UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the 2 player rules, each location is restricted to two spots. Therefore, it made little sense to risk one of the few workers to try to go to any location twice. Line up as many trick preparations and performances, and then it was over. I chose not to use a level 16 trick, because it seemed to me that it wouldn't be worth the risk/time needed with so few rounds.

Am I correct that the higher level tricks just give 2(3 in expansion) fame per link and maybe slightly higher trick performance awards?

I am considering playing the game again with the dark alley expansion, without adding in the cards from the extra box's expansion. I am concerned, however, with the added luck of the prophecies and their manipulations. I have read here that they can make the game swingy, especially with one of the magician's powers.

I guess my basic complaint was that the manual made things difficult, but the actual game was kind of limited and straightforward, with not much bang for the time required. Does dark alley open the game up? Do prophecies or the cards from the extra box's expansion make the game too luck based? I highly prefer no to low luck games.

What do you guys think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark Alley is the game. Playing without it is pointless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play Dark Alley with Duel of the Magicians and Magician Powers 95% of the time. Our games are typically close, with scores a bit above 100. The nice thing about Dark Alley is that the two extra turns really let you get your trick engine running and allow you enough time to get the level 36 tricks. Those are definitely worth aiming for, as the end game bonuses they provide are quite lucrative.

You're right that the level 16 tricks only give 1 more fame per link, but the higher rewards add up to a big difference. I often start with 2 base level tricks and will plan for a level 16 trick using as many of the same materials, leading to 2 level 36 tricks also using the same materials. To pull that off, you really do need to plan out your income and purchasing strategies from the get-go. It's a lot to think about and often provides a huge brain burn for me.

The prophecies aren't quite as luck based as a lot of people make them out to be. You can see them coming 3 turns ahead. It's really all about planning ahead for them.

The addition of special assignment cards can also really change things up, giving you even more use out of your limited workers. They're worth going for early and add much needed flexibility at 2p.

Adding in the Magician Powers will also give you more options, and make trickerion shards much more interesting. You get to draw 12 and keep 8, meaning you have a pretty good selection to start with. I've never drawn a hand and felt I was screwed from bad magician powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO I think the game is only great with dark ally and magician powers. Dunno where luck based comes in, I haven't heard that. And I certainly don't think that. I do think they are not created all equal however, and a draft of some sort is probably better than the rules for them as written.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Morris
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
kelann08 wrote:
Dark Alley is the game. Playing without it is pointless.

Agreed. The base game is good for learning, but it really shines once you add in the Dark Alley. I haven't actually played with the Magician Powers yet but I didn't find the prophecies added much luck. You do have some control over which one will be active next round, which is nice.

But seriously...add in the Dark Alley cards. If you don't like it after that then it's not the game for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brusky
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game's designers will tell you that the basic game should only be played to learn the rules, and that the desired gameplay experience is with Dark Alley.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Péter
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
apegamer wrote:
The game's designers will tell you that the basic game should only be played to learn the rules, and that the desired gameplay experience is with Dark Alley.

Indeed - the base game is good to get acquainted with the basic rules and mechanics, and while I've seen a few groups who haven't moved on to the Dark Alley at all, for seasoned gamers I'd suggest doing so after 1-2 plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am just curious, what do you guys think about the fact that there are only 2 spots in each location in a 2 player game? It means that it is a large risk to try to go to any location twice. This is not often the case in other 2 player worker placements, and was especially noticeable here because everything is preprepared(guessed).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
I am just curious, what do you guys think about the fact that there are only 2 spots in each location in a 2 player game? It means that it is a large risk to try to go to any location twice. This is not often the case in other 2 player worker placements, and was especially noticeable here because everything is preprepared(guessed).

I've rarely seen anyone send more than one worker to a location other than their workshop or theatre. Plus in a 3 player game there are only 3 spots at each location and 4 spots for 4 player games. So it's still risky sending more than 1 worker to a location at those player counts as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dhc3po wrote:
shadow9d9 wrote:

I've rarely seen anyone send more than one worker to a location other than their workshop or theatre. Plus in a 3 player game there are only 3 spots at each location and 4 spots for 4 player games. So it's still risky sending more than 1 worker to a location at those player counts as well.

Isn't that odd though for a worker placement? It isn't much of a worker placement. It is almost more of a race to each location once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
dhc3po wrote:
shadow9d9 wrote:

Isn't that odd though for a worker placement? It isn't much of a worker placement. It is almost more of a race to each location once.

I'm sure many worker placements only have one worker go to a given location once per round. Dungeon Lords guarantees you'll only send one worker to each action each round. Tzolkein allows you to send more, but makes it extremely costly. What worker placement games do expect you to regularly send multiple workers to the same space each round?

And in Trickerion, most rounds you'll still want to send more workers than you have- you want someone to go Downtown to get a new worker or a new trick, you'll want someone to go to Market Row to buy components or order some for next round, you'll want someone in your workshop preparing your tricks, you'll want at least one person in the Theatre and usually two or three. You won't have enough workers. And worse, you'll want all of these workers to be in the first slot and for each to be your best worker because you need actions for everything.

And you can always choose to take the risk of sending two workers to the same public non-Theatre location. If you prioritize both those workers, you'll only fail to send the second if every other player has sent a worker there and all of them choose to jump on it before you get to your second worker. At which point, well, you've stopped any of them grabbing the best spots in the other locations, so you get a better use from each of your other characters AND you don't even have to pay the worker you didn't get to send!

Are those sorts of decisions and interactive player effects and consequences not the beating heart of all worker placement games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.