Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: The essence of America: Cubs 8, Indians 7 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
When I was young, I used to spend a lot of summer nights stretched out in the backyard of our San Antonio home, a small transistor radio next to my ear, listen to Jack Buck describe the events of the St. Louis Cardinals baseball team. While football would soon replace baseball as my favorite sport, it was and is still something I follow.

And being a Cards' fan, I knew all about the sad-sack Chicago Cubs.

So the 112th edition of the Fall Classic was one I followed closely. The series got better every game. Cleveland won three of the first four, usually a sign the Tribe was headed for their first series title since 1948. But this year's amazing edition of the Cubbies battled back, forcing what will be ranked as one of the best Game 7's in the storied history of America's game. I watched as much as the weather and Dish would allow - I missed the bottom of the ninth, no biggie - and it was worth it. What was touted as a pitcher's duel turned into a slugfest. The Cubs jumped out to a 5-1 lead, the Indians closed to 6-3 going into the 8th, then ripped off three runs on a walk, a double, and a massive homer to left field with two outs. It came down to the 10th inning, and the Cubs finally, after 108 years, got the title.

It was glorious.

And it was a marvelous four hours free from Trump this and Clinton that, from all the nastiness and pettiness that politics has evolved into. There was an amazing amount of sportsmanship displayed by both teams, not to mention the gritty determination of both clubs in battling and battling until someone finally stopped the runs.

Baseball needed a series like this, and the TV ratings reflected it, helped along by the masterful play-by-play from announcer Joe Buck (Jack's son), who knew when to talk and when to remain silent.

But America needed this more. America needed to be reminded of what it is right now -- a great country full of great people who can come together and enjoy an admittedly mindless diversion for a few hours before returning to the drudgery of everyday life, made more meaningful because baseball is America's original sport.

No, this doesn't change anything meaningful. But it reinforces my view that America isn't nearly as bad as Trump/Clinton/politicians/media pundits/social media like to scream at us. We're good people, it's a good country, and good things happen here. Sports are an abstraction, to be sure, but even an abstract can reflect reality.

On another note, this story is bizarre.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/11/03/technology/world-series-twit...
11 
 Thumb up
1.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Re: The essence of America: Cubs 8, Indians 7-PLUS-variations
'stickball' perhaps, as MOST everyone can "relate" for this in some form or manner of that 'manifestation' as well. whistle
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I had untreated cancer for four years straight. During that time I did many a thing: laughed, cried, ate, slept, played games, played music.

But the cancer was still there, growing, killing me...

until the cancer was removed and I recovered.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just FYI, the Indians beat the Blue Jays to get to the World Series.
It's not just about the US.
Hell of a game, though, eh?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Yep, Andy, it sure was one hell of a game.

The Jays are great, and earn my undying love for beating the crap out of Yankees lately. Wish Canada had another team or two in the bigs, but they represent really well. Do it in the NBA as well.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Sarxis wrote:
I had untreated cancer for four years straight. During that time I did many a thing: laughed, cried, ate, slept, played games, played music.

But the cancer was still there, growing, killing me...

until the cancer was removed and I recovered.

Damn, you're right. Everything is politics, everything is all about the power matrix. Foolish of me to mention the 99% of life that isn't about ballots and political parties. Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
Avatar
mbmbmb
Rome is burning, the Republic is in decline, and all we care about is our Bread and Circuses.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Sarxis wrote:
I had untreated cancer for four years straight. During that time I did many a thing: laughed, cried, ate, slept, played games, played music.

But the cancer was still there, growing, killing me...

until the cancer was removed and I recovered.

Damn, you're right. Everything is politics, everything is all about the power matrix. Foolish of me to mention the 99% of life that isn't about ballots and political parties. Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned.


Don't get me wrong, I get it. And I'm entirely content to live peaceably (and have done so) with anyone of any political, moral, religious persuasion.

But like cancer, you can only ignore those differences for so long before they become a systemic danger.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Rome is burning, the Republic is in decline, and all we care about is our Bread and Circuses.


Yeah, I know. RSP has been nothing but baseball and hockey all year.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
bjlillo wrote:
aiabx wrote:
Just FYI, the Indians beat the Blue Jays to get to the World Series.
It's not just about the US.
Hell of a game, though, eh?


We could annex Toronto anytime we wanted to. Don't get lippy with us.

But ... would we want to?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:



As the great sportswriter Red Barber said, "Baseball is only dull to a dull mind".

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Momiji Take-sumi
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
aiabx wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
Rome is burning, the Republic is in decline, and all we care about is our Bread and Circuses.


Yeah, I know. RSP has been nothing but baseball and hockey all year.


Populated by people who I'm sure enjoy discussing the one or two board games they own on a gaming website.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
When I was young, I used to spend a lot of summer nights stretched out in the backyard of our San Antonio home, a small transistor radio next to my ear, listen to Jack Buck describe the events of the St. Louis Cardinals baseball team. While football would soon replace baseball as my favorite sport, it was and is still something I follow.

And being a Cards' fan, I knew all about the sad-sack Chicago Cubs.

So the 112th edition of the Fall Classic was one I followed closely. The series got better every game. Cleveland won three of the first four, usually a sign the Tribe was headed for their first series title since 1948. But this year's amazing edition of the Cubbies battled back, forcing what will be ranked as one of the best Game 7's in the storied history of America's game. I watched as much as the weather and Dish would allow - I missed the bottom of the ninth, no biggie - and it was worth it. What was touted as a pitcher's duel turned into a slugfest. The Cubs jumped out to a 5-1 lead, the Indians closed to 6-3 going into the 8th, then ripped off three runs on a walk, a double, and a massive homer to left field with two outs. It came down to the 10th inning, and the Cubs finally, after 108 years, got the title.

It was glorious.

And it was a marvelous four hours free from Trump this and Clinton that, from all the nastiness and pettiness that politics has evolved into. There was an amazing amount of sportsmanship displayed by both teams, not to mention the gritty determination of both clubs in battling and battling until someone finally stopped the runs.

Baseball needed a series like this, and the TV ratings reflected it, helped along by the masterful play-by-play from announcer Joe Buck (Jack's son), who knew when to talk and when to remain silent.

But America needed this more. America needed to be reminded of what it is right now -- a great country full of great people who can come together and enjoy an admittedly mindless diversion for a few hours before returning to the drudgery of everyday life, made more meaningful because baseball is America's original sport.

No, this doesn't change anything meaningful. But it reinforces my view that America isn't nearly as bad as Trump/Clinton/politicians/media pundits/social media like to scream at us. We're good people, it's a good country, and good things happen here. Sports are an abstraction, to be sure, but even an abstract can reflect reality.

On another note, this story is bizarre.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/11/03/technology/world-series-twit...


Everything you say here is spot on, and that is coming from a diehard Cleveland Indians fan who not once, but twice, went to see the Indians play in old Municipal Stadium with the lowly diehard 4,500 other fans back in the 1980's - both on Father's Day, and both against the Red Sox (my dad was from central Massachusetts, which made him a Boston/Ted Williams fan by default). We never did stuff like this as a family when I was growing up, other than an occasional Notre Dame Football game, so to see the Indians in action was a real treat as a 9-year old kid - even if they sucked really, really bad. I am sad that the Indians lost last night, but it was a great run while it lasted, and one that no one expected to last beyond the Boston series in early October.

However, you got one part wrong. As much as I really like Joe Buck as a football announcer, (and always enjoyed listening to his play-by-play for the World Series in the past), his constant mangasms over Kyle Schwarber gave me fits of indigestion matched only by eating week-old poutine! Seriously, his effusive love for Kyle was sickening, and distracted from an otherwise excellent series of games. Shut up, Joe, we get it - you love Kyle! Save it for a hotel room, not the national airwaves!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
coal
Within 'Manson-Family Values Circle-Jerks' EVEN their 'Clowns' were "eviler"!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
baseball thats that boring boring renamed womens game called rounders that you merkins use as an excuse for public drunkeness to numb the tedium isn't it?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kafka wrote:
As the great sportswriter Red Barber said, "Baseball is only dull to a dull mind".

I was about to argue that most Americans agree with me, but that would clash with my general opinion that most Americans are dumbasses. They do agree with me, but they are still mostly morons. In any case, baseball is by far the most boring major american sport, and that is true even when golf is included. Even playing baseball is boring. I seriously just don't get why anyone gives a shit about the sport anymore.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
chrisnd wrote:
Everything you say here is spot on, and that is coming from a diehard Cleveland Indians fan who not once, but twice, went to see the Indians play in old Municipal Stadium with the lowly diehard 4,500 other fans back in the 1980's - both on Father's Day, and both against the Red Sox (my dad was from central Massachusetts, which made him a Boston/Ted Williams fan by default). We never did stuff like this as a family when I was growing up, other than an occasional Notre Dame Football game, so to see the Indians in action was a real treat as a 9-year old kid - even if they sucked really, really bad. I am sad that the Indians lost last night, but it was a great run while it lasted, and one that no one expected to last beyond the Boston series in early October.

However, you got one part wrong. As much as I really like Joe Buck as a football announcer, (and always enjoyed listening to his play-by-play for the World Series in the past), his constant mangasms over Kyle Schwarber gave me fits of indigestion matched only by eating week-old poutine! Seriously, his effusive love for Kyle was sickening, and distracted from an otherwise excellent series of games. Shut up, Joe, we get it - you love Kyle! Save it for a hotel room, not the national airwaves!

My sympathies to Cleveland -- they played a hell of a game, a hell of a series, and had a great year. But, like Buck pointed out, they're a young squad, built for the future. They'll win one.

The Schwarber comments were over the top, no doubt, but I ignore that kind of stuff anyway. Just like I ignored practically everything John Smoltz said. That's the filler between innings or when a new pitcher is warming up -- I tune that out. But when the ball is in play, Joe is superb.

Also agree Buck is great at football. Troy Aikman is far better at color commentary than Smoltz ever will be.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
aiabx wrote:
Just FYI, the Indians beat the Blue Jays to get to the World Series.
It's not just about the US.
Hell of a game, though, eh?


We could annex Toronto anytime we wanted to. Don't get lippy with us.


you tried in 1812 - How did that work out for you?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Rome is burning, the Republic is in decline, and all we care about is our Bread and Circuses.


No to mention we could wind up with Cheetos Nero.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
Avatar
mbmb
Sarxis wrote:
I had untreated cancer for four years straight. During that time I did many a thing: laughed, cried, ate, slept, played games, played music.

But the cancer was still there, growing, killing me...

until the cancer was removed and I recovered.


This is perfectly reasonable point. America has always had cancer--lots of cancers, even. Slavery is the most obvious one, which sowed discord for generations. The treatment certainly sucked, but who would argue we are not better for being free of that particular cancer (okay, some might argue that we still have slaves, due to human trafficking or exploitation of poor workers, but even they would generally concede that it's good that selling people's kids is no longer legal)?

So, yeah, we disagree about what America's current maladies are, but signs of our health as a society don't show us that there's nothing we still need to work on. That doesn't mean we can't celebrate an event which is immensely satisfying to a whole bunch of people, though. Just as the good doesn't eliminate the bad, neither does the bad eliminate the good.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The only World Series that would have been better than this one was back in 2002 when it was almost Cubs and Red Sox. But the Indians are an acceptable substitute for dream WS matchup.

Now we have the Indians, who are so bad and so cursed that they couldn't even win against a team that had 108 years of frustration. And we now have the Cubs. They just lost their identity. They are no longer the Lovable Losers. They aren't the team with the fanbase that is all about "next year." Now they are the team that has won one title. They have gone from a national icon to.... the Texas Rangers.

I'm right about that, yeah? Did the Rangers win it once? It's so hard to care about baseball.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
chrisnd wrote:
Everything you say here is spot on, and that is coming from a diehard Cleveland Indians fan who not once, but twice, went to see the Indians play in old Municipal Stadium with the lowly diehard 4,500 other fans back in the 1980's - both on Father's Day, and both against the Red Sox (my dad was from central Massachusetts, which made him a Boston/Ted Williams fan by default). We never did stuff like this as a family when I was growing up, other than an occasional Notre Dame Football game, so to see the Indians in action was a real treat as a 9-year old kid - even if they sucked really, really bad. I am sad that the Indians lost last night, but it was a great run while it lasted, and one that no one expected to last beyond the Boston series in early October.

However, you got one part wrong. As much as I really like Joe Buck as a football announcer, (and always enjoyed listening to his play-by-play for the World Series in the past), his constant mangasms over Kyle Schwarber gave me fits of indigestion matched only by eating week-old poutine! Seriously, his effusive love for Kyle was sickening, and distracted from an otherwise excellent series of games. Shut up, Joe, we get it - you love Kyle! Save it for a hotel room, not the national airwaves!

My sympathies to Cleveland -- they played a hell of a game, a hell of a series, and had a great year. But, like Buck pointed out, they're a young squad, built for the future. They'll win one.

The Schwarber comments were over the top, no doubt, but I ignore that kind of stuff anyway. Just like I ignored practically everything John Smoltz said. That's the filler between innings or when a new pitcher is warming up -- I tune that out. But when the ball is in play, Joe is superb.

Also agree Buck is great at football. Troy Aikman is far better at color commentary than Smoltz ever will be.


Here in Cleveland, we are privileged to have the radio voice of Tom Hamilton calling Tribe games. Now that Vin Scully has retired, "Hammy" is the GREATEST baseball voice in the game right now. I challenge anyone to prove otherwise!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
growlley wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
aiabx wrote:
Just FYI, the Indians beat the Blue Jays to get to the World Series.
It's not just about the US.
Hell of a game, though, eh?


We could annex Toronto anytime we wanted to. Don't get lippy with us.


you tried in 1812 - How did that work out for you?

Really well actually, we didn't annex Toronto.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
And it was a marvelous four hours free from Trump this and Clinton

Since AZ has all of a sudden become a battle ground state there were multiple political ads every single commercial break. The ads for Clinton and Trump bent over backward to demonize the opposition, a bunch of tedious "AT LEAST WE AREN'T THE OTHER CANDIDATE!" vitriol.

The Martha McSally ads were pretty good: mostly upbeat and listing her previous accomplishments and her bipartisan appeal. She indulged in a little ISIS fear mongering, but she's ex-Air Force and there's an Air Force base in Tucson so she's going to emphasize the relevance of the military.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.