Popular Tags: [View All]
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
I understand that some folks will want to give separate ratings for different aspects of FFG like customer service vs game products vs product delivery vs etc.....so please feel free to comment with details.
What is your "overall/general" opinion about FFG?
I very much like FFG
I like FFG
I could take or leave FFG (whatever)
I don't like FFG
I very much dislike FFG
I am unable to give a general opinion about FFG because there are so many facets for me to consider.
I think they need to include with every game a coupon for a free pound of bacon.
      520 answers
Poll created by killerjoe1962

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like some of their games. Not interested in others. Like a lot of companies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
Like some of their games. Not interested in others. Like a lot of companies.

Pretty much this. Their games that I own I like for both the game play itself and the overall production value. I haven't needed to contact customer service or purchased direct, so cannot comment on those aspects of the business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I neither like or dislike most companies, I like or dislike their products (this is the case with FFG).

For me to dislike a company they have to do something as a corporate entity I find unlikable (or have a rally sterling record at producing dross).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Gergotz
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I'm not really big on them. I only own a few games from them - Samurai, Tigris & Euphrates, and Age of War - which all happen to be Knizia games. I couldn't care less about many of their other games, but I'll admit that they do have good quality components in their games. And their card sleeves are the best on the market in my opinion.

All in all, I voted that I was whatever on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
While I like other games and my collection is pretty diverse, FFG is the only company that gets me to click their website once a day to see what is coming out.

They produce for me:
- Boardgames in general that I like.
- Miniature games that I like (Battlelore 2)
- Dice games that I play with others regularly (Age of War)

THEN, I am one of those guys who likes both Lovecraftian Horror AND Star Wars.

- Elder Sign
- Mansions of Madness
- Eldritch Horror (All of which I play with my wife.)

- X-wing
- Armada
- Rebellion (All of which I play with my best friend.)

People bitch that they produce stuff too fast (I also like GF9, but SLOW), but when they slow down on supporting a game (Battlelore 2) threads pop up about how the game is now "dead".

So, yes. Very happy with them, spend lots of $$$ on their stuff and demand seems to be there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like most of their LCGs (Netrunner being the notable exception, I can't stand that game), but as a Magic player of 20 years, I am somehow past the point where I want to invest that much time in a single game to get the most fun out of it. Also, it's very hard to find other dedicated players for them.

I don't care much for their boardgames as I am more into mechanics than chrome. Sure, I have fun when I play Descent or Imperial Assault, but I could easily live without them.

But I have to compliment them on their marketing. The professionalism of their previews or how-to-play-videos is unparalleled in the board gaming industry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like FFG this much.

* holds hands somewhat apart *
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Massey
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
'I think they need to include with every game a coupon for a free pound of bacon'

But it would have to be redeemed from your friendlylocalgamestore yuk
Why? Because that's the way they want it !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Myers
United States
Plymouth
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went through my games recently and I realized that about 85% of them are from FFG.

So I guess I like them quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like some of their games, but the majority I could care less about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
flag msg tools
I do like FFG as a company, as well as the games they produce.

Being active on the FFG forums, I've always appreciated their quick customer service (of which I've only had to avail myself twice) and I've always appreciated how they are clearly paying attention to the fans, because ideas suggested in the forums often become reality - subject to certain alterations to make them feasible, of course. In short, they really listen.

I haven't bought too many FFG games lately. I cooled on the idea of chasing forever-expanding games a couple of years ago, and turned my attention to other companies when it because clear that (most) every product I'm interested in from FFG is also an expansion machine. That being said, I still enjoy the games of theirs which I own, and I remain active in those forums to this day. I may not agree to partake in their established business model anymore, but I don't begrudge them for using it.

I worry sometimes about how the merger with Asmodee may affect FFG. I've heard stories to suggest their customer service has taken a turn for the worse in recent years, although I haven't had to ask for help myself since the merger.

I wish them well in their pursuits. I only purchase games from them very selectively these days, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does "like" imply that you're willing to buy them, or does simply having interest in playing them sufficient? The last thing from them I deemed worth buying was the Daybreak Expansion for Battlestar Galactica.

Otherwise, I like playing X-Wing, their lovecraft series of games, etc., but I'm not willing to spend $$ on those. I'll play if others let me use their copies though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like them a lot but the amount of expansions can get a bit too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they only produced The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game then I'd like them, all the rest is gravy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i appreciate what they do for the industry, but their games are way too overproduced.

Look at their LCG card faces: seems like their graphic designer wanted to use as many features in Photoshop as possible to design them.

Also, look at their reprints of Tigris & Euphrates and Ra. The previous versions actually looked like ancient games played by kings and pharaohs. The new versions look like crap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iori Yagami
Latvia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, lots of artwork is nice. Dim printing is baaaad.
Not having inserts - is just wrong.
Prices, as everywhere else are steep, but maybe it's just my part of the world.
No opinion on plastic bits. It seems they're good, but I don't care much.
I quite liked their awesome Netrunner book. Good job!
I am still bitter about killing off Call of Cthulhu LCG and not releasing all hard to find packs as POD, and annoyed somewhat to overall sloppiness (gazillion of erratas, typos, that sort of stuff).
The actual game engines... I dunno I see a lot of rehashes, dice rollers, pretty much average game stuff. No new types of game inventing geniuses, but no mess either.
Their graphical updated remakes are a matter of opinion - purist will like their 'classic' Tigris and Euphrates, others will liked the newer one.
Pretty standard 'follow the popular trend and deliver on it' company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
They've done Star Wars justice (alright a couple issues with scale but hey, we've never had it this good.)

I suppose they've also sorted me out with replacement pieces when I've received broken one but that's a late second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Ips
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like the company and what they have done for the hobby.

Usually they don't make my type of games, but a lot of them are still very well made

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poorly-written rules, too quick on expansions, not listening to fans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally speaking I think they are in the top 1/2 of companies when it comes to game design and the top 10% when it comes to component coolness/prettiness/quality. So for that I look upon them favorably. However, I hear FFG is unkind to its employees, and I do not appreciate Asmodee's vertical price control scheme. So for those I look upon them less favorably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zigi Hogan
United States
The Ozarks
Missouri
flag msg tools
What's it going to be then, eh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Having now played several of his games I am becoming quite the Corey Konieczka fanboy...and I'm a wargamer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like FFG. I like and/or am quite interested in a fair number of their games although certainly not everything they make. I do feel they have a very unfortunate tendency to screw around a tad too much with the rules and gameplay of older games they acquire to reprint newer editions of. Sometimes, if it's not broke, don't fix it; just reprint it with some awesome newer components, all shiny and chrome! However, with that said, of all the game companies out there right now their games are far, far more likely to show up on my cool factor radar than a lot of the other chaff floating around out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like FFG, generally speaking. Many of the best games in my collection are or have been published by them. They know how to recognize talented designs, they know how to produce quality games and they seem to acknowledge that their customers matter. They are one of the benchmark publishers in the industry as far as I'm concerned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of their games are not my cup of tea. But the component quality of many FF games is quite subpar. The linen surface on their cardboard chits and boxes has a thin matte finish that is much more scuff prone than finishes used by other companies. The artwork on FFG cards wears off much too fast. Hence the need for FFG sleeves. Go figure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.