Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

I have been looking at this version of the game for quite a while now. I really like most of the art and components, (although I'm not sure about Cubes vs meaples). I haven't played the game but it looks like a game that I might really like.
Problem is, I just seem to be on the fence about the rather hefty price tag. There are a lot of other, newer games with more "stuff" that are cheaper. I know that really doesn't mean anything, but it does make me pause about tossing down that much money for a board, cards and a few meaples.

Help me out here folks, is this game all hype or is it really worth the investment?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowsclassic wrote:
Help me out here folks, is this game all hype or is it really worth the investment?

This isn't hype, this is a 21 year old game. It is a modern classic and it has proven this undoubtedly.

It does what it does so well. I am very happy to own the Big Box edition. If you like area control this game is right up your alley, if you don't ignore it.

I'm really mind-boggled that this game came out 21 years ago, it flows so well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
El Grande is a fantastic game.

So your choice is either pay $70 for the new big box.

Or pay some higher amount, usually around $100, for an original copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No
find a cheaper old version, you dont even need the expansions or Decentennial
the old one also works better and looks better with the cubes and wooden castillo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say this is a play before buy. It is a FANTASTIC game; however the theme is super dry and it is pretty darned ugly. Also not all the expansions are really worth the trouble, and none of them are worth it if you only play the game a couple of times a year. The base game will suit you just fine for a great many plays.

I personally love the mini-meeples over abstract soul-sucking cubes but am severely disappointed at the lack of a visual update to the newer reprint and the box itself is easily a third bigger than it should be (and so fills more of a shelf than it needs to). I plan on putting it in a different box at some point. I'd also love to see this rethemed so I can get it to the table more-- it is the one game I might actually make printandplay a retheme myself.

Now if you are in a group of gamers that will pick great mechanisms over the look of a game every time; then get it. It's a very solid game and a real true classic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I'd buy it again if I had the choice. It's an amazing game. It's a classic that simply hasn't been replaced yet, in my opinion. The mechanics work so smoothly.

There are very few games I'd recommend over this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Brankov
Serbia
Novi Sad
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends. On many factors.
Right now in Serbia one game enjoyment unit is around $15. This game has about 5.5 enjoyment units. That will make it $82.5 per enjoyment total which 16% more than the retail price in US.
You have to add custom fees, cardboard price as secondary ingredients, the fact that we have right winged government though many will deny AND that El Grande has additional value when you yell it's name to unaware players who take forever to finish their turn.
Having said that, yeah, it's totally worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hsu

New York City
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
El Grande itself is worth $70, at least for me.

I've never played with the expansions.

So if you can find the base version for less than 70, get that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdiel Xordium
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowsclassic wrote:
There are a lot of other, newer games with more "stuff" that are cheaper.

And every single one is a pathetic mewling troglodyte compared to El Grande.

Keep in mind, when El Grande came out the trend was to design games to be as simple as possible--minimal rules, simple components, etc. El Grande is challenging because of the player interaction, not because of rule complexity. As such, it feels very different from more recently published "big" games.

I've owned two and played four different versions. I've also owned all previously available expansions. The Big Box is the best so far, but any version will do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, so many replies and so quickly! This game has definitely inspired some loyal fans.

With only one negative and so many praises I guess I have to add it to my shelf! Thanks to everyone for their comments, I'm ordering it right now, will pick it up tomorrow to hopefully get it to the table Friday night.

Man, my hesitation is gone and now I'm super excited and can't wait!

Edit: And ordered!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vorname nachname
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
Wow!
mbmbmbmbmb
I paid 36 € in Germany.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowsclassic wrote:
Wow, so many replies and so quickly! This game has definitely inspired some loyal fans.

With only one negative and so many praises I guess I have to add it to my shelf! Thanks to everyone for their comments, I'm ordering it right now, will pick it up tomorrow to hopefully get it to the table Friday night.

Posting it in the El Grande forums probably stacks the deck heavily in favor, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Greaves
United States
SALEM
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a great game, but I'd track down an original copy if possible. The cubes are way better than the meeples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:
shadowsclassic wrote:

Posting it in the El Grande forums probably stacks the deck heavily in favor, though.

Probably, but if I had posted it anywhere else I would have just been told to post it in the El Grande list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rarnom wrote:
It's a great game, but I'd track down an original copy if possible. The cubes are way better than the meeples.

Yes, I'm on the fence about which I like better cubes or meeples. However, as others have said, I have enough cubes laying around I can just swap out after a little re-painting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.