Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Halfway Through Campaign, Too Easy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Kuch
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I've played through 5 of the 10 scenarios so far. I've played all 5 with 4 players, and replayed two scenarios with 2p and one scenario with 3p.

So far, I have been seriously satisfied with my purchase, but did want to ask - does the first playthrough seem pretty easy for anyone else?

So far, we have gotten "close" to losing (ie, would have lost within one or two turns), but I have never really felt like we were ever in danger of losing. Part of that may be that several of the scenarios we played the first half of the game without a timer (since they were with new players).

I know the easy mode is for younger children, and would definitely never recommend that adults play through any scenario with the "easy" mode. It just seems too easy.

I will also admit that I am a relatively seasoned gamer who has played programmable movement games, and enjoys them. Experience in such things may also play a significant role in my perfect win record

I am definitely looking forward to finishing the campaign and learning how to make the campaigns harder! I will also say that although they have all been pretty easy, the scenarios that I replayed, I still enjoyed playing the game. I enjoyed the card selections, deciding where in the command line to put the cards, and still very satisfying killing minions! It's just such a great feeling, running them over or blasting them with weapons...

At any rate, how about you? Have you lost any games yet? Are you or do you play with gamers, or are you new to the gaming world? Do you artificially make the game easier/harder?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See also:
About halfway through the campaign and it feels a bit easy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking it really depends on skill level with this type of game, possibly number of players, and then luck of the draw.

I've only played solo with two mechs. I won the first time I played Mission 1. Instead of moving on, I played 1 again. Although close on one occasion, I lost two games in a row. Admittedly I'm not very good at program games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Morales
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
We had issue with two missions the one with minions attacking school and the one that you had to get the bomb on the repair pads. All the other missions we got through on the first try. It all came down to strategy in the end.

There where a few we won with a bit of luck could have gone either one. One boss mission we killed him just as he got to charge up his weapon.

BTW I don't recommend you start with pushing the bomb on the repair pad mission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Tiras
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
That's very interesting feedback! Can you help me understand why not? I'd really appreciate it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick Ernst
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very curious to see if the second half seems too easy as well. We had a number of playtest teams that failed 50% or more of their missions. So there is definitely some variance.

I wonder if the second half is as trying as we thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RiotFpMcgee wrote:
That's very interesting feedback! Can you help me understand why not? I'd really appreciate it!

I'm guessing that he means that he wouldn't recommend pushing it right from the outset because it's better to setup a bit and formulate a plan with command cards first. Pushing in and of itself isn't bad, but you have to be smart about it. We had two players clearing a path while another pushed it forward into place. It worked great, but we had to setup for it first....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, the early missions don't have very aggressive time pressure (or other global timers). So it's wise to take a few rounds at the beginning and buff up your mechs before mixing it up. This is especially true for Mission #2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael T
msg tools
Through Scenario 3 (having massive fun!) and was wondering whether we are:
a) Good
b) Lucky
c) Not following the rules
d) Still ramping up in difficulty

In favor of argument (a), we are experienced players, particularly with RoboRally.
In favor of argument (b), we rolled Red on Scenario 2 more than 25% of the time and drew well for the Boss in Scenario 3.
In favor of argument (c), there are a lot of subtleties to the rules that are presented in the scenarios and not clearly repeated in the main rulebook. I only just relearned that I can clear a program space with a program card of another color. We also played Scenario 2 without the powerups from Scenario 1. Though both of those would have been more helpful than harmful
I fully expect that (d) is true.

Discussions of luck and strategy:
Spoiler (click to reveal)

Scenario 1 was a walkover. Never in danger of losing.
Scenario 2 played 3 times. Once we lost because we were stupid (split up) and didn't understand the rules. Second time, ripsawed a minion just before losing but otherwise never in danger. Third time, never in danger thanks to 3 red rolls in the first six turns.
Scenario 3 felt dangerous and then was suddenly over. We drew the card which brings the Boss adjacent to a player first round. That made us nervous, but it ended up being good strategy for damaging him, including one player doing four damage in one round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.