United States
Strongsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
Richard Harrow RIP
badge
Richard Harrow RIP
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of those games that would have been an automatic buy along with the 7 Wonders Duel expansion that was just released today. But the tiny online discounts have really curbed my game spending this year. I went through my game purchases this year. I have only spent $340 so far on games in 2016 as opposed to $2800 last year. This year's number includes the $75 I spent on Mechs vs Minions which if you look at from a production to price standpoint shows just how overpriced FFG and Asmodee games are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meanwhile FFG sales at my local store have skyrocketed. Showing their business plan is working.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Zephro
United States
Aptos
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
Meanwhile FFG sales at my local store have skyrocketed. Showing their business plan is working.

Amen!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Bowers
United States
Strongsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
Richard Harrow RIP
badge
Richard Harrow RIP
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:

I have spoken to the owners of 3 stores in my area and they have told me sales are flat. All 3 of the stores have ancient XWing product collecting thick dust on their shelves and have deeply discounted LCG packs (other than Netrunner). I only buy Netrunner products at my local store because that is where I play it. Every single other purchase of mine this year has been from online sellers. I know at least one other person that is doing the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Due to limited online discounting, I'm more likely to buy FFG stuff at the stores where I game; this may make their products look better to the stores. OTOH, Asmodee prices in general don't have the same price issues in Canada because their US policies would be illegal (they use weasel-words to explain why 'Asmodee North America' policies only apply to the US). Lion Rampant has a distribution monopoly on FFG products in Canada and have long enacted policies that would incur serious penalties if there were a way to prove harm.

As long as they are selling 'must-have' games, they are cutting into the profits of other companies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Bowers
United States
Strongsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
Richard Harrow RIP
badge
Richard Harrow RIP
mbmbmbmbmb
mlvanbie wrote:
Due to limited online discounting, I'm more likely to buy FFG stuff at the stores where I game

This has had the exact opposite effect on me and people I game with. We now buy all of our games online to get every discount we can (5% coolstuff + saving 8% tax) to offset the increase in prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Topdecker577 wrote:
mlvanbie wrote:
Due to limited online discounting, I'm more likely to buy FFG stuff at the stores where I game

This has had the exact opposite effect on me and people I game with. We now buy all of our games online to get every discount we can (5% coolstuff + saving 8% tax) to offset the increase in prices.

What increase in price? Discounts are lower online, nothing went up in price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Topdecker577 wrote:
mlvanbie wrote:

If I have a budget to spend and felt that 50% should go to the stores that I gamed at and I have these options

Store Sale Credit CSI* BGB

FFG 100% 100% 88% 81% 90%
Asmod 100% 80% 81% 75%
Other 100% 80% 88% 63% 67%

*: I have a 5% discount at CSI. I also usually end up paying the same rate of tax all the time, but sometimes I might be able to save tax when importing games from CSI. I have store credit that is most conveniently available converted into FFG products, but could be used to get many non-Asmodee games.

My in-store games should have this preference when there is a no sale:

FFG, Asmodee, other

When there is a sale:

Asmodee, FFG, other

When buying online I should get Asmodee products from BoardGameBliss and others from CSI. Incidentally, BGB has good shipping deals to the US....

The end result is that all of my FFG purchases will come from local stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
Topdecker577 wrote:
mlvanbie wrote:

What increase in price? Discounts are lower online, nothing went up in price.

What are you talking about? The prices at CSI went up!

Oh, you meant MSRP.

It's fun to be pedantic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Topdecker577 wrote:
This year's number includes the $75 I spent on Mechs vs Minions which if you look at from a production to price standpoint shows just how overpriced FFG and Asmodee games are.

I disagree with this assessment. This has also been cited against other game producers. However, Riot have clearly stated that this is a homage to the board game community and they are not looking to make a significant profit. Riot's turnover is larger than the entire Hobby games market, and they are printing 30,000 copies which brings down the unit price when compared to the more modest runs of hobby board game compani, typically 1,000 to 10,000 units. Finally, Riot has gone down a specific path and that is don't involve distributors and don't sell through other companies either online or offline. So that takes two further companies out of the equation, that would otherwise be making a profit. This final fact alone could easily double the price of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff C
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
The pen is mightier than a really small, blunt, and foam covered sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.