansion for this game, like Blood Rage's 5th player expansion or Cyclades Titans. This game functions so tightly that another player might just push it over into a weird, plodding, unfun realm. Plus, they would have to add in additional Action cards that would need to be balanced against the others.

I don't even think I'd like a modular expansion, like Kemet's Ta-Seti or Cyclade's Hades. Adding on additional mechanisms on top of something so elegant could just squash its appeal.

I do, however, think a content expansion could be interesting, which isn't something I say often. By that I mean alternate Advantage Tile/Card sets to be mixed and matched together. If that was used as the outlet for different mechanisms, it would retain the core aspect of the game while allowing for experimentation. You could even use them to introduce new types of buildings or units, though I have no idea how you could stop that from going over the top.

Of course, this is absolutely just how I feel about it at the moment. I could be dead wrong about a modular expansion, my hesitation only comes from my experience with rarely being able to get such expansions to the table. I was absolutely wrong about Cyclades: Titans, that turned into my favorite version of Cyclades with the 2v2v2 setup. I was even very hesitant about Inis to begin with, I grabbed it based on my experience with Cyclades and Kemet but knew it would be a very different beast. So, my track record isn't that great. Perhaps what I think I want is very different from what I actually want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud MATAGOT
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

We have been thinking about expansion for a while (8 years development does that for a game, it leaves some ideas on the side). 5th player is one of them, but we have not started working real hard on the expansion.

To be honest, the game in our opinion is so demanding, it's so easy to miss it (Fair warning: I LOVE Inis to Death)... That we never expected it would gather wide interest and appeal. We were so worried about that we spent month trying to make it easier, but in the end nothing perfect came to us, only the easier set-up. YET, and in large part thanks to great reviewers, so many players got what we tried to achieve in so many ways, so many players enjoyed it as we do, and that made us all very happy. Anyway, now that there are enough people who seem to enjoy it we are looking at the expansion. It will be a lot of work and a lot of fun!

More news when we have some!

Have fun playing,
Arnaud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FPV
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Das Problem wrote:

It was a looong game, too.It went so late that we had to end it with a draw.

How long did the game take you? It's listed at 60 - 90 minutes. Is that an accurate estimate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian Bohlmann
Germany
Hamburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Arnaud,

with Inis you did a direct hit with me. To hear that you are developing it since 8 years and that you start working at an expansion hightens my little downer for it not being playable for more than four players. I am excited to hear there comes more in the future for it. But I never lacked any faith regarding this option in the first place. Cyclades is for sure not much more expandable and Kemet even less. There had to come something New and fresh for all the fans of these games to sink their teeth in. Inis is that game for me. It has so much potential for more. Can't wait to see what comes next.

Oh, the long round we played took us about 5 hours until we had to call it a day. We were four players and everybody wanted to win. It never got boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh
Das Problem wrote:
Hi Arnaud,

with Inis you did a direct hit with me. To hear that you are developing it since 8 years and that you start working at an expansion hightens my little downer for it not being playable for more than four players. I am excited to hear there comes more in the future for it. But I never lacked any faith regarding this option in the first place. Cyclades is for sure not much more expandable and Kemet even less. There had to come something New and fresh for all the fans of these games to sink their teeth in. Inis is that game for me. It has so much potential for more. Can't wait to see what comes next.

Oh, the long round we played took us about 5 hours until we had to call it a day. We were four players and everybody wanted to win. It never got boring.

Wow, I'm shocked that this game lasted 5 hours without an end. That's... terrible.

At any rate, Cyclades has another expansion in production.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in a similar position, except most of my gaming is with 6 players. Titans has been a good one for that. Here's to hoping Inis gets there someday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, 5 hours!
All I can say is... Never underestimate the deeds!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Bulhões
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
Hopefully this was a abnormal match, because 5 hours(even half of that) is too much time for this game.

Unfortunately, I fear these kind of matches will be common in two of my groups, where leader bashing and player checking are their specialty(we played 18 rounds of mare nostrum one month ago, leaving people sour about this wonderful game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coiote wrote:
Hopefully this was a abnormal match, because 5 hours(even half of that) is too much time for this game.

Unfortunately, I fear these kind of matches will be common in two of my groups, where leader bashing and player checking are their specialty(we played 18 rounds of mare nostrum one month ago, leaving people sour about this wonderful game).

Holy wow, 18 rounds!? Even if someone bought a hero/wonder every 3 rounds, which seems slow, it should have ended after 15! Err, sorry to derail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Bulhões
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
lot's of pillaging actions since turn one and a good leader/vice leader bashing from everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos López
msg tools
Inis looks fantastic, and I'd buy this game blindly if it supported 5 players, as we're usually more than 4 in my game group. But it doesn't, so I've been keeping an eye on it from the side, hoping some day you confirm an expansion for more players. Draft is usually one of the best mechanics to support high player counts anyway, so...laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Carlson
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Das Problem wrote:
Hi Arnaud,

I also had an excruciatingly long, yet tremondously fun game of Inis only to realize that we had missed the rule of Brenn breaking ties. Our game would have ended much sooner. Only person complaining was the fifth guy who showed up late =P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoann L.
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arnaud4matagot wrote:
To be honest, the game in our opinion is so demanding, it's so easy to miss it (Fair warning: I LOVE Inis to Death)... That we never expected it would gather wide interest and appeal. We were so worried about that we spent month trying to make it easier, but in the end nothing perfect came to us, only the easier set-up. YET, and in large part thanks to great reviewers, so many players got what we tried to achieve in so many ways, so many players enjoyed it as we do, and that made us all very happy.

Honestly in my opinion the game doesn't have half the success it deserves.

Inis is unique and original, but not everyone like this and that's why we have these unfair 10% of <5 ratings. Taking risks isn't always rewarding. In the meantime, standard euros like Terraforming Mars and A Feast for Odin (nothing against them) will sell 10 times more and have a much better average rating.

I would be a board game designer, I would dream to make something like Inis, but in the end I would do something like Terraforming Mars because I know it would have much more success. And that's why I really admire your work.

Congratulations to the Matagot team.
Et surtout, continuez comme ça
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.