Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sauce
United States
West Chester
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have compiled a list of rules that were either vague or downright intuitive/explicit for 1 or all members of my gaming party. We have looked for an FAQ or questions that covers these but cannot find them. Some of these may have been "answered" but not 100% directly.

"Normal" Spoilers (Game 3+)
Spoiler (click to reveal)

1. For the island that adds its garrison value to all endeavors, does that include your enmity? IE. if I have 2 enmity and I try to explore a land site, does it take away 2 dice or 4 (since the default garrison is 2)?

"Major" Spoilers (Game 7+)

2. Does a port remove all Damage cards, including curses (technically a damage card)?
3. Can I use a research card that gives me 2 successes at a land site, in a Tomb Exploration? (So is a tomb considered a “land site”).
4. Can inactive colonies be conquered?
5. If you attack Ker (not controlled by a player), take damage, but don’t sink, do all of the following things happen: Gain a glory for successful endeavor, add no enmity to anything, gain no plunder.

As an aside. After finishing 7 games of this, we have reached winter maybe 3-4 times total (excluding initial winter ofc). Meaning we ended the game in 6 rounds or less, most of the time, and we ended it in under 8 game rounds every single time. Is that what others are experiencing??? Games seem super short.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tallyst wrote:
"Normal" Spoilers (Game 3+)
1. For the island that adds its garrison value to all endeavors, does that include your enmity? IE. if I have 2 enmity and I try to explore a land site, does it take away 2 dice or 4 (since the default garrison is 2)?

I would say no. While enmity acts as though it increases garrison, it doesn't actually increase garrison, by my read. In all places where garrison effects are mentioned, enmity is mentioned separately.

Quote:
As an aside. After finishing 7 games of this, we have reached winter maybe 3-4 times total (excluding initial winter ofc). Meaning we ended the game in 6 rounds or less, most of the time, and we ended it in under 8 game rounds every single time. Is that what others are experiencing??? Games seem super short.

We're earlier in the campaign, but games are much shorter than I expected them to be. I would say we are generally seeing 8 turn games. (Never less than a year -- after the prologue, of course.) That's a lot less that the "between two and three years" I was expecting from comments by the designers (but also a bit longer than you're experiencing).
(minor spoiler not related to any particular unlock)
There are a LOT more ways to get a pile of points than I thought there would be!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Garrison is not enmity. This doesn't seem at all unclear.

2. Apparently not. This is poorly phrased but I think references to "damage cards" don't include curses unless specifically included.

3. Yes, a tomb is a land site.

4. No idea about conquering inactive colonies. I would guess so, but who knows.

5. I wouldn't call it a "successful" endeavor if you attack Ker and fail to conquer it, but again who knows. The rules for attacking Ker are hopelessly unclear, imho. I'm quite frustrated by that actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tallyst wrote:

2. Does a port remove all Damage cards, including curses (technically a damage card)?
3. Can I use a research card that gives me 2 successes at a land site, in a Tomb Exploration? (So is a tomb considered a “land site”).
4. Can inactive colonies be conquered?
5. If you attack Ker (not controlled by a player), take damage, but don’t sink, do all of the following things happen: Gain a glory for successful endeavor, add no enmity to anything, gain no plunder.

Our games have never hit a 3rd winter. About 8-9 turns is what we get. A few went 5 or 6, one went to 10 or 11.

2) Curses say on the card how you can get rid of them. They don't get removed by a repair action at a port.
3) Yes
4) I agree with David
5) I would say yes. If you successfully raided them you get a glory. You don't have to "declare" that you are attempting to conquer OR raid them. You just carry out a raid endeavor on the colony and if you take no damage you conquer them. If you do take damage and don't sink, you've still successfully raided.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sauce
United States
West Chester
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For #3,
Does it mean that you can add successes to a Tomb "exploration" even when the "endeavor" calls for a "sail endeavor"?

I don't have the game on me, but the original research cards for land seem to say something like for exploration endeavors at land sites or some such jazz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clarence
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tallyst wrote:

We just finish (4p) game 9. Open all 5 box.
our game only reach the 3rd winter once.

it usually end around 7 to 10 turn.
and our game only last slightly more than 1 hour each. After game 9. I think we only clock like 12 hour playtime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whipko wrote:
our game only last slightly more than 1 hour each. After game 9. I think we only clock like 12 hour playtime.

That seems blisteringly fast. Our 3 player games have never taken less than 2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clarence
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Temelin wrote:
whipko wrote:
our game only last slightly more than 1 hour each. After game 9. I think we only clock like 12 hour playtime.

That seems blisteringly fast. Our 3 player games have never taken less than 2 hours.

Yeah. Our turn tend to overlap each other. While the explorer player reading his text and making his decision. The raiding player start to roll his dice for his land site. The trading player is calculating his buying and selling of goods.

We also don't read out loud the text in the captain book. We choose the path and take the rewards. We don't have much AP choosing the advisor too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sauce
United States
West Chester
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not going to lie, that sounds like you are removing a lot of the experience of the game. I hope you guys had fun?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clarence
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tallyst wrote:
Not going to lie, that sounds like you are removing a lot of the experience of the game. I hope you guys had fun?

Yes. Other than the milestone that unlock box. Most of the storyline and text are around the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.