Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edu Avalon
Guatemala
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi,
I have a few questions about tiles and exploration:
During the exploration phase if I do not discard any tile I pick one tile. What happen if, for example, the "planet area" is empty or if both areas areas are empty? Should I still pick one tile (even if I not discarding any one) or should I pick 2 (if one area is empty) or 3 (if both areas are empty)?
Is it relevant if I have for example 4 tiles in the development area and none in the planet area?
Is it possible to move one of my tiles in the development area to the planet area (and returning it) and viceversa?

Thanks in advance for your answers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goulding
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edugon wrote:
Hi,
I have a few questions about tiles and exploration:
During the exploration phase if I do not discard any tile I pick one tile. What happen if, for example, the "planet area" is empty or if both areas areas are empty? Should I still pick one tile (even if I not discarding any one) or should I pick 2 (if one area is empty) or 3 (if both areas are empty)?
Is it relevant if I have for example 4 tiles in the development area and none in the planet area?
Is it possible to move one of my tiles in the development area to the planet area (and returning it) and viceversa?

Thanks in advance for your answers

You draw X+1 tiles from the bag, where X is the number of tiles you have discarded from your Settle or Development stacks. Discard no tiles, you draw 1. Discard 3, you draw 4. The discarded tiles go back into the bag and the end of the Exploration phase after everyone has finished using their Explorers.

Where the tiles are is irrelevant. You do not get any extra draws for having empty stacks. If you have empty stacks and you cannot discard any tiles then your only option is to draw one tile.

You can discard tiles from either or both stacks.

You can't move tiles between the stacks. The Settle stack is ONLY for planets (round icons) and the development stack is ONLY for developments (diamond icons).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You draw X+1 tiles. X is the number of tiles you abandoned, this number can be anywhere between 0 and infinity.

The planet and development stack do not matter. It does not matter how many tiles you have in either of them.

If you abandon 0 tiles you will draw 1 tile.
If you abandon 1 tile you will draw 2 tiles.
If you abandon 2 tiles you will draw 3 tiles, and so forth.

Also, remember that you add the new tiles, in any order, to the bottom of their stacks, not on top.

Once a tile is in a stack it cannot move at all. It can only be abandoned in a future explore round or be completed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
The number of tiles you have on your mat is irrelevant. You choose to discard any number of those tiles (including zero) and then draw one more than that number. That's it.

You can't move tiles from development to world or vice-versa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compton
United States
Rochester Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it true that you should decide on each tile, when you draw it, into which stack you will add it, one drawn tile at a time? Or can you draw out the number of tiles you want and then decide on all 3 of them simultaneously?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Mulder69 wrote:
Is it true that you should decide on each tile, when you draw it, into which stack you will add it, one drawn tile at a time? Or can you draw out the number of tiles you [entitled to] and then decide on all 3 of them simultaneously?

Simultaneously. Each explorer performs their task one at a time, but you deal with all the tiles from a given Explore:Scout task all at once.

From the Explore: Scout rules, page 5: "Draw 1 or more tiles from the bag and examine them. Then, *in any order*, choose whether each tile will be a development or world and put it under its construction zone stack." (emphasis added)

If you look at the example on page 5, showing three successive Scout tasks, you can see multiple tiles going into the construction zones in different orders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play you can look at all three at the same time and that way make your choices based on priorities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edu Avalon
Guatemala
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks to all. Now it is clear. We have been playing it wrongly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mulder69 wrote:
Is it true that you should decide on each tile, when you draw it, into which stack you will add it, one drawn tile at a time? Or can you draw out the number of tiles you want and then decide on all 3 of them simultaneously?

it depends where the 3 tiles are coming from. If you are moving one Explore die to your citizenry, and discarding two tiles from your Develop/Settle stacks, then you draw all three, look at them, and place them on the bottom of the stacks of your choice in the order of your choice.

However, if you are moving three Explore dice to your citizenry and not discarding anything from your Develop/Settle stacks, then you draw one tile at a time, deciding on that tile's fate before moving another die and drawing another tile. Note that in this case you could discard the drawn tile to get an additional tile with your next die.

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Blanchard
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
I Wonder If There's Beer On The Sun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mulder69 wrote:

The rules state that for each die that you use to do an explore action, you can draw your X+1 tiles all at once, decide on them and stack them in any order you want (under the tiles already in your work zone). However, you must use 1 die action at a time if you're using more than 1 die to explore.

So if you use 1 die to draw 3 tiles because you discarded 2, you can put them in any order that you want.

If you use 3 dice to draw 3 tiles, you can't put them in any order you want. You need to draw them 1 at a time and must place them under each other in the order that you drew them. You will generally draw 1, decide & place it somewhere, then draw your 2nd, place it somewhere. Repeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Blanchard
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
I Wonder If There's Beer On The Sun.
mbmbmbmbmb
drathbun wrote:
We play you can look at all three at the same time and that way make your choices based on priorities.

If you're getting those 3 tiles because you used 3 dice, then you're definitely not following the rules of the game. You only get to draw multiple tiles at once and choose their stacking order if it's the result of having discarded tiles (X+1).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eNonsense wrote:
drathbun wrote:

If you're getting those 3 tiles because you used 3 dice, then you're definitely not following the rules of the game.

Oops! Not the first time we've messed up. Thanks for the clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys, reread the designer's answer. It would seem many are playing this wrong.

Tom Lehmann wrote:
Mulder69 wrote:
Is it true that you should decide on each tile, when you draw it, into which stack you will add it, one drawn tile at a time? Or can you draw out the number of tiles you [entitled to] and then decide on all 3 of them simultaneously?

Simultaneously. Each explorer performs their task one at a time, but you deal with all the tiles from a given Explore:Scout task all at once.

From the Explore: Scout rules, page 5: "Draw 1 or more tiles from the bag and examine them. Then, *in any order*, choose whether each tile will be a development or world and put it under its construction zone stack." (emphasis added)

If you look at the example on page 5, showing three successive Scout tasks, you can see multiple tiles going into the construction zones in different orders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.